Troy Shadow X5

Foundit

From what I have read they are not for the beginner, I purchased one for 400$, I decided on this because they are supposedly water proof including box, the bad reviews were generally the price tag on a new one, and a few griped about it "picking up to much iron, and"sensitive on brass and lead, picked up a lead shot deep down" well the lead shot deep down comment peeked my interest to say the least, and I dig everything anyway, never know what relic is hidden under all that rust, and I don't mind finding brass in the slightest, any way, it sounded like a good winter machine as I live on the far northern coast of California, doesn't freeze, but man does it rain alot, so I would love any and all sagely advice or words of wisdom, input, anything would be great. :cool:

I've owned mine for a couple of years and have been very pleased with it. It is easy to use as long as you take some time to learn it. It does perform well on small lead. It can withstand rain but not being submerged. So be careful. One thing I like is that if I have any questions I can call Troy and he will take the time to answer any questions I may have. He's a really nice fella. Best of luck with it.

The minelab excal is waterproof to 200 ft. The fisher CZ-21 is waterproof to 250 ft. Whites has some waterproof machines, and so does Tesoro. If it's that wet there, I would consider a waterproof machine and not merely a waterresistant one. It's too much money to take that chance for me. Then again, alot of folks in the U.K. seem to like the Troy and it rains a fair bit over there. Perhaps there is someone doing waterproof mods to them...?

Good luck and HH

The Troy machines are very similar to some of the Tesoro machines. Both are good quality machines that seem to last forever. You made a good purchase, but put a rain cover on the control box. It might be water resistant, but there's no point in taking a chance just to save $10.

Thanks for all the input, I dont exactly hunt the downpours, but the in-between times I would love to, water resistant is fine, its just a soggy sponge everywhere around here till summer, and I will definitely make a cover for the box regaurdless,
All in all I think I made a good buy, for a total of around $500 including shipping and tax, I will recieve, Sunray Gold headphones, Troy X5, a 5in coil and the stock coil. Yay, finally a second machine, my Xterra won't be lonely anymore. :D
I am glad to hear that Troy is around and will offer assistance.

I recieved my X5, right away I was excited, the machine looked as if it has never been used, easy set up, this machine is sturdy but very light, I took it out to some spots in the yard that I knew gave me iffy signals with my XTerra, and BAM! no problem with the X5, the pinpoint on this thing is superior to the XTerra, I love my XTerra, it is a great machine, it has taught me a lot due to it's simplicity to operate and understand, but I think I will be using the X5 more than not over the XTerra, the Troy X5 is sound only, no visual display, it has a good diversity of options when it comes to GB, masking, beach hunting, etc. I have only gotten out in the back for a short time due to the buckets of rain comming down latley, I have a few old yards I am going to go over again when the rain quits, I hope Troy can start producing these machines again, If anyone else has a X5 or a X3 lets talk, I know I am going on and on but I am excited and must celebrate this most positive ebay purchase, I will ramble in better detail when I get a good 5 or 6 hour hunt in a couple of days. yaaaay :cool12: the Sunray Gold head phones seem to work pretty awesome as well.

Back
Top Bottom