Newbie from Mobile AL

twh999

Hello to everyone. I am from Mobile, AL but have been living in Spain for the last 11 months due to work. I am living at the Port of Sotogrande right on the Mediterranean Sea and can walk to the beach to hunt.

Three months ago I bought a DFX and one of the first things I found was a 1952 half dollar that I lost as a 10 year old boy 46 years ago. I knew about where it should be and it was discovered about 25 feet from where I started looking (4" deep). That will probably be my "best find" no matter how long I enjoy this hobby. One cool thing about this find was that my parents are still living (in their late 70's) at the same home place and they were there watching as the DFX sounded off and showed 50 cents. They were very happy as I dug and found the old coin.

I brought the DFX back with me to Spain to test the beaches when I returned in May and that has been a good move. So far I have found about 140 euros in coin which today is around $225. I have also found a few pieces of jewelry but nothing really valuable. 1 small gold band, 1-.925 silver ring, 1- 24 inch .925 silver necklace and 3 or 4 more pieces not worth mentioning.

I do my beach hunting on the weekends from before daylight until about 10 a.m. while no one is out yet.

Well it has been fun here on the beach but I should be back in Mobile within the month. Home sweet home!!

Tommy

Welcome to the forums.

Awesome that you found your long lost 50 cent piece from so long ago !

Welcome aboard the forum hope you find many more good finds . Thats a great story . Must have a good memory I can't remember anything I lost 46 years ago except a wife . lol anyway welcome

Welcome aboard... neat story...must be a reason that has stuck in your mind for so many years... what's '... the rest of the story'..? RickO

Welcome from out west in California! Nice story! Say, how about some pics of what you dig up in Spain! Spent some time there courtesy of Uncle Sam, US Navy.:D

Welcome aboard from LA (lower Alabama) :spin:

I will be in the Gulf Shores area in October with the family if you would like to get together one afternoon, morning or what not for a little hunting.

Welcome from out west in California! Nice story! Say, how about some pics of what you dig up in Spain! Spent some time there courtesy of Uncle Sam, US Navy.:D

OK SeabeeRon here is what was found this past weekend on the beach. I hunt from 7:00 am until about 10 each day.
Sat. the total was 26 euros (about $40) 2 ear rings and some pre euro Spanish coins.
Sunday the total was 20 euros (about $30), 1 bracelet and a pre euro coin.
Also a picture of the rings I have found here in Spain.
Tommy

Attachments

• 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 003 (2).jpg
    003 (2).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 011 (2).jpg
    011 (2).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 271
Welcome aboard... neat story...must be a reason that has stuck in your mind for so many years... what's '... the rest of the story'..? RickO

Rick, in 1961 around our house 50 cents was not something a kid was supposed to be playing with much less "loosing". I guess it was a enough of a significant event that it really stuck with me.

Sorry there isn't more of a story to tell.

Tommy

WOW Tommy!!:shock::wow: That's a heck of allot better than I do on the coins on my beach!! Congratz!

Back
Top Bottom