1848 braided hair large cent found in Seattle

HistoryStudent

Yes. It's true. I found my first large cent and I didn't even have to fly across the country to find it. You New Englanders find large cents by the bucketfulls but they're more rare than gold coins in the pacific nw.

I should also mention that the first European settlers didn't even arrive in Seattle until 1851.

The basic story is that I was hunting in the woods near where a navigable river meets puget sound. I was searching under heavy brush and fallen tree trunks when I suddenly got a clear solid high tone on my Tesoro Golden uMax. It was only 5-6 inches deep and when I dug it I thought it was just a foreign coin and probably not old because it was in beautiful condition. Then, I saw the 1848 date and I started to freak out a little. I still didn't know what it was because I don't know anything about large cents.

I calmed down and sent some pictures of it to a friend and he wanted to know where in the heck I was hunting because I had just found a braided hair large cent. My first large cent and my oldest coin so far. I was absolutely thrilled! I also won coin of the month at my local metal detecting club, which was another first for me.

c8763df425659fc2842f2082831afa8d.jpg
a500bc9a778d4db0169dd3f6aea18b60.jpg
45a006c26eb304478d484ec74bbf9756.jpg
fd75682aa8805d9827256e84c08d630a.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Excellent play-by-play story. And yes: You get 2x the "atteboys" for getting one on this coast. Some east coast USA coins were arriving on the west coast in those days (gold rush era, etc...), but were typically larger denominations (seated dimes, quarters, etc....). Reason: Cargo space/weight was at a premium. So ... why take 10 large cents if you could take a single seated dime ? Why take 50 large cents if you could take a single bust half ? Thus it's more common to find busts, and 1830s/40s seated, than it is to find a large cent. Heck, it's more common to find a gold coin than a large cent here.

Congratz on the score !

Excellent play-by-play story. And yes: You get 2x the "atteboys" for getting one on this coast. Some east coast USA coins were arriving on the west coast in those days (gold rush era, etc...), but were typically larger denominations (seated dimes, quarters, etc....). Reason: Cargo space/weight was at a premium. So ... why take 10 large cents if you could take a single seated dime ? Why take 50 large cents if you could take a single bust half ? Thus it's more common to find busts, and 1830s/40s seated, than it is to find a large cent. Heck, it's more common to find a gold coin than a large cent here.

Congratz on the score !

Excuses, excuses ! You just have to try harder. Obviously they're easy to find. The proof is in the pudding !

I would have to say that was lost either by one of the people moving out west or someone who was traveling to the Queen Charolette Gold Rush

Excuses, excuses ! You just have to try harder. Obviously they're easy to find. The proof is in the pudding !

Ok ok, I'll admit it: dispersion demographics aren't the reason. The West coast guys just aren't as skilled as the east coast guys. Right ? :sissyfight:

Congratulations on finding such a beauty! i couldn't even imagine.

Oldest coin- 1946 wheatie.

Back
Top Bottom