Mystery Center Cap

jbkelly3

Elite Member
As we dig older locations the automotive finds from our past pop up .... and usually the first center cap found is the old Ford Model T. Check several of those off the list, and a very early DB marked Dodge Brothers. This time I dug a complete and nearly intact cover ... but cannot determine the maker ... any help here guys??

Attachments

• F center-cap.JPG
    F center-cap.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 259
Not a Ford, Freightliner, Franklin, Fiat, FAL. Eyes are about to cross on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did ........ and it is not a Ford. My father is a retired Ford guy with 36 years with them and his history manuals never show a red Ford or this type of F. Even the folks in ACCA (Antique Car Club of America) can't find a match so far.

I will tell you what I can do. I live near Detroit. I will take a picture to the Henry Ford museum and ask them. If they agree it is a Ford, even an aftermarket one then it is settled. If anybody should know it would be them.

I am NOT saying your father is wrong. However, these were way before his time.

Maybe you can send them a picture and ask them also?

Great idea .... and of course if they have info then I will be happy to have it.
My dad isn't just a old car hobby guy, he is a professional appraiser for some of the biggest specialty insurers out there. He has files and records that most of us wouldn't .... but no saying that he couldn't have missed one.

I will tell you what I can do. I live near Detroit. I will take a picture to the Henry Ford museum and ask them. If they agree it is a Ford, even an aftermarket one then it is settled. If anybody should know it would be them.

I am NOT saying your father is wrong. However, these were way before his time.

Maybe you can send them a picture and ask them also?

Turns out to be an aftermarket aluminum Model N, K or T cap. Pattern was only used from about 1906 to 1910. It is a version designed to be just enough different from the original that there would not be patent and trademark questions raised .... it didn't work. Not shown in Ford history (officially produced) because it was not authorized.

Turns out to be an aftermarket aluminum Model N, K or T cap. Pattern was only used from about 1906 to 1910. It is a version designed to be just enough different from the original that there would not be patent and trademark questions raised .... it didn't work. Not shown in Ford history (officially produced) because it was not authorized.

Thank you for the update. That is why the different F. Did you see the Fool or Bool hubcaps? Made for the same reason. So Ford wouldn't sue them.

Back
Top Bottom