Cleaning Old Finds

Cindy60

Hi everybody: I am a newbie, have metal detected a few times, found a few coins, a silver ring, nothing worth writing home about, but now due to health reasons, am unable to partake in my favorite past time. I was on e-bay a few weeks back and did a search for metal detector finds. I won an auction from United Kingdom of a old brooch and a few other things, all uncleaned. Got my items and took my hand-held grinding tool (I know, probably not the best thing to do) to get all the grime off, and this is what I found. Any suggestions that it might be gold? It's beautiful and very heavy. All other items also had the same yellow color as the brooch. I'm at a lost on what kind of metal these items may be. Wouldn't it be nice if they were all gold, I can only hope.

Attachments

• Metal Detecting Find - Brooch.jpg
    Metal Detecting Find - Brooch.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Metal Detecting Find - Brooch - Cleaned Up.jpg
    Metal Detecting Find - Brooch - Cleaned Up.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 214
Thank You Gary

Thanks Gary for the links, I will definitely check them out, this is all a learning experience for me. Hope you have a GREAT weekend. Cindy:cool3:

Your image, at least on my computer, looks like silver. The stones look like quite old rough cut rubies. I'd have a jeweler check it out. That's an old piece. Might even be colonial. Where are you hunting, just a rough idea, state etc.

Hi:

Thanks for your info and thoughts. Due to health reasons I can't metal detect anymore, darn it, but I won these items on e-bay from the United Kingdom. I cleaned the brooch and the metal is yellow, the pictures don't show the justice of this brooch, quite beautiful once cleaned. I need to have it tested for gold, because to me it looks like gold, but of course I am no expect. Also I have a few other pieces from the same auction that I won, and they came out with the same yellow metal as well. It's been so much fun cleaning these items up. A piece of history from the United Kingdom. I appreciate you answering me back.

Back
Top Bottom