Smart Phone apps

shedigz

Elite Member
I am looking for some good apps for detecting. I am looking for one that may have maps or ways to do research to find new areas to hunt.

I'm not looking for any apps that catalog finds.

You could try maprika. I just started using it, works great for overlaying old maps over modern sattelite images

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I use the “onX Hunt” app pretty heavily in the field - their mobile phone app is originally intended for game hunters, but it’s perfect for getting property owner information on the fly. I can't count how many times I've used it to pull up owner info when I randomly pass a promising looking location while out driving. There’s a free trial, but then you need to pay an annual subscription ($30 for each state, I think). While the local county tax assessor or auditor’s web site is a primary source for owner info (and much more) for a particular property when I’m researching at home, I’ve found that most county auditor/tax assessor web pages aren't mobile phone or tablet friendly (at least here in NW Ohio) - so onX really shines for field use in comparison.

The app works wonderfully to find property owner names and addresses and the extent of property lines. Also, the app makes it a breeze to determine whether a site is public property or private, which may imply that permission isn’t even needed.

One technique I often use when I spot an interesting “door knock” house while out driving is to peek at the owner info on OnX Hunt and find out the owner’s name, then I have the advantage of using their name when knocking - “Hi, my name’s Ben. I’m a history lover who metal detects as a hobby...I was hoping to find Mr or Mrs Smith for permission to use a metal detector in the yard today...”

Another use for OnX is confirming the extent of a curb strip for those of us interested in hunting those without running afoul of ownership/permission/trespassing issues that have been so hotly debated in some other recent threads. Since OnX definitively outlines property lines, you can easily confirm whether a property stops at the sidewalk or runs all the way up to the curb line - yes, this varies from town to town, and sometimes even from neighborhood to neighborhood within the same town.

I was originally skeptical of paying for the OnX subscription - now I wouldn’t be without it!

I use the huntstand app to locate property lines and it shows the owners names as well. I think you only get a few free ones then you gotta buy the full version, but its great to at least see tax id maps.

Back
Top Bottom