Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Supporter

That's kind of my point. I would expect a 14K gold ring to be higher than a nickel, but in Vinnie's case it was quite a bit lower.

I think it means I need to be digging more lower signals, especially with a good hodograph.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Donsell View post
That's kind of my point. I would expect a 14K gold ring to be higher than a nickel, but in Vinnie's case it was quite a bit lower.

I think it means I need to be digging more lower signals, especially with a good hodograph.
Well,,just yesterday I did some testing with small thin gold ring,,,it read 42 in the meter with 6khz normalized setting selected.

Personally based on my testing,,,gold rings a good starting place to start digging,,is 38,,, with the normaization 6khz selected.
Odds are a target below 38 solo sitting will be foil or smaller can slaw.
No absolutes,,,and yes there are other things made of gold besides rings,, like chains,,lockets,crosses, ear rings, etc.

But I think in a place where gold rings could be has,,,this a good place to start looking id wise.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 AM

Probably because this ring is not solid, but open?
VDI was normalised to 12 kHz.
I dig everything above 30 when it sounds right and has a good hodograph.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:37 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
Did you try a little bigger ring and a modern square pull tab? Some of the those will ring up and sound so solid that they fool me quite often...actually more than quite often If there's a detector out there that can differentiate between a pulltab (modern or old ring style beavertail), I would like to know about it.

EDIT: sorry, I just saw your very last sentence!
The At pro does rather well for me differentiating pulltabs from rings.just sayin.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Donsell View post
I didn't get the orientation of the dime. I'm able to pinpoint things very well with the Rutus and it fell out of the plug. I was expected a clad dime, I was very surprised to find the merc.

I'll try dialing down the gain, but I'm not unhappy with the sounds on the Rutus. I've run almost exclusively Coins 3. I need to work on setting some tone profiles. I'd like to dial up the nickel signal.

I like the ID spread on the Rutus as well, from 1 to 120. They were able to spread out the IDs between some of the aluminum targets and coins.

Out of curiosity, do you have another detector with a lower shaft the fits the Rutus? I'd like another to make switching coils easier and I haven't found one that Rutus sells. The AT Pro shaft is a little big.

Thanks.
I am using a tesoro lower rod.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by NIBBLER View post
I am using a tesoro lower rod.
Thanks Nibbler!