Car mechanics please read

I had my starter rebuilt on my vw beetle, i think it was like 30 bucks parts and labor to pull it, rebuild it and re install.

I had my starter rebuilt on my vw beetle, i think it was like 30 bucks parts and labor to pull it, rebuild it and re install.
Now there was a car you could fix. Most of the problems today seem to go back to the manufacture, EPA and safety regulations. My bugs all got over 30 miles to the gallon but finally couldn't keep up with the regulators. We are safer and our air is cleaner but DYI repairs are fading into the past.

Fixin Cars

My Chevy Malibu's air conditioner worked half of the time. Temp's were climbing over 100. I googled "how do I fix my 2011 Malibu A/C". I started reading the posts and when I got to the fifth one down, his symptoms sounded exactly like mine. I bought the part he said to buy, installed it, and walla, problem fixed.
A really good friend of mine is a mechanic........ I love it.

Think that' something! I paid $600 to replace an in tank fuel pump and thought the thing failed after a month. I was truly dissed and went on the internet to find out all I had to do was turn the ignition on for 10 minutes-turn it off- wait 10 seconds and it started!

Wow so someone ran the ground to a freaking hose clamp???? :laughing:

I would go over that car a second time if that's the case. No telling what other ghetto rigged jobs they did to it.

Replaced the battery cable and found out that the ground in the old cable was attached to a hose backet of some sort! Reattached the ground to the block and everything seems to be fine now. The mechanic assured me that the old starter was bad and he tested it before replacing it. I'm surprised the car even ran before with the ground being messed up like that. We have only had the car for a couple weeks so who knows how long it's been like that.

Glad you got your grd problem figured out. I'm late to the dance as usual but anyways, I've been ASE Master certified since 1990 and I can almost assure you that you didn't need that starter. You can always ask for your old parts to be returned to you after the repair. Since it was a starter there may have been a core charge involved depending on if the new one was "new" or rebuilt. Some techs feel a trust is being violated just tell them you're going to clean them up and possibly use them for art projects. ;) That way they don't get all butt hurt over it. As far as putting contacts in a starter that is how old, has how many miles and how many heat cycles? Not me! I'll tell my customers point blank, I wont do it. This is my diagnoses, this is what's best for your car, you and your family. Not worth having your daughter stranded somewhere to save that kind of $ especially when it would cost about the same for me to pull it out, do it and put it back. I would recommend however that you pull it back off of the block and put one of these behind it, use dielectric grease on both sides and bolt it back on. The little teeth will grab the metal and keep it from coming loose, plus provide the best connection. ;) Try to find a stainless one if you can, they have some that are zinc coated....:lol: Any hardware store will have em.

ext-star-washer.jpg

Depending on the age and condition of the cable I may even go as far as replacing it since you'll be there, shouldn't be more than about $20-$30 for one. This brings back memories of a Honda accord my daughter bought and I almost put a new main relay in it just for kicks because they are so problematic. I didn't do it and got a phone call in the middle of the night 3 wks later to go rescue her, 40 miles away! Got there, checked it, beat on it a bit and drove it home. $60 relay :roll:

Back
Top Bottom