Can I Legally Restrain My Father?

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
I cleaned the last of the snow off my truck, cleared the last snow from the driveway, then noticed one of my snow shovels was missing. I found it in my fathers hands, 89 years old and he said he could at least clean the front porch and stairs.

When I told him this was what they call heart attack snow because of the weight he said he already had one.

He is not a big guy but after serving in WWII and Korea he has my respect.

When he got done cleaning the stairs he went to visit an old person.

Staying active (within reason) likely helps him stay healthier than he might otherwise, but you are wise to caution him to not exert himself beyond what he should for his age, remind him his children/grandchildren would like to see him still around at 99 and beyond.

I was kind of kidding, but he is very active. I ask him not to shovel heavy snow but he says he goes slow and takes it easy.

As for the grandkids, his oldest GREAT grand kid is already 14 years old. The youngest will be 1 next week.

Yesterday he came home with a brand new chain saw to cut up the branches that fell during the storm. I said you don't even know how to start it much less cut the branches and drop a tree. I got the look and he said I don't but YOU do. :laughing: I admit we do have good times together, especially since we don't take life to seriously. We both think have a good time because you won't make it out alive. :D

He sounds like my father, 83.

My dad shovels snow off of his drive, then goes and shovels a few neighbor's drives.

There's no stopping them!

I am 71 and so glad my daughter lives in Wisconsin so she can't nag me. The son could care less and deep down wishes I would die so people would not remind him I can do more at my age than he can half my age.

Yesterday I started the snow blower and cleaned the walk from the house to the pole barn and around to the front of the house.
Started the tractor, went up and cleaned snow from around the Mail box and part of the road so the county snow bplow doesn't undo my mail box work.

Got ready after that and went to my wifes mother house got my snow blower I keep there out and cleaned that drive way.

Once back home I split some fire wood and carried it in the house for the night and to fill the furnace this morning.

Going to go cut some fire wood today.

mpO0uor.jpg

First pass up the drive way.

vXHAmc1.jpg

The drive way at wifes moms.

In the summer I keep this ditch mowed. Always wear my base ball cleats.

The saying is use it or loose it, I truly believe that. Elderly people I know who are active usually know their limits and stay active.

:D Al

Funny thing about being old and strong and spry...Able to outwork guys half our age, dependable, show up and get 'er done kind of guys, wont screw the pooch or steal anything....Theres no end of work offers pouring in! Case in point:

The Mgr down at the local StopNRob offered me a job this very week!...Said, "Hey Mud, how would you like to come in here early on Tues and Thurs and stock the beer cooler?" I'm like, "What!? Would I! Are you pulling my friggin' chain?" "Can I take it out in trade?":laughing::laughing:

Theres another old guy at my Coin Club, In his 80's that actually hand shovels driveways for extra cash!..Said hes got one client that has a 150' run...Now this guy is half my size, little skinny fellow, but wirey and very spry...He also metal detects....Very fine Gentleman even... Youth is wasted on the young...

I hear ya. I'm 69 and retired but I can't stay still for five minutes. Now that I'm retired I don't mind winter as it offers me some good exercise shoveling snow and doing things in the house I have been putting off. I sure don't feel my age. I know my limits.;):D

My Great Grandfather when he was still alive back in the 90's lived in MI's Upper Peninsula. If you didn't want him outside you better be shoveling him out before 8am or he would be out there doing it himself. He was 102 shoveling off his raised walkway going from the street to his front door. Just a bunch of old saw horses her had with some planks laid across them, no railings or anything. That guy was as stubborn and bullheaded and they come. Went to his house one day and thought I found him dead in the kitchen since he was laying on the floor near the kitchen sink. Nope, had the trap torn apart on it removing a clog. Asked why he didn't just call me and got the lecture about being a plumber for 50+ years....

I cleaned the last of the snow off my truck, cleared the last snow from the driveway, then noticed one of my snow shovels was missing. I found it in my fathers hands, 89 years old and he said he could at least clean the front porch and stairs.

When I told him this was what they call heart attack snow because of the weight he said he already had one.

He is not a big guy but after serving in WWII and Korea he has my respect.

When he got done cleaning the stairs he went to visit an old person.
He's living, he's living his life. I might try to talk him out of driving if necessary. But I'd be proud of him.

He's living, he's living his life. I might try to talk him out of driving if necessary. But I'd be proud of him.

I can't talk him out of driving, he bought a brand new Subaru 2 years ago. He wanted to show it to my sister, his grandkids, and great grandkids so he said lets go to Vermont. I slept the first hour of the drive and jumped in the drivers seat when we stopped to walk the dog. We kept trading off the whole way there and back, but he wanted me to drive the dangerous sections where there were no guardrails.

My dad is 92. A WWII vet and was always the strongest toughest guy I knew. He could work from sun up to sundown and never slow down. He had a full time job until he was almost 80. He told me once he couldn't wait until he turned 72 so he could work as many hours as he wanted without it effecting his Social Security. Now he can barely walk and just sits in a chair all day. If he leaves the house he has to be in a wheelchair. It really breaks my heart to see this once strong and independent man so weak he can barely stand. Enjoy the strength and vitality your father has. The alternative is heart-wrenching.

My Grandpa was 102 when he passed.. I remember when I was a kid that I thought he was the strongest man alive. Even till the end he had that "old man strength" and never stopped for nothing.

I truly think that's why he lived as long as he did.

Old guys are great, one called my house at 6:45 yesterday morning when he tried to turn on his TV. :laughing: My father called him back but didn't get an answer, he gets the TV remote and the phone mixed up, I can picture him yelling hello into the remote.

Tell you what..The Old people we have left are really some kind of treasure!...When you find one that has some stories and memories and skills? You think about it...they went from the Stone Age into the Space Age in their lifetime! From hitching up the horses to go into town to getting on an airplane...

I remember I stumbled across the Foxfire book series when it came out back in the 70's...just gobbled up those interviews of the Old timers from Appalachia...As a young man not even shaving yet, they Gave me an appreciation and respect for Old People...

Me and the Wife spend 4 evenings out of the week up at the Old Folks home here..we take the dog along and just go hang out...Its a real blessing to us...

Let him stay young at heart dude! My dad served from '54 to '74. Read one of his letters to his mom when they were pulling off dead bodies after the Israeli's bombed the USS Liberty and LBJ left the sailors to die. Watched him wither away and die after getting prostate cancer at a young 75.:no:

Great thread!
This makes me wish I knew my grandparents.
Unfortunately three of them passed away before I was 10.:no:
My dad's mom made it to about 90, so I got to know her much better.

Back
Top Bottom