inland detector vs beach detector

exodus125

im wondering, I know theres certain detectors that work better in the surf than others. Would a detector that works good in the surf work as well as a detector that works good over land where there is no water?

The reason I ask is I would primarily use it over land, but would like to use it in the surf as well, but if a good near water detector will not work good over regular land, I would hesitate to get it then.

Good luck. I know there are probably models you can use but people use separate detectors for a reason. Waterproof detectors are usually heavier to help keep them under the water. Many of the models for salt water are pulse induction which have no discrimination and will drive you crazy on land where it it harder to dig. You probably want something like a White's Beachhunter, Minelab Excaliber, or the Fisher CZ-21 which use tone ID. There might be others, I'm not a water hunter here in the midwest. If you buy new, plan on spending close to a grand or more fore a nice unit.

thanks for the info, so I was right in assuming land detectors dont make good water detectors, and vise versa.

There are several land units that work well in salt water. Any of the multifrequency detectors should do fine. The problem with using a land detector in water is if you get the control box wet you may ruin them. A good friend of mine was detecting on the dry sand at the beach and set his detector down to find a target. You know how every once in a while one wave will come in further on the beach than most. Well that wave came in and washed over his XLT and turned it to an $800 door stop.:lol:

If your question is about the water then You pretty much need a water detector. If you are talking about hunting wet sand then that is a different story. As already stated a multi frequency detector is a good choice. These same detectors work well on high mineral ground also.

i can help

So i just recently was going threw the same struggle. what to get that would be duel purpose for land and water. I found out that you deffinetly dont want a PI unit. Any of the others, which are LVP or something like that are what land units are. But there are a few units out there that are built for water and have the alternate system in them, they arent PI's . The two i was looking at was the TEsoro Tiger shark, which curretnly is out of production but should be getting rereleased in a few weeks, and the Minelab excalibur. I really want an excalibur at first, but was looking more at the Tesoro because it was in my price range. Then i found out it wouldnt be out till the end of summer and someone cut me a sweet deal on the excal , so i got that. But the tesoro also seems awsome. Not only is it water proof and a great water detector but its suppsedly awsome on land too, with good discrim and depth. As well suposedly it is very very good to pick up small gold. So good that its recommended for Gold Prospecting. Even though i just got a excal i may look into a tesoro after they are rereleased. Hope this helps

HH

So i just recently was going threw the same struggle. what to get that would be duel purpose for land and water. I found out that you deffinetly dont want a PI unit. Any of the others, which are LVP or something like that are what land units are. But there are a few units out there that are built for water and have the alternate system in them, they arent PI's . The two i was looking at was the TEsoro Tiger shark, which curretnly is out of production but should be getting rereleased in a few weeks, and the Minelab excalibur. I really want an excalibur at first, but was looking more at the Tesoro because it was in my price range. Then i found out it wouldnt be out till the end of summer and someone cut me a sweet deal on the excal , so i got that. But the tesoro also seems awsome. Not only is it water proof and a great water detector but its suppsedly awsome on land too, with good discrim and depth. As well suposedly it is very very good to pick up small gold. So good that its recommended for Gold Prospecting. Even though i just got a excal i may look into a tesoro after they are rereleased. Hope this helps

HH

good info right there, thanks. Looks like I may be looking at those two then.

i forgot

i forgot to mention that the tesoro tiger shark sometimes falses in salt water still. it isnt anything to bad and nothing compared to what a land only detector does when falses. I just have been told that it does false sometimes in the salt. But that it wasnt to bad. hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom