Old park. Couple finds. Need fork help

Goat88

Elite Member
Out to an old, old park today digging everything deep. Got these two forks about half an hour apart in two separate areas. Each about 7 inches down. Too bad they are plated. Any fork experts out there that can give me a year or range. I could not find this specific design. Also got an old metal shotgun shell tube with headstamp. Its a Winchester No. 12? Hard to see the numbers. Age on that? Oh and got the quarter in the grass 1947 S. Thanks and hh.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 386
Does the headstamp have any other wording? Any pics? I just found a Winchester No. 12 Repeater which can be dated to 1896-1938.

Was there a hotel nearby ... say between the 30's and 60's? These are standard unmarked Oneida items used in upper end hotel kitchens and dining rooms. Most likely a 40's item, but you would have to check with Oneida. Looks like that place might be one to work over a few times!

Due to their condition I'd say they may not have been in the ground that long. Seems like all the vintage plated items I find in our soil is in poor shape due to corrosion of he base metal. Those look really clean. Of course that's an assumption based on my experience. The presence of the Washington indicates potential though.

Was there a hotel nearby ... say between the 30's and 60's? These are standard unmarked Oneida items used in upper end hotel kitchens and dining rooms. Most likely a 40's item, but you would have to check with Oneida. Looks like that place might be one to work over a few times!

There was a mansion here at this park in the 1800s. Then a girls school in the early 1900s. Where I found my only seated.

Due to their condition I'd say they may not have been in the ground that long. Seems like all the vintage plated items I find in our soil is in poor shape due to corrosion of he base metal. Those look really clean. Of course that's an assumption based on my experience. The presence of the Washington indicates potential though.

I thought that too when I pulled them out but reading on the net says hotel plate is a thicker plate due to the high usage it would see.

I thought that too when I pulled them out but reading on the net says hotel plate is a thicker plate due to the high usage it would see.

You learn something new everyday thanks for posting this ...makes sense why they still look silver. Congrats on a great haul as well!

Back
Top Bottom