45 Automatic

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
Ok, so it's a 4.5mm. Still got me worked up until I recognized it was a good ol' Markman bb gun. Maybe the next pistol will be real, lol.

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,210
I had one of those growing up.....came with a target..... Pretty powerless but fun to plink in the basement with

Lol. Guy I bought a detector off of tonight was telling me about his first detecting find. Pistol that ended up was used in a murder..

One has to wonder what we can uncover which was ment to be forever lost.

Wow that cool I still have one of those in working order. Not to powerful but but still shoots. Congrats

I found a old gob of rusted metal that used to be a small revolver in a lake at a county park. Being a newb at the time I gave it to a park ranger. Mistake! :roll:

They freaked out, called the sheriff and I was stuck there the rest of the day telling and re telling how I happened to scoop a handgun out of the lake and where.

Next one gets thrown as far as I can out into deeper water.

I found a old gob of rusted metal that used to be a small revolver in a lake at a county park. Being a newb at the time I gave it to a park ranger. Mistake! :roll:

They freaked out, called the sheriff and I was stuck there the rest of the day telling and re telling how I happened to scoop a handgun out of the lake and where.

Next one gets thrown as far as I can out into deeper water.

Interesting. First you can get it back if you want it. Second, if it is really rusted and old you really do not have to report it.

As a non firing gun it is only an old relic. NOT a weapon. If I find the machine gun I am searching for, you know for sure it will never be reported. It will also never be cleaned to see if it will work again. I have both real pistols I have found in my possession now after the police had them.

Interesting. First you can get it back if you want it. Second, if it is really rusted and old you really do not have to report it.

As a non firing gun it is only an old relic. NOT a weapon. If I find the machine gun I am searching for, you know for sure it will never be reported. It will also never be cleaned to see if it will work again. I have both real pistols I have found in my possession now after the police had them.

Wish I knew that Bob. I found 2 while diving in Canandaigua lake. (A sawed off 12 gauge, and a .38 revolver) Called the Sherriff's Dept. to see if they were interested. They wanted them right away. I asked if I could ever get them back. They said no way. They were rusted beyond repair. Would have loved to have them in my display case.....

It was just a gob of extremely rusted metal, like a big orange mushroom.
I would have thrown it into the nearest trash can with the rest of the trash in my pouch.

It was just a gob of extremely rusted metal, like a big orange mushroom.
I would have thrown it into the nearest trash can with the rest of the trash in my pouch.

Electrolysis is your friend!!! Not to hijack this thread but the police cleaned both of mine FREE!!! And I have them in my collection.

ALSO, Any pistol made before 1900 is a RELIC and DOES NOT have to be reported.

What MOST detectorists do not realize is ANY weapon that is rusted beyond repair is not a weapon anymore. It is a piece of metal. Another thing is if it is that bad, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a ballistics test from a fired bullet because the rust and pits would make any bullet that came out of it different than if it was freshly fired.

Also you really have to be careful on WHICH law enforcement agency you give your gun to if you do it at all. I almost had to take the one to court because the 357 magnum I found is now an operational weapon and they wanted to destroy it. Again police do NOT know and do NOT follow the laws sometimes either. I had to get a copy of the law to educate a chief of police. Even then he balked at returning it. Long story.

I am here to help with all my experience.

I have found quite a few cap gun, cowboy style revolver toy pistols.
Always in very bad shape.
I hope to someday, find one in as good as condition, as that.
Either revolver or 1911 style, or both.
AWESOME FIND !!! :cool:

Thanks, all, yeah it was a real "Holy $#!+" moment! The weight seemed substantial, but I have one just like it, too, so the moment didn't last long. It's just packed full of dirt. No plans to restore it -- it doesn't appear to be too old, the cocking slide is broken/missing and I bet you can still get one new -- Amazon $24. And yeah, weak, inaccurate, but fun to plink with.

Interesting discussion on how to handle finding a real gun! I never really thought about the legal responsibilities, or not getting it back from authorities -- that's bogus.

ScubaDetector, were you able to electrolyze a rusty hunk of metal into a working revolver? Curious as to the restoration process and safely testing the restored piece.

No mine wasn't rusted after being in the water for 40 years. Here is a picture of how it looked when I first found it.

The Police department cleaned it. I had to replace the main spring. It will fire but I didn't want it restored. I enjoy it the way it looks now.

I had a GUNSMITH replace the spring, repair the timing and test it. I have NOT fired it nor will I probably. I for sure wouldn't put hot 357 mag bullets through it. He did say it works fine.

This gun was probably lost or tossed in the late 1800's. The sheriffs office decided it would never fire again and gave it back. It is a 22 derringer.

This is it cleaned a little, along with another barrel of a 22 single shot I found. I haven't found the rest of that gun yet. I don't want to clean it any more either.

the moral of this story is simple, never turn anything in to the police. at least that's the way I see it. if I want it I keep it, if I think it would be dangerous for someone else to get their hands on then I dispose of it myself. don't involve the police in anything unless absolutely necessary. you usually are just asking for trouble. HH Steve

the moral of this story is simple, never turn anything in to the police. at least that's the way I see it. if I want it I keep it, if I think it would be dangerous for someone else to get their hands on then I dispose of it myself. don't involve the police in anything unless absolutely necessary. you usually are just asking for trouble. HH Steve

I disagree. That 357 might have been a murder weapon and implicated someone in the crime. BUT everyone on here has the right to do what they desire with their finds.

HOWEVER, I do see and understand your point. You should have seen the fun I had with WW1 practice bombs and the police!!

I believe you are correct. I had one as a kid and remember it came with darts.

That was the coolest toy ever when i got it. Well until my buddy shot me in the leg with it. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom