Pinpointing with the XLT

Jason

Elite Member
I'm reading the manual that came with my new XLT. Trying to understand the pinpointing. Can someone explain it to me in real english? What's with the 2 bars at the bottom?

the bottom bar shows you the strongest or closest signal of your coil to the target ,the top bar shows you your current spot of the coil as you move it in pinpoint you try to get them to line up even to show your right over the target and the most accurate depth reading . try putting tone i.d. and v.c.o. on these will help

Good splainin del and would just like to add that VCO is good for helping the coil center over a target but NON VCO will help sizing the target and perhaps may want to try both methods and personally found the dual bars to be the most accurate determination of depth and center. Just my thoughts. Good Luck . HH Bill

Can't add anything to that. Very well explained. I used to use the pinpoint bars all the time till I started using VCO. Now I really don't have to even look at the display anymore. :shock:

Jason,

It was hard to understand at first for me. I put a coin on top of the ground in plain site and pinpointed until I figured it out. Even more accurate is listening to the pitch of the tone with V.C.O. turned on. I do better with ratchet pinpointing turned off. Play with it. I am speaking from a new users point of view as I have a whopping 2 weeks of experience on the DFX.

Jack

Good advice, thanks everyone. Now, can you tell me what VCO is? I could tell that when pulling the trigger, the tone would get louder when I was over the target. From experience with my past machines, I am getting better at comparing the VDI with the depth, and tone while pinpointing in determining if it's trash or not. Some times I can tell right away that no matter what the display says, its a smashed soda can.

Jason,

VCO is ?Voltage Controlled Oscillator? and it works as you described. Don?t push your D.C. Sensitivity to high with VCO on.

I turn RATCHET PINPOINTING ?OFF? when using VCO and if you really want to live on the edge turn MIXED MODE ?ON?. This will allow the user to hear all targets. The AC (discriminate) channel will have a high tone while the DC (all metal) channel will have a low tone. Now try the above with TONE ID ?ON? for a trip on the wild side.

Good Luck,
Steve Houston

Jason,

Perhaps you have discovered this already. After you discover a target identified as a dime or a quarter and in the pinpointing process you get a continuous tone for several inches travel of your coil in either direction, with very little change in depth to target, then chances are you have a soda can, large plumbing fitting, or other large hunk of likely trash.

You'll also get the mysterious quarters or dimes that are at 0" deep but never show up after digging 4" down. That is also usually a can at 6" down or deeper.

Back
Top Bottom