Colorado & Frustrated!

dirty cricket

Hi All...I'm a new member to the forum and the hobby! I absolutely love it so far, but my biggest frustration is how hard it is to find places to detect in the Denver area. I'm new here, so i really don't know much about the state and its laws...and the only thing i find consistently online is to stay away from NF's.

Can someone tell me (i don't mind a good drive at all, and have a capable 4x4) are there counties, cities, BLM areas or anywhere that allows us to do our thing around here? I tested it out in Denver, and the cop almost took away my detector until he saw a pouch full of trash and my genuine surprise to not being allowed. Lesson learned

Here in WA state, the parks for the most part are ok to detect. They are fairly young and I have a goal to find silver, which is a bad combination.

So I've taken to door knocking on private property and asking to detect their yards.

That might be a solution for you.

Hi All...I'm a new member to the forum and the hobby! I absolutely love it so far, but my biggest frustration is how hard it is to find places to detect in the Denver area. I'm new here, so i really don't know much about the state and its laws...and the only thing i find consistently online is to stay away from NF's.

Can someone tell me (i don't mind a good drive at all, and have a capable 4x4) are there counties, cities, BLM areas or anywhere that allows us to do our thing around here? I tested it out in Denver, and the cop almost took away my detector until he saw a pouch full of trash and my genuine surprise to not being allowed. Lesson learned

You know there's a club in Denver, right ? Join and you'll see those folks are having no troubles finding public land to md on.

As for NF's (national forest land), why do you think you can't md there ? NFS does not have a prohibition (in fact, it has an express allowance !). Barring, of course, that you're not snooping around obvious historic sensitive landmarks. Perhaps you're confusing NPS (national park service), which, yes, is supposedly a no-no.

BLM also has an express allowance. But like NFS will be conditioned on ARPA (so just be looking for coins newer than 50 or 100 yrs :roll:). In my nearly 40 yrs. of this, I have YET to ever have a ranger or archie armed with a pocket calculator to rush up and do the math on the ages of coins I've found :roll: So *obviously* the qualification of ARPA, in each of those express allowances, is to not be tromping on obvious historic landmarks. Just don't crash an archie convention wearing neon yellow, waltzing over their beach blankets.

And btw, I see you use the phrase you you want places that "allow".... Don't think that you need express allowances . On the contrary, if there's no express prohibition (a rule that said "no md'ing"), then presto, it's not dis-allowed.

Hey Dirty! Welcome! I wouldnt suspect you would have any problems in Denver? I mean, c'mon! Nobody out there is gonna harsh YOUR buzz right?:laughing:

Just start hunting any old likely looking park...Do Not take any kind of digging tool other than a little 6" innocent screwdriver for starters...kick around in some playgrounds (totlots)...go really early in the Morning and especially on Sunday am to the sportsfields at schoolyards...just snipe for shallow clad for a while with that screwdriver...Avoid all people if you can...Not good in the middle of the day etc...GL and HH!
Mud

Lots of people have fun with the notion that nothing is illegal, unless you get caught... I'm in this for fun and relaxation, not the thrills and adrenalin rush. If you know you are legal, and it's allowed in a place you want to hunt, you don't jump every time you see movement, you aren't on edge, going of your clever 'stories'. You get to focus on the tones, and enjoy the hobby, when its convenient for you, not in the middle of the night, or early morning hours, when you'd prefer sleeping. I'm just not that pushy about trying to squeeze my hobbies and interests into every where I go.

You don't really care what I think about asking permission right? And you couldn't care less about sneeking around in the middle of the night or if I'm pushy right? :no:

I'm in CO and I was on BLM with my metal detector just a couple of days ago. Do it all the time but then again, I'm not bashful about enjoying a legal hobby in the daylight hours on BLM or FS managed Federal Property.

MDing on FS and BLM is legal and you don't need their permission. To ask is to invite trouble. If you see a sign that says NO Metal Detecting on BLM or FS...you might want to ask WHY NOT? There are areas that are designated as historical. So if a sign says NO MDing ... just go elsewhere.

Read ARPA and be familiar with the federal law. And never MD in a NATIONAL PARK ... permission or not. No one can authorize you to violate a law. Best they can say is they won't cite you, but their best NPS buddy may come along and take your MD.

Can't speak to Denver ... that's where liberals that want to tell me my rights congregate so I avoid it.:lol:

All just my experienced opinion.

.... unless you get caught... ...

The inherent problem with this statement, is that the word "caught" implies that you were doing something wrong or illegal. If this premise is true (that your actions were wrong and illegal), then yes: everything else you are saying logically follows.

But since when is this a "given" ? If the places he was detecting did not have an express prohibition or law against it, then there's nothing to get "CAUGHT" for .... in the first place. :roll:

There comes a point in this hobby where you have to realize that you are in an odd-ball hobby, that draws curious lookie-lous. And has admitted connotations. So not every last person on earth will "roll out the red carpets" for you. You can ALWAYS find someone who thinks it bothers earthworms, or says that it emits signals that hurt their dog's ears, or that (gasp) you might find an old coin. But the mere fact of a griper does not mean "hence you are breaking a law". Just avoid such kill-joys.

Check out one of those clubs man, they do organized hunts in some cool spots and sound like some nice folks! Jeff Loubert (spelling?) is president of one of those clubs i believe, he is also on american diggers relic roundup podcast...

In the words of our resident fence jumper it's only illegal if you get caught:lol:

Same answer as post #10. What you are saying only assumes one's premise.

I think the assumption here for some md'rs, is that "if anyone earth can 'be offended' or 'not like it', or 'morph something they believe disallows it', then: Presto: it's illegal. As if it's our duty to dispel every last notion, and please every last person on earth. Why is that ?

Example: If someone flips you off in traffic because they don't like your lane change: Do you cease driving from then-on-out? Until that person gives you their princely blessing "allowing" you to drive ? :?:

Same answer as post #10. What you are saying only assumes one's premise.

I think the assumption here for some md'rs, is that "if anyone earth can 'be offended' or 'not like it', or 'morph something they believe disallows it', then: Presto: it's illegal. As if it's our duty to dispel every last notion, and please every last person on earth. Why is that ?

Example: If someone flips you off in traffic because they don't like your lane change: Do you cease driving from then-on-out? Until that person gives you their princely blessing "allowing" you to drive ? :?:

If if was a 5th we'd all be drunk! :lol:

Illegal means you can be penalized. Not allowed, means you simply get booted, failure to comply takes into a more of a legal issue. Just think it's better to know for sure what you are dealing with, before the signs go up, laws written, to make it all crystal clear for those too stubborn to be part of society.

Sort of a silly example. Same logic... You get told "NO!" once, do just stop asking, stop hunting altogether? Or do you ask else where, find other places to hunt?

Why does it have to be clearly defined in the law books, written on signs, directly mentioning "Metal Detectors", before it's not allowed? There are already plenty of laws on the books, than can be applied to our hobby, for most public places. It really comes down to whether or not the person in authority chooses to use them. Only real way to know, is to ask. If it's legal where you hunt, it's allowed, what's it really matter what some onlookers might think or say? Everyone is entitle to an opinion, has the right to express it. I'm just glad I live on the east coast, and should have to worry about the plague reaching over here for a while.

Location, location, location.

Laws vary from state to state but National Parks and historical areas are off limits everywhere it seems. There is so many places to go you could never hunt them all in a lifetime. Thats why I don't mind sharing. Here is something I copied a long time ago. Best Metal Detecting Sites
- Old School Yards
- City / Town Parks
- Circus / Fair Sites
- Old Churches
- Old Homestead Sites
- Swimming Holes and Areas
- Picnic Groves
- Athletic Fields
- Scout Camps
- Rodeo Arenas
- Campgrounds
- Ghost Towns
- Beaches
- Taverns
- Roadside Rest Stops
- Sidewalk Grassy Strips
- Amusement Parks
- Rural Mailboxes
- Reunion Areas
- Revival sites
- Winter Sledding Areas
- Lookout / Overlook Sites
- Church Supper Groves
- Fishing Spots
- Fishing Camps
- Hotel & Beach Resorts
- Old Barns and Outbuildings
- Band Shells
- Racetracks
- Rural Boundary Walls
- Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
- Under Seaside Boardwalks
- Flea Market Areas
- Ski Slopes
- Drive Ins
- Canal Paths
- Vacant Lots
- Motels
- College / University Campuses
- Farmers Market Areas
- Town Squares
- Urban Yards and Backyards
- Disaster Sites
- Areas Around Skating Ponds
- Hunting Lodges and Camps
- Mining Camps
- Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
- Hiking Trails
- Waterfalls
- Rural Dance Sites
- Lover's Lane Areas
- Old Gas Stations and General Stores
- Fence Posts
- Chicken Houses
- Bridges and Walkways
- Flower Beds
- Playgrounds
- Old Garbage Dumps
- Clothes Line Areas
- Military Camp Sites
- Wells and Outhouses
- Abandoned Houses and Structures
- Old Hiking & Cross Country Trails
- Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
- Old Stone Quarries
- Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
- Junctions of Abandoned Roads
Abandoned Areas
This is the short list.

Smile when you ask permission and take the no's with yes's.

.... Just think it's better to know for sure what you are dealing with, before the signs go up, laws written, to make it all crystal clear....

Sure. And one sure-fire way to get "signs to go up" and "laws to make it crystal clear": Is to go into deskbound bureaucrat's asking "can I detect?". Thus only making this a "pressing issue" that they need to make an arbitrary "no" to. Or worse yet, to make it an official law to address this "pressing question". This has actually happened before, where persons show up grovelling at city halls. Then guess what appears on the next city council agenda as a proposed rule ??

So it's not those that "just go" that cause laws, it can also be "those that grovel" (as if their activity is evil and dangerous and needs a princely blessing) that cause the laws that you fear.

.... Why does it have to be clearly defined in the law books, written on signs, directly mentioning "Metal Detectors", before it's not allowed? ....

Apply this question to flying frisbees or skipping stones on the pond. Do we assume "it's not allowed" (afterall, you might poke someone's eye out), till seeing a sign to the contrary (eg.: "frisbee flying allowed here"). Or till someone at a desk blesses you with "yes you may fly a frisbee". Why do we put detecting in an evil class all by itself ? I happen to think detecting is harmless, healthful, nutritious, educational, etc.... And people come up all the time asking "what's the best thing you've ever found" and "where can I get one of those?", etc....

Your starting premise Harvey, seems to be that detecting is inherently evil, till given a princely blessing to the contrary by some desk-bound bureaucrat. Who, quite frankly, probably never would have ever given the matter a moment's thought before you came in.

.... Only real way to know, is to ask....

Sure. And then welcome to the "no one cared till you asked" psychology to be invoked.

You can "know" by simply looking up laws/rules for yourself. If it doesn't say "no detecting" (and isn't an obvious historic sensitive monument), then presto: It's not prohibited.

Why does it have to be clearly defined in the law books, written on signs, directly mentioning "Metal Detectors", before it's not allowed?

Because if it's not "clearly defined in the law books, written on signs, or directly mentioning "Metal Detectors..." then it's legal and allowed. Life must really be a struggle for some. :yes:

Because if it's not "clearly defined in the law books, written on signs, or directly mentioning "Metal Detectors..." then it's legal and allowed. Life must really be a struggle for some. :yes:

^^ This. You are a breath of fresh air M-digger :)

Back
Top Bottom