Nickel trifecta and sterling

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Hey everyone, I was able to get out as the sun was setting last night for a couple hours. Haven't been hunting very often, been very busy. Had a descent hunt, was hoping for a silver coin but it just never showed. I believe both the shield and the V are from the 1880's. Love the pin, how it has the silversmiths name on it, and it's labeled "silver " vs. "sterling". Was digging mostly mid tones hoping for my first gold fty, and hoping for my first old gold. That never showed either :no: not sure when I'll be getting out again, either later tonight or tomorrow morning hopefully. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 294
I cannot find much in the way of "G. Alvord"

The pin had enamel on it once. It is called the "Go To Chuch Band" pin. Can't find a approximate date. I can't remember when they started stamping jewelry with "Sterling" instead of "Silver"

Edit:

I found an article in July 30th, 1914 printing of "The Congregationalist and Christian World volume 99" that says:

"Northbridge, Rockdale. W. H. Watson, Pastor. On Children's Day, 50 young children were on the platform and 160 in attendance, young and old. Twenty-five 'Go-To-Church-Band' pins were given out for regular attendance in the past five months. The church was beautifully decorated with flags."

The pins all have numbers on them - presumably - one through five.

Second edit:

Seems like it goes back as far as 1903 or so. The GTCB idea belonged to Rev. B. H. Stauffer of Buffalo, New York.

More info here: https://books.google.com/books?id=9...&q=history of "Go to church band" pin&f=false

This practice continued at least until 1944. (That is the last article I found from CT)

Last edited:
Fantastic hunt Jeff! Love that sterling pin and the trifecta is pretty cool as well, Congrats!
Have you had the CTX in the water yet? I'm gonna try and hit the lake this weekend. HH!

That pin is awesome as is the nickel trifecta. Congrats! Any idea what the pin is from?
Thanks bud! I guess it's a pin reminding people to go to church, pretty neat. Happy hunting!
I cannot find much in the way of "G. Alvord"

The pin had enamel on it once. It is called the "Go To Chuch Band" pin. Can't find a approximate date. I can't remember when they started stamping jewelry with "Sterling" instead of "Silver"

Edit:

I found an article in July 30th, 1914 printing of "The Congregationalist and Christian World volume 99" that says:

"Northbridge, Rockdale. W. H. Watson, Pastor. On Children's Day, 50 young children were on the platform and 160 in attendance, young and old. Twenty-five 'Go-To-Church-Band' pins were given out for regular attendance in the past five months. The church was beautifully decorated with flags."

The pins all have numbers on them - presumably - one through five.

Second edit:

Seems like it goes back as far as 1903 or so. The GTCB idea belonged to Rev. B. H. Stauffer of Buffalo, New York.

More info here: https://books.google.com/books?id=9...&q=history of "Go to church band" pin&f=false

This practice continued at least until 1944. (That is the last article I found from CT)
Dang! I appreciate the research man! It's a neat piece, very small too, but I didn't see any numbers on it, aside from the 2 on the front. Is that the bumber your referring to? Let me know about this weekend we can hit that same spot again, I know there's an old silver in there somewhere, and I wouldn't rule out a gold coin either. Happy hunting!
Fantastic hunt Jeff! Love that sterling pin and the trifecta is pretty cool as well, Congrats!
Have you had the CTX in the water yet? I'm gonna try and hit the lake this weekend. HH!

Thanks Ron! I've been in about knee deep water twice this season with waders on, not many good finds unfortunately. I'm starting to learn how to scoop targets up, much harder than it looks for sure! Happy hunting and good luck out there!

Thats a nice Hunt there cd. I can barely find any nickels. Three different is great detecting.

I know there's an old silver in there somewhere, and I wouldn't rule out a gold coin either. Happy hunting!

Yup. That two is the number I am referring to.

I am definitely on for this weekend.

I am sure there is old silver there. There are definitely some seated coins waiting for us. Gold coins? Skeptical, but, will keep hoping. The land of the two-centers I think was the best bet for gold coins. We haven't pulled one yet. This is one of those times I don't mind being wrong.

Congrats on the vintage sterling and the nickel trifecta...nice digs!
Thanks man!
Thats a nice Hunt there cd. I can barely find any nickels. Three different is great detecting.
Thank you!
Congrats on some great finds. I really like the cross!
Thanks buddy!
Yup. That two is the number I am referring to.

I am definitely on for this weekend.

I am sure there is old silver there. There are definitely some seated coins waiting for us. Gold coins? Skeptical, but, will keep hoping. The land of the two-centers I think was the best bet for gold coins. We haven't pulled one yet. This is one of those times I don't mind being wrong.
Awesome man can't wait, I'll see you there at some point. These finds came from up top too, not on the actual ballfield.
Nice finds......I've never dug a piece of silver that was marked "silver", everything was marked either "Sterling" or .925.
Thanks! An interesting piece, I also have never seen silver marked that way in person. I think I've seen a few pieces posted on here with the "silver" mark though. Happy hunting!
Love the nickels. Nice finds! !!
Thanks bud!

Nice hunting cellr the those are pretty neat pins congratulations I haven't been hunting much either got a nice long weekend coming yes

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom