My first civil war cannonball!!!

planerie

Elite Member
I went hunting at the Plantation again this weekend and found lots of really cool finds but this one takes the prize. My first ever cannonball. I don't have a scale but looks to be a 10 or 12 pounder.

Grats on your awesome find----something that would never cross my mind of finding in Ohio

:p Can't find a second until you find the first.:yes::yes:That is really a great dig.

Acey

Nice find! I've been dreaming of finding one for the past 23 years and still none!

Wow! That's fantastic. I have always wondered though...and please don't destroy me for asking this dumb question:surrender:. When relic hunting of this kind, do you hunt with no iron discrimination? If you do disc iron, then how exactly does a cannon ball sound off? Overload? Congratulations and thanks ahead for tolerating my silly question.

Wow! That's fantastic. I have always wondered though...and please don't destroy me for asking this dumb question:surrender:. When relic hunting of this kind, do you hunt with no iron discrimination? If you do disc iron, then how exactly does a cannon ball sound off? Overload? Congratulations and thanks ahead for tolerating my silly question.

Good question, I've always assumed they would read as a high coin on many detectors? Large rusted iron has fooled my detectors many times.

I always hunt in all metal mode. I use my ears and listen to what the detector is telling me before I even look at the screen. I've dug some of my best finds that I was 99% sure would be iron trash but still had an interesting tone to it. The cannon ball had part of it showing above the ground and was a large iron overload. On the X-Terra's larger iron rings up 46-48 which is max segments for the machine but has a scratchy sound. Hope that explanation helps.

I always hunt in all metal mode. I use my ears and listen to what the detector is telling me before I even look at the screen. I've dug some of my best finds that I was 99% sure would be iron trash but still had an interesting tone to it. The cannon ball had part of it showing above the ground and was a large iron overload. On the X-Terra's larger iron rings up 46-48 which is max segments for the machine but has a scratchy sound. Hope that explanation helps.

That's one thing I liked about my CZ (well sometimes), 99% of iron sounded like it was a good target so I ended up digging everything, yeah it was annoying at some sites, but it did find me some good items I would not have found otherwise! :D

That's one thing I liked about my CZ (well sometimes), 99% of iron sounded like it was a good target so I ended up digging everything, yeah it was annoying at some sites, but it did find me some good items I would not have found otherwise! :D

I found the cannonball Saturday so the rest of the day and Sunday I dug every large iron signal lets just say I'm a sore mofo today. Lol

Back
Top Bottom