was detecting my brothers property where hes is going to build a shop
they cleaned off about 4 inches of grass and dirt
so I hit it with my new exterra 705
I found a 44 rimfire about three inches under that with a H headstamp
but a little ways away from that I found a 22 rimfire also
with an H headstamp its to long to be a longrifle but too short to be a 22 mag
its about 15/16ths long and has a round firing pin strike anyone have a clue
what it might be?

Too long to be a Long Rifle and too short for the Magnum sounds like a Winchester WRF. If I remember right the Winchester Co. continued to use the "H" as a headstamp after they bought out Henry Repeating Rifles. Still used today I believe. The WRF was used in the Model 1890 take down rifle that was also available in short and long. Learned to shoot on one back when they were still making cartridges for it. Not sure the last time they made them. Not interchangeable with anything. Chamber is slightly larger and the brass either splits or expands too much to get out if you try firing a short or long in one.

Want to correct something I wrote above. You can fire the WRF in a Magnum but not the other way around. They both use the .224 diameter bullet like all .22 centerfires do. This round is also called the Remington Special, but it would have a different headstamp if it was one of those.

Question about the .44 rf if you have the time. Is the headstamp area of the .44 bulge out in the center? Does it have two firing pin strikes on the rim?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom