Some Good Info

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I found this on another site and thought that it is very good information so I thought I would pass it on.
Here are some general rules of thumb for the sounds your detector makes in discriminate and all-metal (VCO pinpointing mode.

1. When you get a loud signal in discriminate mode and the pinpoint signal is loud--?
It is usually a large target near the surface.

2. If you get a loud signal in discriminate mode and a much weaker signal when pinpointing--?
It is usually a large target deeper.

3. If you get a good signal in discriminate mode and an extremely weak signal when pinpointing --?
It is usually a tiny target or a very deep coin size target.
Also some hot rocks and coal burnt items mimic this same sound (a little practice in this area helps).

4. If you get a good signal in discriminate mode and a clear pinpoint signal (average sound)--?
Then dig. This is usually a coin size item at average depth.
This is what many of us train their ears to.

5. If you get a weak signal in discriminate mode and also a weak pinpoint--?
This is the "cream of the crop signal" for deep target hunters.
Unfortunately some small shallow objects also mimic this sound.
Take out 3" to 4" of dirt and if the signal is still weak it is probably a deep target.
Pay close attention to those soft signals (also called "whispers" by many).

6. One way signals--these sound good on the first sweep in discriminate mode (in one direction but not in the other --backsweep, etc.).--?
When pinpointing you may get an extremely loud pinpoint and write it off as trash--DON'T!---Many times it is a good target next to a piece of trash.
Dig out the trash and look for the good target.
Experiment with some of these targets to see how your detector reacts.

7. Semi broken signals-- On the first sweep in discriminate mode you get a signal that tries to punch through the discrimination setting (usually a half to 3/4 signal).--?
This occurs in places of EXTREME trash. Swinging the coil at different angles and sweep speeds can help isolate the signal and gives you a better idea whether to dig or not.
In these cases pinpoint doesn't give you much information because of the multiple targets in the ground (trash around the good target).
Beginners have a tough time with these signals and the only real way to learn them is to PRACTICE with your detector.This is where a veteran with an inexpensive detector can clean up vs. a rookie with a new high dollar detector.

You have to learn your detector's language to get the best out of it so give it time!

SkiWhiz said:
Rudy said:
Did you by chance find those at the White's forum on Treasurenet in the Tips & Techniques board? :roll:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php
Nope, I found them on the Tesoro site.
http://www.tesoro.com/ubbthreads/sh...r=47333&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
As I said I found them on another forum and I take no credit for it, just wanted to pass it along, thought it might help out some new folks and refresh us not so new. Steve.

Please don't misunderstand, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just curious since the internet age moves information around in incredible ways. :yes: I most recently posted them in the White's forum, last summer. The post in the Tesoro site is almost identical word for word, except it dropped the reference I had made to White's detectors and to the person that, as far as I know, was the first to formulate them. Monte, a master detectorist who lives in Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom