Digging probe spring steel

pplinker

Forum Supporter
This is a question about a tool or accessory but I figured more bottle people would see it here.

The last time the creek was down I waded around looking for bottles. I noticed a place where bottles and glass washed into. Most of the bottles were broke of course but there might have been some under the mud.

Was thinking about getting a probe but there's no old cars around to get the spring steel from, even if i knew what it looked like.

The oil dip stick on a vehicle is pretty springy...is that spring steel? Would something like that work if you put a long handle on it.

Thanks for any answers.

Penny

Thank you so much Rudy!

Home Depot doesn't say if it is spring steel or not. I don't really understand the purpose of it being spring steel. But I cobbled together a probe from a piece of springy-like cb antennae and a sawed off broom handle and JB weld. Will only be going in the soft creek mud.. Will post a picture when I get my camera back.

Was thinking dipstick metal might work but I don't have any dipsticks to spare anyway.

thanks again,
Penny

Thank you so much Rudy!

Home Depot doesn't say if it is spring steel or not. I don't really understand the purpose of it being spring steel. But I cobbled together a probe from a piece of springy-like cb antennae and a sawed off broom handle and JB weld. Will only be going in the soft creek mud.. Will post a picture when I get my camera back.

Was thinking dipstick metal might work but I don't have any dipsticks to spare anyway.

thanks again,
Penny

You are welcome and good luck. :yes:

If you can find an old steel fishing pole from the 50's/60's..sometimes you see them at the flea markets or garage sales for a coupla dollars...those are spring steel!...like a Fencers rapier! Theyd make a great probe...

Cool...thank you. I'll have to check the yard sales or auctions.

This is a question about a tool or accessory but I figured more bottle people would see it here.

The oil dip stick on a vehicle is pretty springy...is that spring steel? Would something like that work if you put a long handle on it.

Thanks for any answers.

Penny

No. You need something like these. Minimum 3 ft (5 ft. for deeper dumps). You will find it worthwile to keep searching junkyards to find some old big car with trunk torsion rods. That's what I made these from. Non-spring steel is no good because they get bent up very quickly. There are places that sell probes. You may also check places that sell probes for finding pipes etc.

Attachments

• Probes.jpg
    Probes.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,359
No. You need something like these. Minimum 3 ft (5 ft. for deeper dumps). You will find it worthwile to keep searching junkyards to find some old big car with trunk torsion rods. That's what I made these from. Non-spring steel is no good because they get bent up very quickly. There are places that sell probes. You may also check places that sell probes for finding pipes etc.

Thanks Glasshopper. Will need to stop in a junk yard, maybe they can help.

Penny

Today I received my real spring steel probe. I went to the creek and tried it out. Didn't find anything yet. But this is amazing. It has a lot of different signals, you just have to listen. As soon as I find something I'm gonna post it on here.

Today I received my real spring steel probe. I went to the creek and tried it out. Didn't find anything yet. But this is amazing. It has a lot of different signals, you just have to listen. As soon as I find something I'm gonna post it on here.

Yes, you'll learn the differences of what the probe is hitting. Like bricks and stone give a gritty feel, while glass (and a lesser extent) pottery is smooth. A whole or near whole bottle will give a solid "thunk!" and broken glass will sound squeaky and let the probe go though. Just like in metal detecting, the more practice the better you get.

Back
Top Bottom