The Mighty Sniper Coil Took A Ride With The ACE 400 On Such A Cold Winters Day

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
k%201_zpsrgne4hns.jpg~original

It was a little cold today! Temps of -6°C/21°F. means the rechargeable NiMH batteries need to stay warm or they will drain quickly. I just tape one of those hot pacs on the machine head, cover it with a kleenex to add R value the slip on the cover. That keeps the batteries warm for about 10 hours.

k%204_zpssxpgurea.jpg~original

That little hockey puck coil really hits tiny targets. I air tested pennies to about 5 1/2 inches. It's great for getting into tiny spots. I have never been a fan of large coils....the ID isn't that precise, they suck in trashy places and are heavy.

k%206_zpshrkptzff.jpg~original

I was working an old pic-nic site, which I have hit several times in the last 20 years or so. It still sometimes gives up a good find or two. On the left is the lid of an old canning jar, a common find in old pic-nic areas. The pic on the right is a rabbit hiding in a hole from the roots of a large pine tree which had fallen.Poor feller........he turned white for the winter, yet we have little snow. Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

k%205_zpsfqgyh5md.jpg~original

Ha! I bet this person was pizzed! Nearly a full pack of cigarettes lost. At $10.00+ a pack, can't blame him. The lighter was found in another area. I haven't found a Zippo lighter for a while.

k%2010_zpssbzuefm2.jpg~original

Probably an old mechanical bell which was used on a bicycle. Much more complicated then today's bells.

k%2013_zpsl8mk6iie.jpg~original

Here's the only coin I got....one clad dime. Those 22 casings were buried 2-3 inches. It was beginning to get dark out, I was getting cold and brought along some nice recently smoked deer jerky for a snack. It was time to leave!

Attachments

• k 14.jpg
    k 14.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 353
Enjoyed reading the post, John. I agree about not really caring for larger coils. I prefer a 6-8 inch coil, and run the 5x8 on my at pro exclusively. Use the 3030 w/ 11 in coil for larger areas.

Looks like you had a fun hunt, way to sniff out a few goodies from a previously hunted site, thanks for sharing!:cool:

Great post and congrats on the hunt - the Zippo's are always a nice find. Like Mud said, they are guaranteed for life so send it in if it's inop.

Completely agree about the big coils. Put the NEL Sharpshooter on and never went back. When we visited my kid and detected with him, I thought I'd thrown my shoulder out swinging his huge coils. They have their place, but I love the small NEL coil.

GL & HH

Enjoyed reading the post, John. I agree about not really caring for larger coils. I prefer a 6-8 inch coil, and run the 5x8 on my at pro exclusively. Use the 3030 w/ 11 in coil for larger areas.

Looks like you had a fun hunt, way to sniff out a few goodies from a previously hunted site, thanks for sharing!:cool:

With coils.....bigger is not usually better.

Nice work John! I love that Zippo! Can you get it to work? If not, send it in and they will fix it for Free!
Mud

Actually, it is in great condition. All it needs is a flint and some lighter fluid. Some have said it's a collectors item due to the name and concert it is associated with. Maybe, one of these days when I figure how to sell on Ebay, I will sell it.

Good hearing from you. Miss you on the other forum. Have a great Merry Christmas!

Great post and congrats on the hunt - the Zippo's are always a nice find. Like Mud said, they are guaranteed for life so send it in if it's inop.

Completely agree about the big coils. Put the NEL Sharpshooter on and never went back. When we visited my kid and detected with him, I thought I'd thrown my shoulder out swinging his huge coils. They have their place, but I love the small NEL coil.

GL & HH

Glad that the Nel is working out well for you!

Back
Top Bottom