trouble digging small holes

tommyb

I am an amateur metal detector and i have been having some troubles pinpointing. I am only sixteen and just received a detector for my birthday. I wanted to know if a little wizard 2 would help or not. I have a predator 1 (not exactly what i would call a good machine) and i have to dig huge holes to locate the object. Should i consider buying a different detector or should i find a way to pinpoint? Thanks

I am not familiar with the Predator 1, but I can not imagine it is any lower on the totem pole than my detector (Tracker IV). When I started I also had a heck of a time pinpointing and keeping my holes to a reasonable size. All I can say is practice! I am to the point now where you usually can't tell where I have pulled a target from the ground unless you are really looking for it. The more you practice, the easier it will be. Good tools also help when digging. You need something that will cut a smooth plug without chewing up the turf. And, you might want to look into a probe as well. I use a 6'' flat head screwdriver with a rounded down end. Usually I can hit my targets with that before I even start digging.

Again, practice, practice, practice!

Good luck!

I for one do not like digging. :mad: I prefer sand at tot lots and beaches - just scoop and sift. :D I have tried the digging and I know that it takes patience and practice - one of which I do not have! :yes:

Welcome to the forum Tom! :D

Z speaks the truth. The little wizard is for finding the object in the soil you have dug. Unless that object is within 1 inch or less of the surface of the soil, it won't see what your detector see's. So if the target is deeper than that, it won't help.

Don't be so quick to toss the detector!
When we all first started, we would dig holes that you could park a truck in. After some experiance the holes will get smaller and you will be pin pointing much better. Example: I watch my bud Bob swing a 15 inch hot-shot coil..... and pin point with it!
So Tom keep at it!

Jeff

Fill em holes!

FelixtheCat said:
... I prefer sand at tot lots and beaches ...

Felix has the right Idea! Find a Playground or soft dirt area to practice in. This way you will not wear yourself out learning your detector. You can get very accurate in motion pinpointing with the X'ing method. Hang in there, I pretty much destroyed my entire yard starting out. :lol:

Jack

Tommy, we ALL had the same problem as you when we started out. One thing you should have is a pinpointer. These can be expensive. $100 or more is a bit excessive for what you get in electronic components. The manufacturers know that we need them so they sock it to us. A quick way to find your object which has probably taken on the color of it's earthy surroundings is to quickly split the pile of dirt with your digger. Check each pile with the coil, and split it again once you have found the object, then maybe split that pile one more time. This will minimize the amount of dirt you have to look through.
If you have a pinpointer, and you are on a grassy area and you know the depth of your target, cut a slit about 4 to 5 inches long and 1 inch short of the depth, and rock the soil back and forth with the blade to make a 1 inch gap now stick the probe into the gap and move it back and forth along the 5 inch area. If the target dosnt respond, cut a slit across the first in an + fashion and do the same with the probe. Once you find your target sweep the coil over that spot and make a mental note of where it is situated within the coil. That may be at dead center the top, bottom, or to the sides. Coils can vary from one to the other. You are listening for the most defined tone in the all metal mode. Once the object is located, you may be able to extricate it with just your finger. If not, minimal digging should retrieve it. By cutting a slit in the turf instead of taking out a plug allows the grass to reknit itself faster. Most grasses are rhizomes with horizontal roots. Once you have your target, merely step the + back into place. No fuss, no muss, and no dead spot in the grass. Hope this helps, your into a great hobby. The less damage to the area your digging, the better for all of us........Gil

Hang in there dude! You've got a good detector there! This is not a black and white hobby... there's no magic wand out there, no matter how much it costs. It takes a skill. You've got to learn your machine.

Aside from digging easy areas like sand or mulch playgrounds, try taping some coins / junk under a big piece of cardboard. Learn the "sounds" and get the pinpoint down. "X" out those targets.

As far as a handheld pinpointer is concerned, I know "pros" who've never used them. On the other hand, I don't like hunting without one. I've heard the wizard is good, but I've used the Vibraprobe and thought it was pretty darn good...

i think we are all ametures we learn every time we try to find stuff, keep trying you will be surprised when you find something cool

First off you need to practice pinpointing,and secondly you need a pinpointer like i have called a Tinytec.Once you have located your target,you use the Tinytec to find the exact spot where the item is .Sometimes if the item is shallow you dont even need to dig a hole. If im not mistaken you can get one for about 69 dollars.I realize thats alot of money to someone your age,but its worth its weight in gold.I never detect without mine.often in a grassy area you can retreive your target in seconds. To find the tinytec company,do a picture search on the internet till you find their web site,Metal detecting stores will want more than the manufacturer does.A lot of times if a coin is laying on an angle it will actually be several inches away from where you think it is.by checking the surrounding area with the tinytec you can pinpoint where it actually lays.Allso if your in a park and get avery long signal,say several feet long it may be a buried power line and i would suggest moving to another area.Good luck and may all your finds be treasure.

Back
Top Bottom