Garrett Carrot ATP vs Makro PP

MD-Mainiac

Forum Supporter
So after a year of using me Makro PP and using the Carrot..
I have come to a few opinions..

Firstly, the carrot has a much longer detection area... It can find the metal object further then the Makro. Howver, that is the only thing it has over the Makro..
The makro, never falses, never needs resetting. I have found the carrot to start going nuts for no reason at all, requiring me to turn it off and on.
If i dig the carrot, it will false on me.
Never happens to the makro.
I will say that overall, i find the Makro pin pointer the best.
oh, with the Makro PP on, it won't interfere with my detecting.

Last edited:
I've found with my carrot, sometimes I'll turn it on, the light will come on and it'll go through its noises/vibration but won't actually detect. I'll have to cycle it to get it to actually work. Happens frequently enough to be annoying but otherwise like it.

I've found with my carrot, sometimes I'll turn it on, the light will come on and it'll go through its noises/vibration but won't actually detect. I'll have to cycle it to get it to actually work. Happens frequently enough to be annoying but otherwise like it.

Mine will do that if I turn it on near my detector, or any metal object. I think it's detuning itself down to minimum sensitivity, right as you power on.
Try turning it on while holding it out away from any other objects. Seems to work for me.

May want to change the title so not confusing. Pro Pointer 2 is the revised black one. The "carrot" is the pro pointer AT.

I own the black Garret pin pointer.

While I was not happy with the first two I received, I have had excellent service from my last one. I dont own any foreign metal detectors so cant comment on the Makro. Im not sure of any benefits of having more depth or sensitivity from the original black garret PP. I also own the Whites TRX and it is a beast, but just too much pin pointer for a trashy park. I love the push button function of black garret pp. The trx has to be held till it beeps. I think they should rename this thread Turkish vs American metal detectors.

While I was not happy with the first two I received, I have had excellent service from my last one. I dont own any foreign metal detectors so cant comment on the Makro. Im not sure of any benefits of having more depth or sensitivity from the original black garret PP. I also own the Whites TRX and it is a beast, but just too much pin pointer for a trashy park. I love the push button function of black garret pp. The trx has to be held till it beeps. I think they should rename this thread Turkish vs American metal detectors.

We are talking about pin pointers..
The makro has a ton of features I like. I can change the sensitivity depth with a push of a button, from most sensitive to least sensitive.

Plus the waterproof feature out of the box is awesome...

Um isnt a pin pointer basically a metal detector?

While Makro has mimic'd some popular american brands it has not sold me on one machine, oh um pin pointer yet. Again all those functions are useless in a trashy park hunting for coins.

When I think of sensitivity of a detector, I think of a gold nugget detector. When I think of depth, I think of a relic machine. When I think of pin pointing, I think of a inch or less in the hole. The garret black pp will go almost 2 inches. It keeps me from gouging a coin or ring. I dont get your point about the comparison or why anyone should even buy one unless they do a lot of water hunting. A lil black electrical tape and I have a water proof pin pointer lol.

Oh to be clear, being able to go 6 inches on a targets can be frustrating in a trashy or iron laden area. I know there is some new guy out there going if I can just get a few more inches on my pin pointer I will find more coins. I have found that to be the opposite.

So does this mean I have to wear a wet suit if I am hunting with a water proof pin pointer lol. Wouldn't that be fun in a hot city park. Me and my snorkle.

Ratcheting and changing settings are cool if you like that sort of thing. Did you know the TRX will actually play a melody if you get the button combination right? Does the Makro pp do that? Im sorry to be a downer about this but I hate seeing folks spending hard earned cash unwisely.

Since this post is basically being ignored maybe this will get folks talking about the Makro PP. I know there is a bunch of folks with the Orange carrot out there for sure.

While Makro has mimic'd some popular american brands it has not sold me on one machine, oh um pin pointer yet. Again all those functions are useless in a trashy park hunting for coins.

When I think of sensitivity of a detector, I think of a gold nugget detector. When I think of depth, I think of a relic machine. When I think of pin pointing, I think of a inch or less in the hole. The garret black pp will go almost 2 inches. It keeps me from gouging a coin or ring. I dont get your point about the comparison or why anyone should even buy one unless they do a lot of water hunting. A lil black electrical tape and I have a water proof pin pointer lol.

Oh to be clear, being able to go 6 inches on a targets can be frustrating in a trashy or iron laden area. I know there is some new guy out there going if I can just get a few more inches on my pin pointer I will find more coins. I have found that to be the opposite.

So does this mean I have to wear a wet suit if I am hunting with a water proof pin pointer lol. Wouldn't that be fun in a hot city park. Me and my snorkle.

Ratcheting and changing settings are cool if you like that sort of thing. Did you know the TRX will actually play a melody if you get the button combination right? Does the Makro pp do that? Im sorry to be a downer about this but I hate seeing folks spending hard earned cash unwisely.

Since this post is basically being ignored maybe this will get folks talking about the Makro PP. I know there is a bunch of folks with the Orange carrot out there for sure.

My carrot will detect a target 4 to 5 inches in a hole... To me that is too much...Sometimes I can't tell where the target is. The makro is less sensitive or has less range so it works better, for me, in a hole.

And btw.. don't know where you are coming from... I didn't write this post to get views.. So I don't care if it is ignored. and I am not including the detectors, because I know nothing of them.

This isn't about anything other then my opinion of the two after using both of them. Have you used both types of pin pointers? If not then you really don't have a valid opinion.

Last edited:
Mine will do that if I turn it on near my detector, or any metal object. I think it's detuning itself down to minimum sensitivity, right as you power on.
Try turning it on while holding it out away from any other objects. Seems to work for me.

Thanks, will give that a try!

My carrot will detect a target 4 to 5 inches in a hole... To me that is too much...Sometimes I can't tell where the target is....

Sounds like you didn't read the manual... :roll:

The Carrot will detune with the push of the power button. When it's beepin'/vibratin' and the target's not close, a quick push of the power button will detune it a notch. You can do that a couple times, so that it only beeps when right up next to your target. I really like my Carrot!
BTW - I also use a TRX, and it detunes the same way.

Thanks, will give that a try!

Hold it away from everything (including ground) when you push the button, and wait a second or two before you use it. Seems that it takes a second to figure out what sensitivity setting it should be at, and if you hold it out away from everything, it should start at max sensitivity. You then just detune (quickly push button) as needed.
I think it's supposed to do that so it automatically ground balances.

^_^

Sounds like you didn't read the manual... :roll:

The Carrot will detune with the push of the power button. When it's beepin'/vibratin' and the target's not close, a quick push of the power button will detune it a notch. You can do that a couple times, so that it only beeps when right up next to your target. I really like my Carrot!
BTW - I also use a TRX, and it detunes the same way.

I own both the TRX and the Carrot also, and always run both on full sensitivity, THEN use the quick detune with a simpl press of the button. Neatest thing since sliced bread ;-) No brainer IMO

I have both the carrot and the Makro. Got the carrot first then the Makro free as a deal on a Racer 2 Pro purchase. Both are very similar in being waterproof and the sensitivity controls. After using both I honestly prefer the carrot. I run both at max sensitivity. The carrot get greater depth and is more sensitive to small stuff like copper rivet heads which I can pick out of the dirt. The Makro will not sound off on the rivet.

The on/off button on the Makro is too small and is placed at a more troublesome area of the pointer to push. Also to me the most annoying feature is the wait time for the Makro pointer to turn off or on than compared to the carrot. Although it may seem trivial, digging hundreds of holes and having to wait for the pointer to get itself ready for use AFTER you have pressed the on or off button adds up quick.

The carrot is also more comfortable to hold. The rear thick chunky section of the Makro pointer is a little odd holding in the palm of your hand. My Makro pointer never falses. My carrot does. How much depends on it mood. But from use I have learnt it is a power issue. If it starts misbehaving, I unscrew the cap, remove the battery, then put in the battery again and screw in the cap again. ALWAYS sorts out the falsing problem on my carrot.

I have to do that. I point it away from me straight armed at a 45 degree angle up into the air, listen for the beep and then start using it. If you turn it on with any metal around, it detunes it. Other that, it's been great. I still have no idea why some of you guys dig with it though. It's not a digger, it's an extention of your detector...and surely you wouldn't try to dig with that?

One odd thing I have noticed about my carrot though, when I hold it upside down in the air it falses. Maybe I don't have the battery cover on tight enough sometimes, but it can be a bugger to get off if screwed on too tight. Not much of an issue though since I don't detect upside down. :laughing:

The only problem with the Garrett AT Pro Pointer advertised as "Water Proof"!! IS NOT WATERPROOF AT ALL!!! My detecting partner and I found a colonial honey hole in a creek. We have "drowned" 5 PP's actually using them in the water over the last 3 months!! Very disappointed....even though Garrett has been responsive in exchanging them....they keep failing.

However my AT Pro Detector has done well in the water, waist deep....casing submerged and hall has been well.

Garrett needs to address this but not a lot of people actually submerge them I suspect.

I dont mind my carrot, but hands down best I have ever had was my TRX. Detector would hit a coin say 6 inches id put the trx max sens. And put it straight up and down and it would pin point it saved me the trouble of digging an actual or a bigger plug.plus the option of 2AA's or 1 9v was a plus. That said trx is my next after the garrett.

I dont mind my carrot, but hands down best I have ever had was my TRX. Detector would hit a coin say 6 inches id put the trx max sens. And put it straight up and down and it would pin point it saved me the trouble of digging an actual or a bigger plug.plus the option of 2AA's or 1 9v was a plus. That said trx is my next after the garrett.

I have to agree with you, my AT Pro is now my backup pin pointer.

I have both the carrot and the Makro. Got the carrot first then the Makro free as a deal on a Racer 2 Pro purchase. Both are very similar in being waterproof and the sensitivity controls. After using both I honestly prefer the carrot. I run both at max sensitivity. The carrot get greater depth and is more sensitive to small stuff like copper rivet heads which I can pick out of the dirt. The Makro will not sound off on the rivet.

The on/off button on the Makro is too small and is placed at a more troublesome area of the pointer to push. Also to me the most annoying feature is the wait time for the Makro pointer to turn off or on than compared to the carrot. Although it may seem trivial, digging hundreds of holes and having to wait for the pointer to get itself ready for use AFTER you have pressed the on or off button adds up quick.

The carrot is also more comfortable to hold. The rear thick chunky section of the Makro pointer is a little odd holding in the palm of your hand. My Makro pointer never falses. My carrot does. How much depends on it mood. But from use I have learnt it is a power issue. If it starts misbehaving, I unscrew the cap, remove the battery, then put in the battery again and screw in the cap again. ALWAYS sorts out the falsing problem on my carrot.

The on off switch pushed me away from the Makro that alone makes it look like a two hand operation.

So I've never used the Makro, but had my carrot for 1.5 years and it does not false, period. The other thing I like about the Garrett was last fall I finally got around to sending my propointer(black one) I after I destroyed it trying to fix its falsing. 45.00 and it looks like a brand new one, I was impressed with their service.

Back
Top Bottom