Found my first shield nickel...

Waveoff

Elite Member
As some of you may know, my Etrac died the other day.:( However, my desire to detect did not die! Time to bust out the 'ol Vaquero...

I went back to an 1870's farm house and property I have permission to. I decided to work an area I had previously gridded with my Etrac. That small area coughed up two Rosie's and a few wheats when I hit it with the Etrac running an open screen with the Fe line blocked out from 27 to the bottom of the screen, manual 25 sensitivity, deep off, fast off and 4 tone conductive. I dug every solid and iffy target in this area. The coil I used was the NEL Tornado.

I went back through this area with the Vaquero and pulled out several more targets. I was running the discrimination halfway between iron and nickels, power balanced and using the 11x8 coil. I found a horseshoe, 3 pieces of horse tack, two clad dimes and this toasted shield nickel. I love how you can whip this machine around like a mad man and still find stuff relatively deep. However, I did dig an ton of trash today. Something I don't really do with the Etrac!

7c1bvCF.jpg

ldnkwSY.jpg

rRRofmu.jpg

Congrats on the shield nickel! I have only found 1 and I think, meaning one for sure but really rough, the other I am pretty sure I see a 5 but very rough. Fabulous that you had another machine to continue on digging! Good luck on your machine repairs too!

Love those nickles. Great find!

Thanks!

Love those shield nickles. Happy hunting

Thank you!

That's a crusty one for sure but a great find regardless! Nice one!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Congrats on the shield nickel! They don't show up often.

Thanks!

Wow :wow: major congrats! Awesome coin!

Thank you!

Congrats on the shield nickel! I have only found 1 and I think, meaning one for sure but really rough, the other I am pretty sure I see a 5 but very rough. Fabulous that you had another machine to continue on digging! Good luck on your machine repairs too!

Thank you! I thought it was a 2 cent piece at first because the 5 looked like a 2 initially.

The "old tech" come through:lol: Congrats on the nickel!

Thanks! Tesoro's never disappoint.:)

Nice find! I found my first a few weeks ago. Yours is more crusty, but has more detail. Mine was smooth with faint vertical lines of the shield visible. Nice piece of 19th century history you have there.

Super congrats on your first Shield Nickel ! I've been doing this for quite a few years and have yet to find one . Thank heaven for those lightweight little Tesoros ! I just picked up a used , like new Mojave at a good price and I'm having a ball with it .

congrats on your 1st shield nickel:D

Thank you!

Congrats on the nickel. Vaqueros are the bomb!

Thank you! I do love Tesoro's!

Sweet find! Nice job

Thanks!

Killer find... Congrats!!!

Im still looking for my first shield nickel... one day

Thanks! Hope you find one someday soon as well!

Nice find! I found my first a few weeks ago. Yours is more crusty, but has more detail. Mine was smooth with faint vertical lines of the shield visible. Nice piece of 19th century history you have there.

Thank you! I actually thought of you when I found it. Congrats on yours as well!

Super congrats on your first Shield Nickel ! I've been doing this for quite a few years and have yet to find one . Thank heaven for those lightweight little Tesoros ! I just picked up a used , like new Mojave at a good price and I'm having a ball with it .

Thanks! I hope you find one soon! Enjoy your new machine!

I have not found one yet...CongratZ!

Thanks!

Making adjustments on the fly Fred. Congrats on the Shield and all the rest. Trapper

Thank you, Trapper! :)

Hey, regarding "crusty" : Let's be honest: If our coins came out of the ground "candy apple clean", then this hobby wouldn't be half the fun, right ? The "ground kiss" is what makes it fun! If we wanted candy apple clean ones, we'd just buy them @ the coin-store or ebay after all, haha

Congrats on your first Shield nickel.

Back
Top Bottom