Silvers #4 and #5 FTY

itsjames2011

Did some door knocking out in Westfield MA and got permission for a 1918 home. Got a 35 Merc and a 43 war Nickle. My girlfriend for the 40 Washington which was her first silver. :D
7a715a3c0ccc80c2cb11658cc648614a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Did some door knocking out in Westfield MA and got permission for a 1918 home. Got a 35 Merc and a 43 war Nickle. My girlfriend for the 40 Washington which was her first silver. :D
7a715a3c0ccc80c2cb11658cc648614a.jpg

Nice finds! I love the silver! I've got to start doing some door knocking......lots of older houses whose yards are likely holding more silver.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice finds! I love the silver! I've got to start doing some door knocking......lots of older houses whose yards are likely holding more silver.

Door knocking is all I do now. Can't remember the last time I detected a public place. In Massachusetts every piece of public land has been pounded to death....

Door knocking is all I do now. Can't remember the last time I detected a public place. In Massachusetts every piece of public land has been pounded to death....

Do you have any tips on asking permission? I have done the door knocking before but it was in my own neighborhood and everyone knew who I was. Should I take my wife and kids for a walk in a neighborhood I want to hunt to make myself a little less scary looking? I guess I'm somewhat nervous about it.

Do you have any tips on asking permission? I have done the door knocking before but it was in my own neighborhood and everyone knew who I was. Should I take my wife and kids for a walk in a neighborhood I want to hunt to make myself a little less scary looking? I guess I'm somewhat nervous about it.

I have a lot of years of successful door to door sales but honestly I keep it super simple. "Hi my name is James. On my days off I like to go out metal detecting looking for old coins like these here wheat pennies or the occasional silver dime.(At this point I hand them a couple of coins so they can't shut the door in my face :D ) That's actually the reason I'm on your porch right now. I see that you have an older home and I was wondering if I could do some detecting in your front yard.

Seriously that's it. If they give me any objections about digging holes and messing up the yard I just politely reassure them that they "won't even be able to tell I was here when I'm done".

Also, never ever ever bring your gear to the door with you. I keep everything in the car until permission is granted.

We went out hunting the last few days and heres how it worked out. The first day we went out we went to 3 houses that actually had people home. 2 said yes and 1 said no. Today we went to 3 houses. 2 said yes and 1 said no. All in all that's not too bad. I find for the most part yes is 50% of the time or more.

The next time we go out I will record a few of my door knocks and post them on my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmyPi6fg1Kn3N5mB6rpJcgA

Get out there and get knocking, it will increase your silve finds tenfold. And remember, every door you don't knock on is a definite NO! :cool:

I have a lot of years of successful door to door sales but honestly I keep it super simple. "Hi my name is James. On my days off I like to go out metal detecting looking for old coins like these here wheat pennies or the occasional silver dime.(At this point I hand them a couple of coins so they can't shut the door in my face :D ) That's actually the reason I'm on your porch right now. I see that you have an older home and I was wondering if I could do some detecting in your front yard.

Seriously that's it. If they give me any objections about digging holes and messing up the yard I just politely reassure them that they "won't even be able to tell I was here when I'm done".

Also, never ever ever bring your gear to the door with you. I keep everything in the car until permission is granted.

We went out hunting the last few days and heres how it worked out. The first day we went out we went to 3 houses that actually had people home. 2 said yes and 1 said no. Today we went to 3 houses. 2 said yes and 1 said no. All in all that's not too bad. I find for the most part yes is 50% of the time or more.

The next time we go out I will record a few of my door knocks and post them on my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmyPi6fg1Kn3N5mB6rpJcgA

Get out there and get knocking, it will increase your silve finds tenfold. And remember, every door you don't knock on is a definite NO! :cool:
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen.

57 of my 58 silvers this year came from public spots, it's still there if your willing to take the time to find the hot spots, great hunting and congrats on the silva!

57 of my 58 silvers this year came from public spots, it's still there if your willing to take the time to find the hot spots, great hunting and congrats on the silva!
That is completely baffling to me. I spent two summers pounding turn of the century parks with a ctx and etrac and never found more than Indians, large cents, and war Nickles. The only public places that have turned silver for me is sidewalk tearouts. Seems like you have a unique way of doing research.

That is completely baffling to me. I spent two summers pounding turn of the century parks with a ctx and etrac and never found more than Indians, large cents, and war Nickles. The only public places that have turned silver for me is sidewalk tearouts. Seems like you have a unique way of doing research.

Most parks I go to are 1890's but I rarely find anything from that time frame, mostly mercs with a few barbers thrown in, but your right. These spots have been pounded, most of my finds were shallow leading me to believe they were skipped as clad. Happy hunting out there!

I see you're from Worcester County. Where abouts? I just moved out to Chicopee.

parks

Most parks I go to are 1890's but I rarely find anything from that time frame, mostly mercs with a few barbers thrown in, but your right. These spots have been pounded, most of my finds were shallow leading me to believe they were skipped as clad. Happy hunting out there!

Interesting thread on the hunt patterns.......

That's funny that you say most of yours have been shallow park finds.....
If I had to look back and estimate , I'd say 75% of my silvers came from parks and a huge majority of them were deep leftovers other machines missed.

The last week I have been pounding a village square (off the beaten path), I know its old, but when I went there once last year it was all surface clad, (and tons of it).....(and I went with 17inch coil last year) .....This year I put the small coil on and just scanned for deep signals....ended up with 2 Barber dimes at 7 ish, and a nice surprise a Barber half at around ten.......

I see you're from Worcester County. Where abouts? I just moved out to Chicopee.

No kidding ! I have a few family friends that live in Chicopee. I live in Hardwick, but RARELY hunt here. Seems Hardwick was hit hard long before I got here. Happy hunting!
Interesting thread on the hunt patterns.......

That's funny that you say most of yours have been shallow park finds.....
If I had to look back and estimate , I'd say 75% of my silvers came from parks and a huge majority of them were deep leftovers other machines missed.

The last week I have been pounding a village square (off the beaten path), I know its old, but when I went there once last year it was all surface clad, (and tons of it).....(and I went with 17inch coil last year) .....This year I put the small coil on and just scanned for deep signals....ended up with 2 Barber dimes at 7 ish, and a nice surprise a Barber half at around ten.......
I can't seem to find deep silver really, most of my silvers were right around 5" and like I said above. Some have been just under the surface too, but I believe the bulldozers brought up the shallow silver most likely. I'd say in the 3 months I've owned the ctx, I've only found less than a dozen coins 8"+. Your posts was one of the main reasons I got a ctx. Love the pics you take of the screen and the numbers on deep targets. I run auto +3 sensitivity, so this could be why I'm not getting as much depth. Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom