Pensacola, FL

afpilot64

Hello fellow diggers! I have been stationed at NAS Pensacola and I am dying to get into beach/water hunting. Having been a land lubber for so long, this will be a new and fun experience for me. Anyone in the area that wants to help out a fellow MD'er with pointers/tips or general discussion please feel free to drop me a message!

Hi AF,
I not in P'cola anymore but was born and raised there. Being in the Navy, I'm sure you've heard of the Blue Angle Naval Recreational Facility out off of Bronson Field Rd.? I grew up in the last house on the left heading into Bronson Field.

I'm new to this site and to the hobby, but have often thought about the possibilities there in my old home town. Not sure if you know it or not, but there was a big fight a while back between Pensacola and St Augustine as to which area could rightfully claim the title of the oldest town in America. Pensacola had a settlement long before St. Augustine, but it wasn't "permanent" so I guess that St Augustine won on a technicality.

You can imagine that there is tons of history there, so don't get so focused on the beaches that you forget about the old stuff. As a matter of fact, there on Bronson Field (I'm assuming that you've been there) you'll see tons of ancient Great Live Oaks, the Spanish planted them there to help in ship building. There used to be some huge sea plane ramps there on Perdido Bay, if you were on those ramps and looked to your left, you'll see some of the oaks, that area was used by the National Guard and the Boy Scouts forever as a campground, when I was a kid I found an old German Iron Cross in that area, not sure what the layout of the place is now a days but might be worth a check.

Next time your down at Seville Quarter, have a Hurricane for me.......

hi i just googled that spot,and the trees are still there .good story.terry in oz

I actually went there yesterday to check it out .. it is a Federal site with a sign that says "NO METAL DETECTORS". Enough said ...

Back
Top Bottom