Here's a fun repatriation posse-find story :

Not like the rewards I get for finding a ring. I had been detecting for hours in the heat and humidity. I was out of water and feeling the effects of dehydration.

Heading for the car. Had a young couple come up to me and ask if I would please come find her wedding band.

I did not feel up to walking the 70 or so yards back up the beach but consented to do so anyway.

Second target was her ring. I took it out of the scoop and handed it to her

As she turned to walk away she gave a half hearted Thanks.

One ungrateful little wench.

.... One ungrateful little wench.

For hunts like that, where you're already there and someone asks you to help: I don't think any of us would ask for a payment, or reward, or tip . Unless we'd driven there by appointment, and the cost was agreed-to ahead of time.

But you're right, AT LEAST they should give a thankyou.

That happened to a buddy of mine. He was working a very good set of scallops, down on the wet, when someone came asking for help to find a ring. And it was way down the beach from where his hot-spot action was. He agreed, and started the long trek down the beach to some dry sand volley courts. Not an easy feat, as he was well into his 70s, age-wise, at this time.

The bunch of college kids resumed playing volleyball, while my friend methodically combed the suspected area. Finally he found it. Held it up and called out to the guy. He came over, grabbed, said "cool", and ran back to resume playing volleyball. THAT WAS IT, eh ? Not even a thankyou ?

He hiked back down to the beach to his erosion spot, only to see the tide had now come in and covered it. He could have been there the whole time in his action. So ... yes .... in those cases, $$ is not the issue. It's gratitude for the time someone detours to help, should at least get a thankyou.

One return I did was because I was asked by the wife of the Gentleman who lost the ring. When I handed him the ring his hands were shaking as he put it on and then he turned and walked away from some distance. I could see his shoulders shaking. That was when I realized he was crying. He was extremely grateful to get his ring back.

Another young lady got married on Saturday, Lost her ring on Sunday and it was my second target on Monday morning. She cried when I gave her the ring It was just a relatively inexpensive 925 ring but it meant a lot to her

The last find got my neck hugged three or four times and the young lady is still sending me texts and emails thanking me for finding the ring. It belonged to her deceased Grandmother.

I enjoy giving someone their treasured jewelry back if they actually seem to appreciate my efforts.

I do not need or want their money but some honest appreciation means a lot.

.... I do not need or want their money but some honest appreciation means a lot.

Yes, the money is a replaceable non issue, non necessary, etc.... But the human relations component is irreplaceable .

That's why you notice Hollywood movies always follow the same theme. It's never about "who got the most money". It's about some wrong that got righted, someone who "saved the day" (saved the damsel in the distress, & gave the bad guy his due, the guy got the girl he was chasing, the murder mystery got solved, etc....).

So too is it with md'ing: We all like to find cool stuff. But .... then so-too do we all like it when that happens with buddies to-whom we're pacing ourselves with. Or when something funny happens, or some rescue occurs, etc... And unless that's a 2-way street (the other party being part ), then it becomes a thankless 1-way street.

Back
Top Bottom