Interviews are Over

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
If anyone is interested four folks and myself have been interviewed for a story about this hobby and what I do in lake St Clair here to help boaters.

It will soon be in an online SCUBA magazine. Another story is being done for Great Lakes Scuttlebutt magazine also.

I was told to watch for the first one sometime in the beginning of May.

I might not be your ordinary pirate finding treasure for myself every day, but I am finding treasures for others and the rewards are just as good if not better.

I realize some disagree with my adventures but I live my life the way I feel is right for me. I am already getting calls to dive for folks but the water just isn't warm enough for me to want to take the plunge. Next month will probably change everything, as more boats are going into the marina's. There are now 4 boats in the water at my marina and it holds over 200. Some of the larger marina's around here have over 700 slips.

My marina and where my boat is has a black dot on it. The marina next door holds over 800 boats and the one next to that is even larger. I would venture to guess there are over eight thousand boats in a 15 mile area here. That might be a low estimate.

Anyway, it gives you all an idea of where I play every day.

Attachments

• Aerial Shot_01.jpg
    Aerial Shot_01.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 475
Sounds like fun.. Not sure if anyone disagrees with what your doing and even if they do you shouldn't give a sh!t (if it were me). Congrats and keep up the fun exciting adventures and looking forward to a link to the magazine articles.

Very cool! That marina makes our inland lake marinas look like a boat dock on a farm pond. I can imagine the $$$ it takes to rent a slip?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun.. Not sure if anyone disagrees with what your doing and even if they do you shouldn't give a sXXX (if it were me). Congrats and keep up the fun exciting adventures and looking forward to a link to the magazine articles.
I agree with Steve. And your not the only one that dives and helps others. I think I told you I meet a guy a few years ago that does the same here in Annapolis. So what your doing is not uncommon and others should mind there own business.

Congrats. I’ve got finds that were in magazines in the US, UK and Scotland and another is in the works. I’ve been interviewed by our local tv news team and write columns for 2 newspapers.

First of all, it’s good publicity for our hobby. Second it’s great publicity for YOU. I do a lot of marketing and it has paid off big time with people contacting me to search their properties. I average 2-4 permissions a month and many are multicentury, multimillion dollar houses. Lots easier when you don’t have to ask for permissions. Good luck.

You mean .... we're finally going to have proof that this mysterious scuba fellow (and his type ilk) actually exist ? :?:

But you realize this is detrimental to your cause: The moment fellow scuba enthusiasts see this cool avenue for their sport/hobby, is when they think : "Gee, why am I not doing that too ?". And they rush out to join the fray. And presto, you have competition.

Kind of like the first guys that ever md'd parks, and had un-ending silver. So they gleefully tell their buddies. In 5 short years, there's not enough pickens to go around :laughing:

You mean .... we're finally going to have proof that this mysterious scuba fellow (and his type ilk) actually exist ? :?:

But you realize this is detrimental to your cause: The moment fellow scuba enthusiasts see this cool avenue for their sport/hobby, is when they think : "Gee, why am I not doing that too ?". And they rush out to join the fray. And presto, you have competition.

Kind of like the first guys that ever md'd parks, and had un-ending silver. So they gleefully tell their buddies. In 5 short years, there's not enough pickens to go around :laughing:

Tom, I could only hope. I have been getting bombarded with calls every single day. I don't need this much fun. BUT most divers will never do what I do. diving in muck and pitch black water in a marina is absolutely nothing a diver likes. Along with dock lines, chairs, tables, BBQ grills and everything else on the bottom in a marina. Not only those hazards BUT, the possibility of electric current in the water also. You need special equipment, a different frame of mind to dive in those conditions and a desire to help other boaters. If I could relax and find gold on my own and not get 10 calls a day, I would be content

Tom, I could only hope. I have been getting bombarded with calls every single day. I don't need this much fun. ...

That's a good way to think of it. Any of us md'rs are *generally* not doing it "to get rich" or "to have it all for ourselves". Instead, it's just for fun, helping others, and making friends. No amount of "having it all for ourselves" can ever substitute for that.

I'm always amazed at the amount of items that just seem to find their way overboard or to the bottom one way or another. Perhaps it has to do with all those pirates drinking all the :wine2: while on the boat!

But I'm sure a number of calls come in for things like lost props, which on a 500k yacht is worth getting back. Or they just NEED those Ray-Bans back! :cool3:

I think this sometimes, but you know what, I don't see many people deep water detecting.
Lot's of people get into scuba and don't stick with it, now add in another hobby many people pickup and never stick with like MD'ing and it's no longer a recipe for hordes of newbies.

It is interesting how much goes overboard. Was talking to an acquaintance yesterday that fishes in the river and he said he himself had lost two phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... I don't see many people deep water detecting.
Lot's of people get into scuba and don't stick with it, now add in another hobby many people pickup and never stick with like MD'ing and it's no longer a recipe for hordes of newbies.

Yes. I too thought "un-tapped goodies" in the mid 1990s. And got certified for scuba. Thinking I'd be easily availing myself of un-tapped riches! Oh but if it were only that easy :roll:

It is interesting how much goes overboard. Was talking to an acquaintance yesterday that fishes in the river and he said he himself had lost two phones....

Yup. I keep trying to tell scuba-detective to fly out to CA and find that $12.99 zebco fishing reel & pole. That I dropped over the side of Monterey pier, when I was in 8th grade back in 1975-ish. But he's mean and stubborn and won't fly out and find it for me ! Tsk tsk. :laughing:

Scuba knows you are not serious. If you were serious you would send him round trip first class air fare tickets and a check for 2 grand along with lodging and food for the three days that he would be there.

Back
Top Bottom