Rechargeable batteries?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Are they completely worth it? Read in a user manual normal batteries would last 25 hours and rechargeables would only last about 8 hours? Does that seem right?

Sorry for all the newbie questions and threads guys, but I promise to help give back once I take a little and gain more knowledge... There is just so much you learn from experience and I just don't have enough of it yet.

I run all my machines on rechargables and on average they stay charged for 90% of a hunt, so they work great in my opinion!

I've been running the same rechargables for 2 years and stole them from one of my kids toys. Still going strong. Definitely worth it. Especially if your kinds have 50 of them in and out of everything.

I use rechargeables in most everything, never had to stop in the middle of anything, to swap out dead batteries. It's best to recharge them before they get completely exhausted. For stuff you use regularly, it really makes good sense, and saves a lot of money. Never hunted 8 hour straight, so not sure if that's true or not, but seems like more than enough, just bring a spare set, you've got to be taking a few breaks during a long hunt like that. I can understand not wanting to change batteries when hunting in water. Rechargeables, you buy once, and they last for years, if you take care of them. Alkaline, you throw out every few days/weeks.

I would go broke if I had to buy batteries! I use eneloop AA in both detectors and energizer rechargeable in my carrots. I hunt somewhere around 12 or more hours a week total and never ran them dead in that time. The 9 volts are first to wear down, the AA hold up very well. I have charged mine over 30 times.

I would go broke if I had to buy batteries! I use eneloop AA in both detectors and energizer rechargeable in my carrots. I hunt somewhere around 12 or more hours a week total and never ran them dead in that time. The 9 volts are first to wear down, the AA hold up very well. I have charged mine over 30 times.

Yeah, I'm running 9 volt in detector and probe. I heard they wear out faster than the other sizes too. Still worth it seems to be the concensus though, thanks guys!

Are they completely worth it? Read in a user manual normal batteries would last 25 hours and rechargeables would only last about 8 hours? Does that seem right?
No, not anywhere near right. I run rechargeables in all my detectors.
I would say i get anywhere from 25-35 hrs on them, closer to the high end. Now I dont run them for 25hrs straight, but i do run them for a lot of 1-2 hr hunts and have never had a problem.

Rechargeable batteries,,not all equal with ampere rating,,some will last longer than others.

Generally,,,expect fewer hours on rechargeable vs say aka line batteries.

Maybe somewhere around 65 to 85 percent runtime on rechargeable vs say akaline.

One note hear,,,rechargeables when sitting idle,,,IMO on average don't fair as well as alkaline.

But if you will charge up before hunting,,,especially on longer days,,you'll be fine.

Also remember after you use alkalines,,,their power will be reduced,,,and further hunts,,,if you don't keep track,,,if you take no spares,,,could,be a bummer while trying to detect.

Also battery meters if applicable on some detectors,,,not all here reflect actual run time left.---some better than others,,and the use of rechargeables here can cause the meter to be based on what is indicated,,Paint a differ t picture.

My recommendation is,,,YES get you some rechargeables and charger,,,and take a set of alkalines along for spares if emergency should arise.

Cheers

Good question btw..

Thank you gentlemen! Don't ever want to run out of juice when the pickings get good! Cost wise, they sound like a smart investment move. Always looking for ways to reduce costs, and maximize finds! Appreciate all the input!

Thank you gentlemen! Don't ever want to run out of juice when the pickings get good! Cost wise, they sound like a smart investment move. Always looking for ways to reduce costs, and maximize finds! Appreciate all the input!

You are welcome..

Some detectors will work some will not:

Attachments

• rechargeable.JPG
    rechargeable.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 338
Check out Coin Pirates thread for more on rechargeable 9V batteries

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=234747

These are available on eBay and probably other places also.

That's where this thread idea came from. I saw his post and thought, "oh yeah, someone told me to get those..." I'm one of those that hunts like 2-3 hours per trip though, and often wouldn't remember to recharge between each time. So I guess the best option is to get like 2 or 3 batteries that way I have an extra for a spare for those not so smart times.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the thread leads Msand, I'll follow those up!

Damn....I'm famous, thanks for the reference Grump, I've got about just under 10 hrs so far on the first charge, no sign of battery meter depletion yet, will keep track. These are higher end 9v's and supposed to be a lot better than standard nimh rechargeable batteries as well, these are gel filled 600mAh Li-ion batteries.
Also, I always keep good ole Duracell's or Energizers in my vehicle should I need backups, but they will probably go bad from old age if I don't swap them out once in a while.

Here's where I bought mine---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-EBL-6F22-9V-600mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-4-Pack-6F22-9-Volt-Charger-/111974477126?hash=item1a1232ed46:g:GjsAAOSwd3dXFuh4

They sell them on Amazon as well, you can get EBL batteries in AA and other sizes as well.

Damn....I'm famous, thanks for the reference Grump, I've got about just under 10 hrs so far on the first charge, no sign of battery meter depletion yet, will keep track. These are higher end 9v's and supposed to be a lot better than standard nimh rechargeable batteries as well, these are gel filled 600mAh Li-ion batteries.
Also, I always keep good ole Duracell's or Energizers in my vehicle should I need backups, but they will probably go bad from old age if I don't swap them out once in a while.

Here's where I bought mine---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-EBL-6F22-9V-600mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-4-Pack-6F22-9-Volt-Charger-/111974477126?hash=item1a1232ed46:g:GjsAAOSwd3dXFuh4

They sell them on Amazon as well, you can get EBL batteries in AA and other sizes as well.

Yep, I stole your idea off your post and ordered the same exact ones, lol! They are cheaper from Ebay since it seems EBL has a store on Amazon and has that market cornered. I got the 2 batt charger though, since I only need 3 batt recharged at one time. The 2 batt charger looked like it might hold up better stuck in the wall to the outlet. The 4 charger looks nice though!

They had up to 1150 mAh, but I don't trust those off brand names not to explode.

Back
Top Bottom