Grave yard triditions in the philippines

dirtykneese

Forum Supporter
Some times it is hard for me to explain things. Especialy here in the Philippines. When you go to the grave yard to pay respect. In America you stop by to say hi and leave a few flowers. :yes:

Well, Not in the Philippines. It is a party. :D:D

My wife invited a house full of people for a big meal. This bunch of people like cooking outside. ( see picture ). After there is enough food to feed a small town, Off to the grave yard. It is with in walking distance from our house Everyone caries something. Food, Chairs,, Tables and drinks, hard and soft.
Many of the graves are above ground. You sit up your table and chars .. Put all the food on top of the vault .
Now everyone start having a party. The kids get a lot of soft drinks.
The big people drink other things like beer and whisky. Some of them get a lot drunk . This will go on for a few hours.
Now my wifes parents are happy. Everyone is having a good time.

While we were there , there was another funeral going on across the street from us. I had to take a picture of what the funeral home was caring the casket in. You would think it was the mayor , or some big shot.

I know a few others can jump in here to explain some of the traditions here. A lot different than back home.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

KEN :D

Attachments

• Thanksgiving Day 2018 (3).jpg
    Thanksgiving Day 2018 (3).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Thanksgiving Day 2018 (6).jpg
    Thanksgiving Day 2018 (6).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Thanksgiving Day 2018 (11).jpg
    Thanksgiving Day 2018 (11).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 196
  • Thanksgiving Day 2018 (13).jpg
    Thanksgiving Day 2018 (13).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Thanksgiving Day 2018 (1).jpg
    Thanksgiving Day 2018 (1).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 208
Celebrating the life, the death was merely the end of a wonderful person. If you have not seen it a wonderful animated movie came out a few months back called Coco. It was a Disney movie about the day of the dead celebration in mexico, well worth watching...

I found some pictures of us moving my wifes parents bones to the new site behind our house.
Some of these might not be good for little kids.
We had to move the bones because their government was going to ransack this old grave yard for more housing for the poor.
If no one clames some of the graves, they get bull dozed to a big ditch and filled with dirt. That is the way they do it here.
Look at the two guys taking the bones out. Look at how they are dressed.

Hope you enjoy..

Attachments

• Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (8).jpg
    Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (8).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (10).jpg
    Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (10).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (12).jpg
    Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (12).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (13).jpg
    Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (13).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (14).jpg
    Cora's parents moved Feb. 14, 2017 (14).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 189
Now THAT is very Cool! The old folks can sit around and tell stories about the deceased Life to the youngsters...carry on the Family heritage and interesting experiences or events through out the generations by story telling! What an awesome Hearse too!

I found some pictures of us moving my wifes parents bones to the new site behind our house.
Some of these might not be good for little kids.
We had to move the bones because their government was going to ransack this old grave yard for more housing for the poor.
If no one clames some of the graves, they get bull dozed to a big ditch and filled with dirt. That is the way they do it here.
Look at the two guys taking the bones out. Look at how they are dressed.

Hope you enjoy..

No offence, but that's not a pretty sight!

Philippines customs

When looking at the customs over there you have to understand that you are looking at it through western eyes. Many of their customs around the dead are a little like those of Mexico , they get together to celebrate the life of the deceased ,not the death. In my wife's family they try to visit there deceased relatives on their birthdays , the anniversary of their death and other occasions. The family gathers at the tomb share food , stories & memories , share family news with the deceased , light church candles and pray for them. The whole process is a way of keeping the memories of the deceased alive and sharing them with the next generation. I am sure Ken's wife will enjoy having her parents close at their house to visit every day that they are there ,may be they will make a little memorial garden around it. I feel sorry for those that can not afford to move their relatives from the old grave yard , their remains will all end up mixed together dumped in a big trench covered in dirt and forgot about ,and housing built on top or right by it. At least Ken's wife and her family there will know her parents remains are safe and secure.

Normally I'd shy away from doing photo edits for a thread like this, but since Ken posted in his previous thread - "Here we go. It is getting good.
I can not wait till my next story about the grave yard. KEN.
:laughing:" http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2891786&postcount=38 it seems he was looking forward to more photo edits. (I avoided editing ones with bones though, just did the ones with people eating) (another member had previously suggested adding some zombies)

(Ken looks a little younger in the first photo, maybe it's the home cookin' :lol:)
Thanksgiving Day 2018a.jpg

Thanksgiving Day 2018b.jpg

Thanksgiving Day 2018c.jpg

Thanksgiving Day 2018d.jpg

I like how you get Ken in picture reminds me of the cameo appearances
of Alfred Hitchcok on his directed movies. Was kind of a trademark.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Good catch and very neat comparison !

.....I wondered how many would notice that Ken was edited in somewhere in each of those pics.

I got in the habit of doing that and just figured I'd keep it going :lol:

Gary is at it again. Them are pretty good. That one with the lady holding the BIG MAC, That is my wife. Don't worry , she never reads my stuff on here. She knows it gives me some thing to do while over here.
I sure enjoy the fun we have. .
Life over here is realy backwards. Some times you see something and you just shake your head.
You should see the electrician or plumber over here.. They come to the house for work, sometimes with a wrinch. Never have their own tools. .

Thanks everyone for looking and having fun with me.

work men over there

Gary is at it again. Them are pretty good. That one with the lady holding the BIG MAC, That is my wife. Don't worry , she never reads my stuff on here. She knows it gives me some thing to do while over here.
Life over here is realy backwards. Some times you see something and you just shake your head.
You should see the electrician or plumber over here.. They come to the house for work, sometimes with a wrinch. Never have their own tools. .

We have had carpenters show up to the house with out a hammer or a saw , when you loan them one you have to be sure to ask for it back or you will never see it again. We had a electrican come in to redo some wiring in the house they make a list of every thing they need ,then you have to make a trip to the big city some times hitting more than one hardware store to find it all. We send a lot of boxes over to the Philippines for our family there when ever i find any cheep tools at flea markets and estate sales i grab them up and send them over. I bet i have sent at least 5 hammers over there. We had the house remodeled last year in the process a number of tools were broke or misplaced. They found one hammer left on the roof about 6 months after the new metal roof was put on. Over there you never want to loan your neighbors any tool unless they leave some thing of value to be sure you get it back. It is better to pay the workers by the job and not the day over there or they will stretch it out as long as possible.

Glad you enjoy the edits and get a laugh out of them Ken !

No offense was intended to anyone with the edits, it's all just in fun, nothing personal, I saw the open hand with the arm up and it just seemed like the perfect spot to place a Big Mac :lol:

We have had carpenters show up to the house with out a hammer or a saw , when you loan them one you have to be sure to ask for it back or you will never see it again. We had a electrican come in to redo some wiring in the house they make a list of every thing they need ,then you have to make a trip to the big city some times hitting more than one hardware store to find it all. We send a lot of boxes over to the Philippines for our family there when ever i find any cheep tools at flea markets and estate sales i grab them up and send them over. I bet i have sent at least 5 hammers over there. We had the house remodeled last year in the process a number of tools were broke or misplaced. They found one hammer left on the roof about 6 months after the new metal roof was put on. Over there you never want to loan your neighbors any tool unless they leave some thing of value to be sure you get it back. It is better to pay the workers by the job and not the day over there or they will stretch it out as long as possible.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Maybe a solution would be to barter the tools they need, tell them their pay for doing the work will be to keep the tools :lol:

There are traditions lots of places that seem 'strange' to other folks. Here in East Texas in the late 1800s and early 1900s it was common to build a little house (kind of like a doll house) over a child's grave. I have some pictures from that era of a cemetery where many of my kindred are buried showing these little houses, decorated with flowers and other stuff, scattered around the cemetery. And as far as moving the bones of relatives rather than having them bulldozed into a big pit - hey, somebody had to do it, why not the family that reveres them?

:laughing: Nobody posting pictures is safe when Gary is around! That one of Ken in the little strippity asst shirt and shorts threw me into such an Anderson Cooper giggle fit!:laughing: Big Mac and a Whoopee Cushion even! Oh Lord this place cheers me up! Bucket of Chicken and an icecream cone dropped on the ground! Oh Man! :laughing:

That is a interesting custom

There are traditions lots of places that seem 'strange' to other folks. Here in East Texas in the late 1800s and early 1900s it was common to build a little house (kind of like a doll house) over a child's grave. I have some pictures from that era of a cemetery where many of my kindred are buried showing these little houses, decorated with flowers and other stuff, scattered around the cemetery. And as far as moving the bones of relatives rather than having them bulldozed into a big pit - hey, somebody had to do it, why not the family that reveres them?
I like the custom of building a small house over a child's grave, never heard of it any where around here. I have noticed at a lot of old historic sites where there are homes150-200 years old there is often a small family burial plot.

:laughing: Nobody posting pictures is safe when Gary is around! That one of Ken in the little strippity asst shirt and shorts threw me into such an Anderson Cooper giggle fit!:laughing: Big Mac and a Whoopee Cushion even! Oh Lord this place cheers me up! Bucket of Chicken and an icecream cone dropped on the ground! Oh Man! :laughing:

Glad you got a really good laugh out of them Mud ! :lol:

.....and you never know just who might show up in a pic ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Thanksgiving Day 2018 (6)mud.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom