Best way to clean green crust off a 10k ring? ***Update- All Cleaned up***

Slimpickuns

Forum Supporter
Well Guys, I hit it with a little bit of electrolysis as you guys recommended which took care of the green crust no problem, then went out and bought a dremel and a polishing accessory kit and polished it and here are the results, whatcha guys think? Pics below...

Hey Gang!

Need some advice, what would be the best way to clean green crust of a 10k ring? Here's the ring in question..

Attachments

• IMG_7780.JPG
    IMG_7780.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,988
  • IMG_7781.JPG
    IMG_7781.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,557
  • IMG_7782.JPG
    IMG_7782.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,741
  • IMG_7783.JPG
    IMG_7783.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,566
  • IMG_7813.JPG
    IMG_7813.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,246
  • IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7816.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_7817.JPG
    IMG_7817.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_7818.JPG
    IMG_7818.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Last edited:
Electrolysis. Someone here can help out as to what to use as anode and cathode, which is positive and negative and where to put the ring. This I'm not too sure of myself, there is conflicting information out there.

I've found that Wrights silver polish, a micro fiber cloth and a few toothpics get the job done in a relatively short amount of time. That's a nice chunky ring you got there;)

Electrolysis. Someone here can help out as to what to use as anode and cathode, which is positive and negative and where to put the ring. This I'm not too sure of myself, there is conflicting information out there.

I agree with electrolysis. I cleaned a few 10K rings that way. A few minutes in the electrolysis and then a tooth brush with a little soap works wonders on low karat gold. Here is a link to a 8K ring I found last year and cleaned this way.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=97135

My vote is electrolysis as well followed up with bar keeper friend and tooth brush or micro cloth. If dont have one.... they are cheap and simple to make using a phone charger, spoon, coffee cup and gator clips in salt water.

Dew

Huh, green crud on gold? Is it salt water that does that? :?:

I have found 2 gold rings that were in fresh water for years and they came up bright and shiny.

Nice ring BTW.

I would recommend what the others say.. But I have never seen the green stuff on gold.. When I did the gold turned out to be plated or GF, just because its marked doesn't mean its real... I have found plenty of marked fake stuff! :(.. I would make sure that is 100% real. Test it or take it to a jeweler to confirm. Good Luck!

I would recommend what the others say.. But I have never seen the green stuff on gold.. When I did the gold turned out to be plated or GF, just because its marked doesn't mean its real... I have found plenty of marked fake stuff! :(.. I would make sure that is 100% real. Test it or take it to a jeweler to confirm. Good Luck!

Ditto, the second ring I found was white gold. I figured it was junk but what caught my eye was the fact it was clean as a whistle and just came out of waist deep water and 7 inches of sand/mud.

Closer look showed 10k on the inside.

A little Tarnex in a baby food jar work for me. Soak the ring in it for a couple of minutes and brush it with an old tooth brush, rinse it off, your done. Cleans sliver too.

Cool, thanks for the advice and comments guys, I'll look into the electrolysis method... Also, in regards to the green crust, wouldn't that be caused by the salt water and the other alloys mixed in with the gold, i.e. copper/nickle? I'll post it again once I get it cleaned up, :grin:

My vote is electrolysis as well followed up with bar keeper friend and tooth brush or micro cloth. If dont have one.... they are cheap and simple to make using a phone charger, spoon, coffee cup and gator clips in salt water.

Dew

Hey Dew, Thanks for the list, I have all those items available, sweet!

Once connected and turned on if the ring doesnt bubble..... switch the gador clips. A good way to do the spoon is bend the handle so it hangs on the cup you dont want the ring and spoon to touch. Rings in the salt water a LONG time can leach the other metals in them like copper that causes the green crud that the sand sticks to.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom