• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Holy Hoosier Cellar Hole!! UPDATE-PERMISSION CONFIRMED!

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
We don't see these much around here. Dang thing was under my nose for 20 years. Talking to the property owner tomorrow for permission. I can guarantee no-one has been on it. ;)

Also a spring on the property and the creek runs down to an island with 2 swimming holes. Farther downstream there is a limestone dry-stack wall and another spring. Apparently there is another cellar on that property and I should be able to get permission for it also...

The bonus is this is right in the area of my family's homestead a mile or so away, which I'm working on permission to get on. Looking like a busy year!!

Attachments

• hodge hole NE.jpg
    hodge hole NE.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 432
  • chimney1.jpg
    chimney1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 385
  • hodge hole E.jpg
    hodge hole E.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 420
  • hodge SE.jpg
    hodge SE.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 393
  • hodge hole N.jpg
    hodge hole N.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 404
  • creek path.jpg
    creek path.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 402
  • spring1.jpg
    spring1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 387
  • spring2.jpg
    spring2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 378
  • spring4.jpg
    spring4.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 380
  • worn limestone2.jpg
    worn limestone2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 369
  • worn limestone.jpg
    worn limestone.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Great looking spot. Hope you can get it.

Thanks! I've known the family for about 25 years so at least it's an easy conversation. I'm about 98% on this one at this point. Little bowled race track down by the creek, probably put there in the 40s. Lots of arrowheads taken out of the creek over the years by different folks. This was all Miami land originally.

The "old house" that burnt down and was pushed over the gully probably dated early 1900-1910 I'm guessing. The hole is, as far as I can tell, one of the earliest in the area and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I find an old log structure site in the area, unless of course they put the limestone one on top of the same site, which sits right on top of a hill.

I know there is a bottle dump, only really messed around with by kids really. Probably not a privy at either site with the water so close by. Possible I guess though.

Get in there before the snakes come out. You may need to cut some of those saplings, or at least take a small coil. Looks like a lot of potential there!

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to see what you find in there! Hope you can hit it all before the poison ivy starts greening up

Yeah, the entire area is limestone centric, as a lot of the stone in the buildings in DC came out of the region. You can see they added stones on top of earlier ones at some point. The county is having its bicentennial this year too. There is still a massive mine a couple miles from this spot, and I'm pretty sure I spotted an area riding out on the ATV that was flat with young growth that could very well be a logging camp. The creek was too high to easily cross without getting soaked but will be easily accessible once summer hits.

Not worried about the snakes or Ivy, as we weren't even allowed near the house growing up and lived in the same woods basically. The saplings on the other hand, are going to be a pain in my ass for sure.

In like Flynn

Just got a call back from the property owner and I'm cleared to go on the property any time I want! :bouncy:

Soon as this rain is off for a while, I'll be reporting in the coinshooters and relic hunters section what we pull out. :aok:

Holy smoke Olds ! That place looks so pure . I can only imagine what could be waiting . Stop throwing your beer cans around.. you will end up digging them back up when we are old and forgot we went to that site already 😎
Dew

Holy smoke Olds ! That place looks so pure . I can only imagine what could be waiting . Stop throwing your beer cans around.. you will end up digging them back up when we are old and forgot we went to that site already 😎
Dew

If I had a pic of the gully behind where I was, there's a looot of trash, including a house from probably 1910 or so by a guess. I'll find out shortly. Up on the hill is different except for that one and just a few more cans around. You know how us humans tend to feel a certain reverence around places that you can "feel"? It's got all that back hair tingling feel and smell in the air brother...:yes:

Edit: That beer can didn't reside there any longer after I left. I was WAY too excited to even notice it when I walked up with my camera out. I'll be taking trash out of the place by the bag. Already have a box of contractor bags ready to rock!

Back
Top Bottom