• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Final target is a bucket lister

Chipk

Elite Member
I am not a fan of Standard Time and this time of the year. It gets dark too soon and cuts heavily into metal detecting.

Was curb strip hunting near the church that yielded my Seated Liberty quarter and Capped Bust Half Dime. It was getting dark and I was having a hard time seeing. So I was heading to the car. Got a last signal and it didn’t ring up as anything I recognized and decided to pass it up. I was tired and dinner was waiting.

Took two steps and then spun around and relocated it. Knelt down and dug the plug and with the help of the pinpointer I located the target. Bigger than a penny or dime, I decided I had my second nickel of the day. Slipped it into the pouch and then headed home.

After dinner I decided to go empty out my finds pouch and trash bucket. Sorted all of the trash into the recycling barrels and then started pulling the various prizes from my pouch. I pulled out a number of pennies and three were wheats. There were several clad dimes and a shiny Jefferson nickel. There was a key and a big lock as well as two toy cars.

I thought that was it but I dug back into the pouch to be sure and tucked in the cornerI felt another coin. I realized this was the second nickel sized coin and I pulled it into the light.

Oh! My! Lord!

The first thing I saw was a shield!!! I flipped it over and saw stars and a big 5!

One of my bucket list coins. A Shield Nickel.

I gently wiped away the remaining dirt and saw the date. 1875.

It has little bumps on the surface of both sides, otherwise it’s absolutely beautiful. I’ve been told the bumps are bits of rust and I’m not sure how to remove them or if I should even try.

For the time being I’m leaving it alone.

I’ve wanted one of these for a long time. I’m very proud of this one.

Attachments

• C9E4B4A1-B24C-4D0E-9D01-C471FBE46ADB.jpg
    C9E4B4A1-B24C-4D0E-9D01-C471FBE46ADB.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 589
  • 7E6DBFA8-BC98-4B4E-A742-6993C47B68D9.jpg
    7E6DBFA8-BC98-4B4E-A742-6993C47B68D9.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 573
Congrats! Nicest Dug Shield Nickel Ive ever seen. All mine are completely toasted.

Ground must of protected that coin. They never come out like that! Wow crongrats on a killer find!!

That Shield Nickel is in great condition, It's weird how often we find something good close to where we park...Congrats!!!

That dug shield nickel is the nicest I've seen posted, nice work! A capped bust too? Gotta be VERY scarce, especially down South! Congrats!

By FAR the best condition Shield nickel out of the ground I’ve ever seen or seen posted. The ones I’ve found read 2-3 numbers below a Jefferson.

Thats a humdinger for sure. Very good detail on that! Id be very proud of that coin for also. You just never know when or where you will find such a gem, keeps it interesting for sure. In 1994 I was on a creek where there was a old rock foundation id hunted deer at when young and me and my wife walked 1/2 mile back there with my new white's and found one coin and it was a 1870 shield. That was pre computer/smart phone days and i had to wait till i got back home to look into my lil book of coins to even know what it was. Its my only one and still oldest coin still today. Hard to find that old of coins where i hunt, but could be tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom