First post with pics

durabostbay

Ok here we go. Vacationed all last week at the lake and took my detector. Played in the sand some and found a good share of clad. I also found this little thing that looks like a bullet. I first thought it was smaller than a 22 bullet, but after comparing them side by side they are about the same. It has that white look like the old "war of northern aggresion" bullets do. The other object in my pics is something I found in a old one room school building that has had the floor removed. My Grand daddy went to this school. It looks like copper but I dont know havent ever seen anything like it before that I remember. Any help will be welcomed.

Attachments

• DSC01745e.jpg
    DSC01745e.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 485
  • DSC01751e.jpg
    DSC01751e.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 460
  • DSC01752e.jpg
    DSC01752e.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 476
  • DSC01754e.jpg
    DSC01754e.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 460
  • DSC01760e.jpg
    DSC01760e.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 464
Welcome to the FMDF! Nice bullet! There are a couple of people here that are very good with bullets. They have answered many a bullet question of mine. Not sure on the other item.

Once again, WELCOME!
Doug

I would say that is a .22 bullet. I can't give any clues on it's age though.

The other object looks like some kind of pipe end cap.

That bullet might be something else than a .22lr. Bit hard to see from the pic But it looks like the bullet has same diameter at the bottom as in the middle. A typical .22 lr bullet has smaller diameter at the bottom so it fits inside the case. See attached pic. It may be rather old, kinda hard to tell as it doesn't necessary take that many years for a lead bullet to oxidize to the point it looks 100's of years old :)

Voriax

Attachments

• 22sllr.jpg
    22sllr.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 410
Voriax, you are correct on the dia. I never even noticed or thought about it. thanks for the thoughts wso far. Man this is a great site.

Sheridan Blue Streak pellet?

Sheridan makes a .20 cal (5mm) hollow base lead pellet for their air guns. It does not have the .22 rimfire reduced diameter tail end.

The guns are of the Blue Streak line and they are pump action and of 5mm bore. (rifled) I think this could be what you have. Get some calipers and see if it measures .200 or so.

Up until Ruger came out with a .204 centerfire round, no other US maker but Remington back in the 1970s with their 5mm Magnum rimfire made a .20 cal gun. Those two rounds all had fully jacketed bullets however. Only the Sheridan air gun pellet was pure swagged lead of .20 caliber or 5mm diameter.

OT

Screwed cap looks like a drain plug from a radiator heating system.

On the bullet, if you could measure the diameter it could help with identifing what it might be. As said above, lead oxides fairly rapidly, so it may not be that old - then again.....

with a mic it measures .205 in dia. and .345 in length

Is probably the Sheridan pellet of 5mm. They had a hollow base so as to expand like a minie ball expands in the bore. Quality air guns run at fairly impressive pressures and the soft, pure lead hollow base pellets do expand nicely in the bored. I had a Blue Streak as a kid and killed most everything a 12-year-old could kill in the Florida glades. I should be in jail today.

OT

Lol on all that killing you recon i can find some pics and more specs on those pellets online

I'm sure you can Google "Sheridan Bluesteak" or "5mm Sheridan air gun pellet" and get nice pictures. Be aware that some pellets are hourglass shaped and some are cylindrical. The classic Sheridan .20 cal is the cylindrical version like you found.

OT

I googled didnt find an exact match but some were fairly close. When I first cleaned it up I thought it might be a "BB" bullet any body know anything about them? I guess they would be .177cal

I googled didnt find an exact match but some were fairly close. When I first cleaned it up I thought it might be a "BB" bullet any body know anything about them? I guess they would be .177cal

BBs are for .177 bores. Most BB bores are smooth with no rifling. Some .177 bores shoot both steel BBs and lead pellets that can use the rifling for good spin and better accuracy.

In air guns the 3 common sizes are .177, .200 (5mm) and .22. Generally the smaller bores shoot faster because the air has less pellet weight to get moving. People who hunt with air rifles usually prefer the heavier .22 pellet at a slower speed or the mid size .20 bore that is a good blend of mass and speed.

The heavier pellet penetrates and thus kills small game better.

OT

pipe cap

The pipe cap I have seen before, on old cars it is a king pin cap used on a modle that had the grease zerk in the spindle not the cap.. I have seen most of this in the 30s to 40s.

Back
Top Bottom