I decided to leave my metal detecting club

Dark Chameleon

Elite Member
I don't know if others have found this to be why they didn't join clubs or decided afterwards to leave them but I was reminded of the yearly dues and so asked about mine and was told that i joined in april last year and so i have to pay another years membership come January.

I didn't like that, if you pay for 12 months you should get 12 months and this wasn't specified when i joined, but was told in an email that people could have joined in September and still owe a new years dues in January, i really didn't like that one.

This wasn't the only reason i have left it but a few other reasons that others might have spotted themselves when they have joined clubs.

1) People join the club and their dues are used after paying for the location mostly on buying silver for prizes for the finds of the month, this sounds ok, but the same people win every month, the new members don't stand a chance of winning while they are learning their machines, it almost makes it pointless bringing in your stuff for the first two years, you are not going to beat some 1908 half dollars, George the thirds, gold rings, etc, unless you have beginners luck you will be lucky to take a dime over the course of your first year or two.

2) The existing members seem to form clicks and they are almost impregnable, the monthly meetings seem to be their only chances to meet each other, great for them but they should goto a café as a click and meet, this is supposed to be a club, what is there for new members, they have to almost interrupt to get a question in, feel like their finds don't matter, rarely actually get help, tips etc.

3) Some members have suggested and i'd have to agree that some of the finds are too clean, seem to be something bought and not found, i have yet to find a 100 year plus copper or brass item come out of the ground without looking like a rusty coin or pitted to heck item but some 'finds' are gleaming.

4) The meetings seem to be like an AGM talking about the money in the fund, the library, the need for people to talk about stuff, it doesn't promote the normally solo sociable to go to.

5) The members seem to be killing time to get the raffles going when they are newer because they stand so little chance of winning in the finds category, they get no assistance in catagorising their finds for the points but when your competing with people who get 130 points a year plus on their finds you may as well not bother.

6) I was a member for 6 months before they even printed out my name on my name badge..it was hand written for 6 months...like i wasn't even a member for all that time, new members seem to be treated by other members as second class members, either left talking to each other or not talking to anyone, the social side is almost nil for new members, making it their job to mingle and not existing members to make them feel welcome

I didn't see any change in these areas coming at a recent meeting talking about changes, it would still have been the same finds winners this year as last, the same clicks running and not willing to put the effort in to meet new members.

After hearing the deal about last years group hunt and the people upset by it and the same thing, a half dozen people taking what seemed like everyone else's entrance fees with large coils, extra knowledge etc, it seemed pointless to spend over $100 to watch others take it away.

I was hoping a club would be a group of people who love a hobby like detecting and want to share their tips, a willingness to set up group hunts in public places, have a chance for new people to do something else then watch others win the finds and take silver after silver after silver while it seems that the newer ones are just there to feed the Ponzi scheme that is the club where experience wins every time.

This club either always was or has become a professional 3 years and upwards group of people who seem to tolerate newcomers more then want to pass on their passion for hunting and welcoming the next generation of hunters.

That's my rant and one reason ill be looking at other clubs and hopefully find them where they are more open to new members and not just needing more money to then give away to the most experienced hunters month after month after month

I agree with all of that and have one thing to say you...

We'll be your MD club (these forums) and its free to be in our club!

That is one reason im still here, this place offers much more then my club does, its open to new members, offers tips galore, we can buy silver and finds from people and sell our own, we will set up group hunts and do not get all 'i know best' arrogance of long termers, theres people in here who joins in 2010 or 2013 and they don't treat anyone new like they should deserve to be here and not just give their membership, shut up and listen to others who say little other then how they were so good that they found this and that.

I joined a club to learn, to enjoy and to join in things...none of them were on offer, nothing aimed at new members..i learned more from a detecting show then i did from a club i had to pay $40 a year to go to and drive 1 1/2 hours to get there and back..i have better things for my Friday night then that

I have absolutely zero interest in joining a club. Looking for something that was just purposely burried that day does not appeal to me at all.

I don't mind loaded hunts but give the newbies a chance..there are people with competition detectors set up, collecting baskets and quick grab scoops...what hope do the new ones have against that?

A club will only last if it treats its newest members as members and not the next money to their Ponzi scheme of feeding the most experienced silver collections.

Have a dual category for new members or under 5 years experience...give them some hope, not just charging them to look at others finds and watch silver go to other people again and again...its more just the stick and no carrot

I agree with all of that and have one thing to say you...

We'll be your MD club (these forums) and its free to be in our club!

agreed...i haven't even considered joining a club,i like to go out and detect nd enjoy the finds...group hunt shmoop hunt...digging planted finds would never interest me,i like the group hunts we get going here..a few guys going to a new spot and everyone encouraging each other ...on here we can share our finds get advice,i feel that there's a great feeling of comradery here...

this is my club!!!

I *LOVE* this forum!! Friendly sure describes it to a *T*!

Heck when I joined, a month ago, I didn't even HAVE a detector! But NOBODY made me feel unwelcome! I now have a BH Tracker IV and it's an entry level machine, but nobody looks down on me.

This is my "go to" board now and my first stop when I sign onto the "Internets" and I LOVE it here. Everyone here is friendly, helpful and welcoming! When newbies show their simple little finds, a coin here, a toy car there, they are met with "Great find! Hang in there, you'll be finding silver before you know it!" and encouragement! NO-ONE disses others digs! Posts from discouraged or depressed people are answered with encouragement, advice and upbeat friendliness.

This board ROCKS and I'm *not* leavin'! Better than ANY club in my book!

SageGrouse

Reading this kinda made up my mind, I was searching everywhere for a local club as I thought I would learn and meet a few people. First off I didnt find many clubs near me anyway,but I was under the impression the club searched for places to search and maybe get permission from a few residential homes in the area and have a club hunt,But it looks like thats not the case. It looks like a club is nothing more that a meeting place,share stories maybe go over some laws and a door prize raffle or something every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with that but I can see how the clicks can be formed and unless your some seasoned detector veteran with plenty of experience,finds and stories you would be ignored as a newb just showing up. Now that is not a fact and only my assumption, and im sure it differs from club to club but if that is all a club has to offer,I'll pass.
As others have said,this place is more of a club,where you can post pics,stories ask question,Even Live Chat "Which I see very little people take advantage of :( " You can even buy some good gear cheap here! Love the site and glad to be a part of it!

Clubs are good for some people and not trying to knock them,but after reading all this I have lost interest in finding a club,I rather find a few local hunting buddies and call it a day.

I don't know if others have found this to be why they didn't join clubs or decided afterwards to leave them but I was reminded of the yearly dues and so asked about mine and was told that i joined in april last year and so i have to pay another years membership come January.

I didn't like that, if you pay for 12 months you should get 12 months and this wasn't specified when i joined, but was told in an email that people could have joined in September and still owe a new years dues in January, i really didn't like that one.

This wasn't the only reason i have left it but a few other reasons that others might have spotted themselves when they have joined clubs.

1) People join the club and their dues are used after paying for the location mostly on buying silver for prizes for the finds of the month, this sounds ok, but the same people win every month, the new members don't stand a chance of winning while they are learning their machines, it almost makes it pointless bringing in your stuff for the first two years, you are not going to beat some 1908 half dollars, George the thirds, gold rings, etc, unless you have beginners luck you will be lucky to take a dime over the course of your first year or two.

2) The existing members seem to form clicks and they are almost impregnable, the monthly meetings seem to be their only chances to meet each other, great for them but they should goto a café as a click and meet, this is supposed to be a club, what is there for new members, they have to almost interrupt to get a question in, feel like their finds don't matter, rarely actually get help, tips etc.

3) Some members have suggested and i'd have to agree that some of the finds are too clean, seem to be something bought and not found, i have yet to find a 100 year plus copper or brass item come out of the ground without looking like a rusty coin or pitted to heck item but some 'finds' are gleaming.

4) The meetings seem to be like an AGM talking about the money in the fund, the library, the need for people to talk about stuff, it doesn't promote the normally solo sociable to go to.

5) The members seem to be killing time to get the raffles going when they are newer because they stand so little chance of winning in the finds category, they get no assistance in catagorising their finds for the points but when your competing with people who get 130 points a year plus on their finds you may as well not bother.

6) I was a member for 6 months before they even printed out my name on my name badge..it was hand written for 6 months...like i wasn't even a member for all that time, new members seem to be treated by other members as second class members, either left talking to each other or not talking to anyone, the social side is almost nil for new members, making it their job to mingle and not existing members to make them feel welcome

I didn't see any change in these areas coming at a recent meeting talking about changes, it would still have been the same finds winners this year as last, the same clicks running and not willing to put the effort in to meet new members.

After hearing the deal about last years group hunt and the people upset by it and the same thing, a half dozen people taking what seemed like everyone else's entrance fees with large coils, extra knowledge etc, it seemed pointless to spend over $100 to watch others take it away.

I was hoping a club would be a group of people who love a hobby like detecting and want to share their tips, a willingness to set up group hunts in public places, have a chance for new people to do something else then watch others win the finds and take silver after silver after silver while it seems that the newer ones are just there to feed the Ponzi scheme that is the club where experience wins every time.

This club either always was or has become a professional 3 years and upwards group of people who seem to tolerate newcomers more then want to pass on their passion for hunting and welcoming the next generation of hunters.

That's my rant and one reason ill be looking at other clubs and hopefully find them where they are more open to new members and not just needing more money to then give away to the most experienced hunters month after month after month

Hey , lets look into it and see what we can come up with. Im game if u are....sean

"Small is Beautiful!"

I think it's good to have a detecting buddy, but as far as joining a club that sounds like my worst nightmare! Clubs are fine for beginners and those who want someone else to find the land that they haven't got the work ethic or desire to find for themselves. I'm not into rules apart from those I prefer to set myself! How many farmers and land owners want dozens of people invading their space, unless of course they're being paid? The group I formed in 1991 has the grandiose title of "Shropshire Antiquities Group". It has never had more than four members and only two are allowed at any one time on any specific farm! By being small you are able to develop a good relationship with the land owners. I of course abide by the Countryside Code. You only need one ignorant member of a club to spoil things and result in the loss of permission. I am happy to associate with others detectorists and to discuss finds but this only happens at exhibitions.:mder::mder::mder::mder::sissyfight: and of course the forum!

Last edited:
I agree with you on most of your assessment and experienced the same thing when I first got into this hobby and joined a fairly large club. I quit going after 4 meetings for those same reasons and started my own informal club. At first is was just 5 of us, it's more of a meetup group. Members have come and gone but we're usually between 6 and 10 members. We BS about anything metal detecting, tried having a couple club hunts, we need more participation in arranging those, did testing in my test garden, and show and tell type of discussions about equipment. No officers, no dues, we meet in my basement, about as simple as it can be. I provide drinks and snacks and recently had a raffle to introduce some capital for the club. Sometimes a couple members will donate towards refreshments but I don't mind as it's just like a night out in my book. I've had members lend me equipment to try so I have an idea about it before purchasing, and I've learned quite a bit from their knowledge pool. If anything, I wish that more members would come up with ideas for the club as it is the "members club". These forums are great, no questions about it, but I like the getting together with people of the same interest in real life. Maybe you should see if you can start your own little group.

Concerning #6...................Badges..................We don,t need no stinking badges........................

Yep, Same goes for me. Several clubs never even responded to my email inquiry. ( They at least could have said no thanks!) The clicks always seem to form around the charter members and those with the most expensive equipment. The officers only will give you the time of day when funding is low or dues are due.
No sir, I'll hunt with a buddy and know that what I find is real and not planted.

Yep, Same goes for me. Several clubs never even responded to my email inquiry. ( They at least could have said no thanks!) The clicks always seem to form around the charter members and those with the most expensive equipment. The officers only will give you the time of day when funding is low or dues are due.
No sir, I'll hunt with a buddy and know that what I find is real and not planted.

Hey , lets look into it and see what we can come up with. Im game if u are....sean

Right now im done with clubs for the next few months...maybe will look into silver city or something during the season but thankfully this place gives good club...:laughing:

It will be nice if we can get online group for Massachusetts or travelable and do some nice group local hunts, I was part of a click back in the 80's and 90's with the computer geeks and I saw me becoming like them so gave up computers altogether..i don't want that same thing again.

I certainly don't feel right if someone has to pay a years dues in September to be told in December your dues as needed again for January..that just felt like robbery for the new members..the lack of mixing also had me seeing new members come once and not come back or guests never become members, even when they won silver in the raffles...that was terrible..it marks the beginning of the end for clubs that don't actively encourage new members or motivate the older members to adopt them almost..give them what they joined for...stuff for newbies, tips, help with technique, spots, etc.

We treat that as just normal here but in a club its almost like massaging the egos of the most experienced at the expense of the newbies, its a shame it took me 8 months to find this out.

I didn't begrudge the costs if theyd given then pro rata for 12 months, im hardly scrapping for money, it was just no effort for new members, they get a round of applause when the become a member and the board asks people to welcome them and that's it..sink or swim time

Concerning #6...................Badges..................We don,t need no stinking badges........................

It just felt like a lack of caring...6 months to get a hand written badge printed out...damn I can do that at home in one night, heck 20 minutes to design and print it out...6 months is just a total lack of caring, lack of effort, lack of respect for new members.

It was just one of several reasons I left and this is from a new member, older members wont even think theres anything wrong with the club..but they are the ones benefitting the most from the clubs..the new members are just the chaif in the eyes of the older members...if your not willing to mix then don't bother trying to get new members in..make it a private club for experienced members only..let them pay for their own silver to hand to themselves

That sound like just about every club, never been part of a detecting club, I've ever been a part of. The problem with most clubs is they have poor management. It is truely an art to running a successful organization.

Clubs and Money

If Money is involved in Anything...There Will be Corruption...
I wanted to form a club for a while, but any club I have ever belonged to (Lions, Moose, Treasure) have all had their infighting and cliches...If dues were involved, or money was passed around (raffles, etc.), it just made matters worse...Then it became a who won the most, and the point of the club had been forgotten.
You are better off with a group of close friends, than in a club.

HH,

Back
Top Bottom