Air testing BH can you fool others ?

ded

Wait, before you pounce on the air testing or the BH you have to understand I'm bored its 15 here and I am stuck in.
I only have one detector BH SSII, and I have found quite a lot of items the first few times out so it works. I also have a basement with no metal in the concrete floor, I presume they were too cheap to put it in but it is very nice for the MD.

So the question is I can fool my target ID pretty easy by placing a rusted nail two inches from a copper penny passing at about 6 inches over it, the odd thing is without the penny there I had the nail disc or notched out and I get nothing add the penny and I get an Iron signal (which is disc out) will this happen with other more expensive detectors also, or is it the limitations of the BH?

Does it make sense then, that if I have notched/disc ferrous items but still get an Iron signal I should probably dig? (my yard seems to have a lot of old square nails that the BH likes to find deeep without the ferrous notched) My air testing seems to say dig these signals when ferrous is notched.

I had the idea of filling a 5 gallon bucket with dirt and burying different targets for testing.

I did the 5 gallon bucket thing with sand. It was a learning experience!

If the signal is repeatable in all directions then dig it, rusted iron will fool nearly all detectors(especially with a good target nearby). The SSII is a good machine, you will like its performance. I have the Landstar and I have tossed nails on the ground along with coins and it blends the 2 readings together, a dime will read pulltab range and nickles read repeatable iron. I dig every repeatable target. unrepeatable targets usually turn out to be rusted iron. If you secure the coil cable to the shaft so it does not wiggle, you can crank the sensitivity all the way (at least in Florida sand). The autonotch setting makes it a real coin finder in trashy areas, although you will miss some medium sized gold jewelry. Good luck and happy hunting.

thanks Tabdigger, what seemed puzzling was the iron signal when I it should have been blocked, but as you say (and the directions) if its repeatable, even an Iron when blocked I should dig it. Thanks for the tip on the wire, I have not had enough time to notice that kind of thing yet. Do you tape it or maybe wire tie with those mini ones ?

I have found something else maybe you could use, my SSII came with a nice plastic bolt to hold the coil on but the nut has what looks like an aluminum nut in bedded in it, it bothered me to have this just over the coil and it certainly registered when I waved over or under the coil so I made one out of plastic. Its hard to measure but I think I might have gained 1/4 " or so depth air testing or maybe just wishful thinking.

I had originally taped it...but after 12 years, the cable is so stiff it doesn't wiggle anymore. I never noticed the metal in the nut...although I did remove the metal screw that holds the tube to the plastic coil bracket and taped it... it didn't seem to effect the depth. If in the future you decide to upgrade...make sure you test the one you want...I have found that most machines don't work as well. It would have been nicer if BH would have made them more rugged and impressive looking...but then again, mine is 12 years old and still works fine.

Back
Top Bottom