Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
I dont believe that...back during the Depression this was true, folks had some skills...but not anymore...most folks have no idea how to catch anything let alone what to do with it if they did!

The fish and wildlife service says there are atleast 101 million hunters in the US. It don't matter if the rest starve , if you have 101 million hungry people hunting, trapping, fishing , etc. the wildlife will be wiped out in just a short time. Its not sustainable , especially since harvest laws could not be enforced.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ohiochris View post
The fish and wildlife service says there are atleast 101 million hunters in the US. It don't matter if the rest starve , if you have 101 million hungry people hunting, trapping, fishing , etc. the wildlife will be wiped out in just a short time. Its not sustainable , especially since harvest laws could not be enforced.
People would cannibalize each other.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by needler420 View post
People would cannibalize each other.
Soylent green IS people!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 08-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Supporter

Like with any .gov agency, the numbers are probably bogus. But, who’s to say for sure? Much of that total are recreational outdoors folks such as bird watchers.

They arrested him

Old 08-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Like any .gov agency, the numbers are bogus.

I don't think so. Ive lived in multiple states in both the north and the south , there are a LOT of people who still know how to survive off the land , you just don't see them very often in the city. The numbers the wildlife service give are just those who have bought a license or have reported their harvest.....there are many more who don't get a license or don't report the harvest , so the numbers don't show the many more who know what they are doing but do it in secret.

There is no reason for the wildlife service to fudge the numbers anyway.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Supporter

I don't think so. Ive lived in multiple states in both the north and the south , there are a LOT of people who still know how to survive off the land , you just don't see them very often in the city. The numbers the wildlife service give are just those who have bought a license or have reported their harvest.....there are many more who don't get a license or don't report the harvest , so if the numbers don't show the many more who know what they are doing but do it in secret.

There is no reason for the wildlife service to fudge the numbers anyway.
Do you have a link to the report? The one for 2016 says there were only 15.41 million hunting license holders in the US in 2014.

They arrested him

Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

Do you have a link to the report? The one for 2016 says there were only 15.41 million hunting license holders in the US in 2014.

It was just something I read.

But even 15.41 million....plus all the ones that are undocumented , and the quick learners who are able to catch on ...alone are enough to decimate the wildlife in no time. Especially at a time when the laws basically don't matter anymore. The real point here is that regardless of the numbers , wildlife harvest would not be sustainable so anybody assuming they could survive because they know how to hunt or fish will wind up just as hungry as everyone else , though they would not starve right away like others would.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Supporter

It was just something I read.

But even 15.41 million....plus all the ones that are undocumented , and the quick learners who are able to catch on ...alone are enough to decimate the wildlife in no time. Especially at a time when the laws basically don't matter anymore. The real point here is that regardless of the numbers , wildlife harvest would not be sustainable so anybody assuming they could survive because they know how to hunt or fish will wind up just as hungry as everyone else , though they would not starve right away like others would.

They arrested him

Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

Nah, plenty of wildlife ‘cause more than half those numbers can’t hunt.
keep telling yourself that.....

Even with such a comparitively small human population in the 1800's , many American species including the buffalo and white tailed deer were hunted to near extinction in a relatively short amount of time. It was only due to aggressive conservation efforts , management , and laws that they exist now. With SHTF , its a total freeforall...... and the harvest methods available now don't even give the wildlife a chance.
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

I already have a plan in place in case SHTF... Survival supplies, etc. I take this very seriously. I'm not sure if silver or gold will play a prominent role unless it's for trading... Unless it's for melting and killing werewolves... Don't kid yourself, firearms and ammo will be a necessity...

1 members found this post helpful.