Discrimination for civil war relics?

Nope, I'd dig it all, unless I realized I was in a bed of nails. Some buckles, guns etc "could" ring up as iron...

If and only if a lot of modern human traffic has been there would I disc out iron. If you start finding tons of pull tabs and modern nails time to disc out the junk.

Well, I found this in all metal, but I just did an air test with my Vaquero.

It will pick it up with the disc on the iron line, will also pick it up a little above that line, but then starts to break up.
I also tried a regular rusty nail about 3 inches long.

If I disc out the nail, I still pick up the grapeshot loud and clear.
A larger thicker nail and results could be different.

For relic hunting, I usually set the disc as low as it can go or hunt in all metal.

Lots more digging and trash, but it kills me to think that I could miss something good if I don't.

Attachments

• grapshot.jpg
    grapshot.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,757
What he said,

Buttons can come in a coin range sometimes, but they are usually in the
trash range, all the way down to foil. Sometimes you have to have the
disc all the way down just to pick them up. Large bullets come in around
pull tab or lower. They hit better and deeper than buttons usually.
Buckles can be like pull tabs to iron.

Speaking of iron.

Do you like canister shot (grape shot)?

10-17-1.jpg

How about a 24 pound cannon primer prick?

1-2-09-1.jpg

How about old soldier's pocket knifes?

5-14-4.jpg

Or slave shackles?

5-20-4-1.jpg

How about a cool musket tool? :cool:

2-27-8.jpg

Or maybe a musket lock plate?

10-11-2-1.jpg

I won find of the year in our metal detecting club with this 44 cal cap and
ball pistol cylinder,

5-14-7-1.jpg

5-14-6-2.jpg

Now,

what was that you said about discrimination,,,,,,,?

Oh,,,, never mind,,,, just use a little disc iffin ya have ta,

forget tha programs,

I've dug a lot of CW relics with my Cibola turned just past iron. The buttons and the Minnie balls still rind in loud and clear. At that setting I have amassed a nice CW collection. I even dug 2 small friction primers at that setting 6" deep. The Cibola is hot on lead, brass and coins. Only thing I've had trouble with using this particular machine was no ground balance.

Depends on mode of relic hunting.

If I'm scouting through woods I run the discrimination down into real low numbers on my Fisher F75, something like 2 to lose mineralized falses but so I can find square nails and such to tell me I'm getting into an area that I need to slow down in. Once I am in an area with nails I'll bump it up to around 8 just to lose the nails but not thick iron.

Confederate stuff is harder to come by, so that logic is actually good. The union troops were much better equipped that the confederates.

Someone said "The North is a direction, the South is a place!" ;) -I'm a transplanted Yankee from Indiana -20 yrs ago, and only in the last 10 years have these folks down here stopped fighting the civil war!

Confederate finds are hard to come by 95% of my CW finds are Union but that's ok I will take any I find there all great finds.

Most of my sites date earlier to CW, but digging all iron would waste more time than it's worth. Even with low disc. worthy iron still sounds through so it's the best of both worlds.

Confederate stuff is harder to come by, so that logic is actually good. The union troops were much better equipped that the confederates.

Someone said "The North is a direction, the South is a place!" ;) -I'm a transplanted Yankee from Indiana -20 yrs ago, and only in the last 10 years have these folks down here stopped fighting the civil war!

Then, you need to move - you are no longer living in the real South :lol:

I would LOVE to dig CW relics. That era of histopry has always been my favorite. Enjoy some reenacting of CW as well as visiting the sites. I admire all of your great CW relic finds. Keep it up and please keep sharing them with the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom