Texas Gulf Coast

whiteriver

Hi Ya'll
Got a question for you folks familiar with the Texas coast especially around Mustang Island and the Inter coastal Waterway along Padre Island! Every couple years I go off to Port Aransas and walk miles of beach. This year I'm planning a trip again when the weather cools and since I just bought a White's MXT (1st MD) I thought I'd take it along. Just curious if you folks that know the area would think it would be worthwhile and what a feller might find in those parts and if MD's are legal?
Thanks
JP

From what I understand, you may be getting into protected areas around Padre, National Sea Shore and such.
I suggest you do a quick search on Texas Coastal Laws.
Port A, now thats another story.

I lived in Corpus Christ for 2 years. I left there in November of '09'. So, I don't know if any laws have changed since then or not. When you head out to the beach on Padre Island, one of the first things you will see is Bob Hall pier. I have seen people detecting from that point all the way to the national seashore. I always thought it was legal to detect in town, and in parts of Mustang Island, but someone on here wrote something about it not being legal. I think Port Aransas might be protected, but I'm not positive. When I'm out there, I always see some sort of law enforcement around the beaches. The best thing to do is ask them. Or call them before you go. Padre Island over the years, has had, if I remember correctly, hundreds of ship wrecks dating back centuries. But they are mostly located off of the national seashore. But people still find things that wash before you hit the national seashore. Especially after storms. Help this helps some. Good Luck!!!

Thanks guys. Last time I visited the Nat. Seashore it looked like a junk yard!
I've heard around the state property md'ing is ok but the seashore is another story unless something has changed. Heard of people have all their personal equip. being confiscated!!! Your right about the ships, I've got a rough map of at least 3 Spanish galleons that went aground in that general area.
JP

This is among the read at the following links. I hope it helps you retain your equipment.

(i) Metal detector. It is an offense for any person to operate or use a metal detector, except as authorized by permit.

The above is located here:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/

Mustang Island Information is here:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/mustang_island/

The headline of the second link is Mustang Island State Park. The use of metal detectors is forbidden in state parks without the proper permits. To obtain a permit, you must have a valid reason such as searching a specified area or grid for the recovery of a specific item.

State parks are easy to find in Texas. If you're driving along a beach or see an access to a beach or wooded area or anything of that nature, and you see a large brown sign with imbedded yellow lettering saying something like "Entering Mustang Island State Park" or "Entering Piney Woods State Park" just know not to get caught with a metal detector. the word "Entering" is not always on the signs so you might see something like "Sam Houston State Park" on the brown and yellow sign.

However, along with that bad news is this: There are several places you can hunt in the area and most of those will be city parks. In that case, most cities in Texas could give a rats a__ if you use a metal detector. However, it will be a good idea to do some homework before detecting just to make sure.

Hope this helps.

Coolwhips. :cool:

Whippy,
Thank you for the info. even I can understand this now. Next I'm gonna search some maps so I can figure out where the boundaries are. Looks like you also have to be careful going concealed.
Thanks again
JP

better late than never, I suppose. I contacted the Port Aransas chamber of commerce via email re: metal detecting and this is the reply that I received:

Yes, metal detectors are allowed anywhere on the beach of Port Aransas, Mustang Island. The only place they are not permitted is inside the Mustang Island State Park.

Thank you for your inquiry –

We appreciate your interest in Port Aransas and encourage you to visit our website www.portaransas.org for information regarding places to stay, things to do and all things beachy. All of our brochures are downloadable and printable for your convenience. Have a great day!

Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce

403 W. Cotter

Port Aransas, TX 78373

www.portaransas.org

1-800-45-COAST, fax: 361-749-4672

I used to hunt Port A all the time in the summer. My ex's dad had a place down there we could stay. Nice people (at least back in the 1990s) and great seafood!!!!!

Dusty

There is a lot here in Port A but the beaches get graded all the time plus they move sand from the dunes to the water line. This tends to screw things up for MDing. But there is still great hunting from beach markers about 24 to 103 here on Mustang Island. You may also consider taking the ferry to St. Jo island, that is good hunting due to history and it is basically uninhabited. Get in touch if you want a guide.:grin:

Back
Top Bottom