Irma Was No Good For Us Down Here

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
All of us look forward to tropical storms of some type to do some kind of magical erosion that will open up all the treasure that’s out there. I know that when tropical storm Fay came by in 2008 I was out there and had what I thought was a successful hunt being a newbie to wet sand hunting with my CZ-20. Based on my past experience, I was hoping for similar or even better results with Irma. I have been out for 3 hunts since Hurricane Irma passed. I have hunted my 3 main frequented beaches and all I can say is that conditions have been abysmal. Only on 1 beach, and in one specific dry sand dune area that had grasses and palm trees knocked out, uncovering some older stuff did, I think that Irma positively impacted hunting conditions for a detectorist. All 3 beaches had tons and tons of sand deposited into the water from the shore line out creating a white sea floor visible from above. The time that I hunted those areas yielded practically nothing and the bottom was extremely uneven on my hunts. The wet sand on one beach gained an almost endless slope into the beach that yielded almost no targets. At another, there was a bit of erosion, but it was minimal. These have been my observations and those of a couple of other SouthFla pirates on here that I have spoken with. I have also heard the same comments by a couple of other pirates that I’ve run into on Miami Beach. All in all, the consensus seems to be the same – that conditions are really bad and it’s going to take a while for some type of normalcy. Below is my last hunt Thursday, Sept. 28th. It was so bad that I stopped hunting after about 2½ hours and just headed home. I just might become a dry sand hunter again until things improve and who knows when that’ll be. What I think, and I’m hoping for, is that it’s going to take a while of consistent weather patterns to redistribute sand around and maybe then will some of the older stuff that was blown out will start to show up. At least that’s my hope!

Attachments

• 9-28-17.jpg
    9-28-17.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 447
You found a ring, not a good one but still, that's more jewlery than what I've been finding. I agree lots of sand movement but not moved in positive manner. Ugh.

Storms this year just pulled and pushed sand ..... mostly moving our LARGE outer sand bar to shore. We have all the renurishment needed IN the water..... even trash is hidden.

Sounds like a good way to keep travelers away :secret: Something I’d probably do. My beaches are ruined from to many people thinking it’s a one scoop winner winner chicken dinner wonderland thanks to people with loose lips. If it’s true, I hope you’ll recover soon and get some of that sand pulled out

Personally, i dont care how many are out there, so its not a snow bird thing for me. Sand is new packed and anyone looking for recent drops best have good timing. Starting to get into the cooler months...... people wont be going as deep and staying in for shorter periods. Winter hunting requires you to rotate your beach hunting more.

Dew

Irma stirred up so much sand it silted up the beaches. The storm put so much sand in suspension out miles from shore. When it calmed down, the sand fell like 2 feet of snow around the entire state. On the bright side, it can only get better.

Been up your way IMA.....you guys got renurishment..... then the storms move everything in too. BUT..... i noticed it tried to cut near shore when we got some larger wave action, which closed up quickly, we will see what these larger tide swings do in the coming months.

south palm beach beaches

Thanks for the input. I'm heading out again this morning. Will hit my 3 main south Florida ocean beaches. will let you know.
As far as my sand shark is concerned, I know I have to dig most everything. I generally stick to the water and wet sand.

I may try tomorrow a beach that I've only had modest success at but that may not have been impacted as much by Irma. Let's see. Saturday morning I will probably go for an early morning dry sand hunt. I've actually had, even though they've been few, a much better gold ratio in the dry than water hunting this year.

I feel your pain. When it gets so bad you hope to find a pull tab you know your wasting your time. I haven't seen gold in go long I started looking at the parking lots at Wal Mart for something worth taking home. It's just sad here.

Back
Top Bottom