Sealed Box From Loomis-Quarters

j_h_smith

Forum Supporter
Had to go to the bank today and they had a sealed box of quarters, so I bought them.

1 1963 Washington Quarter.

Asked about their policy concerning half dollars. Seems like the policy issue with their supplier is that Loomus will not take back the half dollars and the bank branch can't get rid of them. So, when I was returning the boxes, they wer just holding on to them. So I told them I would like 1 more box. She said she would order them, but would not take them back.

So my question to you, does your bank have this same policy? If they do, what do you do with your box of halves after you've searched them? I have no idea what I'm going to do with a box of halves after I search them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Your supposed to buy/ pickup from one bank and dump/return to another.
Different banks. Not the same. That way the tellers/management don't catch on to what your doing and stop selling boxes to you or someone else who is CRH

Your supposed to buy/ pickup from one bank and dump/return to another.
Different banks. Not the same. That way the tellers/management don't catch on to what your doing and stop selling boxes to you or someone else who is CRH

I use 4 banks and they all know what I'm doing. When I return the coins, many times they ask me how I did. But it seems like no one wants to take in the halves. My primary bank is the only bank that will order coins for me, others have told me I have to have an account before they will order any coins. My primary bank has been great throughout my CRHing, but they won't take back the halves anymore. Other coins are no problem. Like the box I got yesterday, I will take back today without any questions, other than how I did.

Congrats on the silver quarter!

Like joee5 said, it's proper CRH etiquette to buy coins at one bank, and dump them at another. So you aren't making one bank work double for our silly hobby.

Sorry they don't want to take your halves back anymore. If nobody will take the halves back, you've got a problem. I'm guessing you live in a smallish town and have exhausted all the possible nearby banks? Do any of them have a coin counting machine -- they can't really stop you from dumping your halves that way.

Maybe a nearby town with a bigger bank you could hit once a week to dump the halves? Open an account, they will probably treat you a little better.

Last thought is sorta obvious -- stick with quarters dimes nickels pennies until you find a place that won't be grumpy about taking the halves.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Take your halves and spend them,stores dont refuse them. I buy my lottery tickets with halves when I get them.

Yes, I was going to use them as, "cash" if I can't get anyone to take them. I use 4 different banks and none want to accept halves for folding money. I'm going to do this last box and that's it. I can get rid of a box of halves eventually.

Thanks everyone!

You should have an account at your dump bank also, otherwise you will give them 8 to 10% as a fee...if you have an account, the use of their coin machine should be free. That's the way it works for KT.

And ever try to spend 1000 halves? That is a lot of tips and sagging pockets of coins! Ha ha

congrats on the quarter! The other guys here have already said it, get an account at a bank, or credit union preferably, which has free use of coin machines. They are usually free to use if you are a member. I regularly take all of my different coins to dump at my credit union(which luckily has 4-5 branches that are about 5 -10 minutes driving distance each) so that I can dump at different locations and get to know more tellers (who now sometimes put coins away for me when members turn them in:D). This keeps banks where you get the coins happy because you don't take them back and they don't have to deal with them.

Your bank has fed you a line. They don't want to take your halves, period. Since the onslaught of roll hunters from the silver hey days (2009-2012), many banks and their management are just tired of roll hunters, which usually just cost banks money and 'tie up' personnel.

Like the others mentioned, find a bank (or better, a credit union) that has a counting machine, and will take your halves as a 'dump' location.

If they won't take and trade them in for bills, deposit them into an account. Come back next week and do the withdrawal.

Those halves are legal US tender, they shouldn't refuse.

They do have to pay to send coins back to the reserve. I don't think the armored trucks work for free. That is probably why they don't want them back.

If you find a bank that will take them on a regular basis, treat them well. As these places are drying up quickly.

G2M

Back
Top Bottom