Hard red dirt

chad27

Forum Supporter
I went out today to an old ball field. It hasnt been used in over 15yrs. Lots of good targets but the dirt is so hard couldnt dig. Any ideas tips etc.

Assuming you have a Lesche or Predator digging knife, and can't get through the soil, about all you can do is wait for a light rain before you search the field again.

Thinking that the ball field is still a highly visible area, you don't want to be seen digging away with a shovel. Patience is probably your best tool for now.

Get you a good quality flat screwdriver, stout enough that it won't bend, with a comfortable handle. Not one of those great big ones, but big enough to give you some digging surface. File or sand the tip a little sharper and smooth out any other edges.

A pick/rock hammer works.

A screw driver works if you know how.

I use my own design.

After surveying and digging up corners
anywhere and everywhere for over 30
years, I learned something.

I have detected and dug manholes
5' deep in the middle of hard compacted
road bed and through concrete and
asphalt surfaces.

This is what I designed.

It will not break and never needs sharpening,

2-5-6.jpg

But in the end,

it is the person that can or can not dig
in the hard stuff.

I learned by paying my dues,

I really like that tool Tabdog... you did a heck of a job on that one. Been checking yard sales for an old ratchet handle so I can make one...no luck yet... RickO

Go for it...you say it hasn't been used in 15 years. Do like our new member here from Russia....crack out the garden tiller and go to town!

I hunted an area like that last spring. Even my pick just bounced off. I ended up taking my shingling hatchet and chopping the outline of the hole and then pounding my 3-in-1 knife (Like the current Hori-Hori knife) into the cracks with the hatchet. I would have been afraid to try this with ANY other digger. Once I got through the top four or five inches, it wasn't as hard.

Back
Top Bottom