Feels like I've been on Antiques Roadshow

Stevo

Forum Supporter
Hey all.
After watching American Pickers, I came to the conclusion that this lighthouse lamp is Trench Art. It was made by my Grandfather in a machine shop on a Navy ship on its way to Okinawa in 1945. It came to me after he died last year. I googled it and found this clip from the Roadshow. I was amazed how similar they are. The one in the vid is slightly bigger, and has a solid bronze base. Mine has a similar base, but smaller, screwed to a round wood base. He re-wired it in 2002, so its like new. There isn't much to find on these, after a bit of research. I could only find this vid, and a pic of another. That must be why they are worth so much. It makes a cool keepsake even cooler. Thanks for looking.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/se...ls/wwii-trench-art-lighthouse-lamp--201403T03

Attachments

• IMGP0001 (3).jpg
    IMGP0001 (3).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 349
That is a beautiful keepsake, I would not part with it knowing your grandpa made it.

Thanks for all of the kind comments, guys. The picture doesn't do it justice. All of the lines in between the bricks are black, making a cool contrast to the brass. I found two more pics of these, and mine is the nicest one I've seen, so far. I learned tonight that my Grandpa was a pattern maker since high school, so he hit the ground running when he made this piece. He retired in his late 60s in that profession. I now remember I still have some cool plastic toys that came out of his foundry shop in the 70s. Space shuttle, etc. All the grandkids got them. I'm probably the only one that still has them around.

Very cool piece of family history. My Dad made an ash tray with a Lockheed P-38 on it. The base is an artillery shell and the plane is made out of 50 cal. bullets. At the start of the war, he worked at a P-38 aircraft plant in California until he was old enough to enlist.

Back
Top Bottom