Anybody know where I can find arrowheads?

They’re all over the state. The problem is getting permission. Crack heads & theves have made it impossible for honest people to enjoy the hobby.

Even across the border into the SW Missouri Ozarks...Arrowheads all over the place..the Ozarks are about the perfect Camp out location for Humans evidently......for thousands of years...

... Crack heads & theves have made it impossible for honest people to enjoy the hobby.

NEA farmer, this is an oft-repeated assertion. Because of a few web link articles that surfaced, where some dingbats caught poaching , were ... yes .... crack or meth-heads. And that drug, naturally, gives a high that is an upper. Where you can stay awake for days, being super detailed, etc.... So the persons in the link could wander known grounds, find the stuff, sell to buy more drugs.

But seriously now, besides those 1 or 2 links, do you REALLY think that "crack heads and thieves" are all rushing out to do this ? Of course not. Heck, I don't even think most of them can carry on normal lives. And would rather knock over a 7-11 to get their next fix.

It's just that when a single link "makes the rounds", then the psychology of shark attacks takes hold. No matter how rare, no matter how much the exception, yet .... guess what you're thinking the next time you consider taking a swim. So too is that "meth" + "arrowhead" link/connection .

And to the extent that ... sure it happened ... yet it has NOT made it "impossible for you to enjoy your hobby". Because if whatever it was that the crack-heads had been busted for, was "arrowhead collecting", then logically, that would simply mean they were doing it on some locale that was illegal. But wait, ... if THAT was the case, then how do
their actions make it any more illegal, if it was already illegal (in their given locale) TO BEGIN WITH ? :?: If they got busted, it was d/t drugs. If they got busted for the location they hunted, then it was d/t location. In NEITHER case does it add or subtract to the list of places you and I can hunt.

Hence I do not understand, on several fronts, how drug addicts, of any particular vice, had/have any impact on future laws.

NEA farmer, this is an oft-repeated assertion. Because of a few web link articles that surfaced, where some dingbats caught poaching , were ... yes .... crack or meth-heads. And that drug, naturally, gives a high that is an upper. Where you can stay awake for days, being super detailed, etc.... So the persons in the link could wander known grounds, find the stuff, sell to buy more drugs.

But seriously now, besides those 1 or 2 links, do you REALLY think that "crack heads and thieves" are all rushing out to do this ? Of course not. Heck, I don't even think most of them can carry on normal lives. And would rather knock over a 7-11 to get their next fix.

It's just that when a single link "makes the rounds", then the psychology of shark attacks takes hold. No matter how rare, no matter how much the exception, yet .... guess what you're thinking the next time you consider taking a swim. So too is that "meth" + "arrowhead" link/connection .

And to the extent that ... sure it happened ... yet it has NOT made it "impossible for you to enjoy your hobby". Because if whatever it was that the crack-heads had been busted for, was "arrowhead collecting", then logically, that would simply mean they were doing it on some locale that was illegal. But wait, ... if THAT was the case, then how do
their actions make it any more illegal, if it was already illegal (in their given locale) TO BEGIN WITH ? :?: If they got busted, it was d/t drugs. If they got busted for the location they hunted, then it was d/t location. In NEITHER case does it add or subtract to the list of places you and I can hunt.

Hence I do not understand, on several fronts, how drug addicts, of any particular vice, had/have any impact on future laws.

Along TIC's observation regarding the subject at hand...note: I also do not think Meth Freaks or Crackheads, Thieves in general, retain or harbor many worthwhile skills..they are out for a super easy and immediate score, not looking around for arrowheads which, even if found, they would have to sell...just too much effort for a low payback potential...

Case in Point, I kept my boat down on the River for several years in a row, tied up under a tree, under a tarp, all the old river rat guys warned about the Crackheads and Methfreaks would come and steal my motor?...I was like, Seriously?...This motor weighs 125lbs, aint worth $300, you would have to drop a guy off at the upstream ramp, he would have to get to my boat, take the motor, and somehow manage to navigate 3 miles of dangerous currents and sweepers, and if he somehow did, pick him up down below at the next ramp? Tweaker Please!...I couldnt do this myself stone cold sober in the daylight! This is one tough river to navigate on a good day, let alone at night..and, all the old guys along side are fully armed and have a bevy of guard dogs?...

Under these circumstances, I couldnt imagine some hopped up doper cartel taking the kind of risk/trouble let alone have the pluck,skills, and wherewithal to pull off a mastermind caper like stealing my 15hp boat motor, getting it out of there somehow, then redeeming it for quick dope cash??...Even if it was fabricated out of solid 24K AU...Its that monumental of a chore..

Naw...just too much dangerous effort involved for the payback......easier and faster to go stand on the corner with a cardboard sign, rip off Grandma once again, steal G'paws coin collection and run them through a Coinstar, taking poor working Mommas CC, or Daddys Christmas bonus check?...swipe some stuff from Walmart like normal?...

Hell, given the choice, for a quick easy $300? I wouldnt even attempt to steal my own motor myself!:laughing: In fact, I'd pay $300 cash to the first freak that could possible haul me down a new motor, and haul the other one out of there,...

Methfreaks are good to employ for painting a house or staining a deck, snow shoveling a driveway, Debating Nixon on live TV.......Mission accomplished in about 15 minutes!..traipsing about in a muddy field hunting for arrowheads? Piloting a simple wood boat in the dead of night and avoid getting plowed over by a Jap destroyer?? Methfreaks come up with the damndest excuses!

..Methfreaks and Crackheads are no big deal......avoid Walmart and you got nothing to worry about...us alcoholics have got to draw the line somewhere!:laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
Tom_in_CA and Mud-Puppy, I agree with both of you, however, I think what NEA Farmer meant was that society isn’t as trusting anymore and won’t give permission to the average Joe. I could very well be wrong in assuming that is what he meant, but that is the way that I took it. I mean, with his screen name I’m guessing that he’s a farmer and owns quite a bit of land and perhaps that means that he’s had people approach him wanting to search his acreage and he denied them?

Along TIC's observation regarding the subject at hand...note: ...

Puppy-mud, your posts are always fun reading. I still think you're related to Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, or John Steinbeck.

And ... as for the topic: Despite this oft-repeated supposed connection to arrowhead collectors and meth tweekers, you'd be hard-pressed to find more than 2 such examples. Much less than other crimes committed by various druggies looking for quick $. And yes, arrowheads are not a big money item (heck, are they even sell-able ?)

Speaking from experience.... I’m an avid artifact collector. I’ve heard from land owner’s mouths that they “don’t let anyone hunt. I know you are probably legit, but I can’t let you hunt while keeping the crack heads off my property.”

Verbatim.

I couldn’t care less what you or any website says. That’s exaxtly what you’ll get told if you hunt the areas in a 5 or 6 county radius from my house.

Period.

.... I can’t let you hunt while keeping the crack heads off my property.”

Verbatim.

I couldn’t care less what you or any website says. That’s exaxtly what you’ll get told if you hunt the areas in a 5 or 6 county radius from my house. .

Hmm , interesting. I guess I stand corrected. Thanx for chiming in.

Speaking from experience.... I’m an avid artifact collector. I’ve heard from land owner’s mouths that they “don’t let anyone hunt. I know you are probably legit, but I can’t let you hunt while keeping the crack heads off my property.”

Verbatim.

I couldn’t care less what you or any website says. That’s exaxtly what you’ll get told if you hunt the areas in a 5 or 6 county radius from my house.

Period.

Ok..now we are getting down to it! ...As a Native to the Ozark region, Global Free Ranger in many other States/Countries the format is the same...May I offer this free internet assessment for perusal and contemplation for possible permission asking behavioral modifications? You are getting way too many "No's" ...I doubt this will help on account of you appear to be obstreperous and surly with my Brother Tom, who has trod more soil, found more gold and ancient artifacts than about anybody here, yet you are not willing to listen to his advice? Happy to reason yourself into failure, disappointment, and blame others?...I get it, I'm married...

You are obviously presenting a common 'visual perception/evaluation' problem to the Landowner...its in your initial pitch, what you are driving, or what you are wearing...something is seriously amiss, and its all your fault....

People judge other people really fast on first impressions...2 to three seconds tops....especially some stranger rolling up into their driveway...Friend or Foe? It all comes into play, its not a slam dunk, its all in the little details...Does their Dog approve of you? Did you bring treats, scratch his ears and ask permission from the owner before giving Fido one? You get a dogs blessing and you are nearly home free!

Can you drop a name? Do you have any regional vouchable credibility or 'trust through transferrence' status as a 'good guy'? Building local trust credentials takes effort and sincerety......

Can you hunker down and draw an outline of Farmer Joes's fencelines with a stick in the dirt? Do you smoke unfiltered, only when you observe he does? Do you own a Zippo and know how to deploy it casually?? Can you talk about the Weather? Do you even know whats coming in on the radar?

Biggest thing is looking somebody straight in the eye and ASKING for their help...All Country folk are willing to help a stranger if they can, and its up to you to give them a valid REASON to say 'Yes' to you.......Never mentioning arrowheads, or ginseng, deer, or mushrooms, until you pull up out of the hunker, once their dog seems to trust you...

It really doesnt matter what you are saying, pretty much your body language and overall trustworthy appearance and demeanor make the difference, and to an educated Farmers eye, this kind of thing cannot be faked, so its best not to even attempt it unless a guy is pure of Spirit.......

"I need a quiet place to hang out at, wander around, kill coyotes, fix fences, split wood".....You never offered anything of value to any of the landowners in those 6 counties, yet here you are wondering why you got the rural bumrush?

In the way out Hinterlands of honest Americana, Wear a 'Dont Tread on Me' hat for full effect....get rid of that Prius, Bob Marley teeshirt, and 'Im With Her' bumper sticker! Hell!...no wonder you are getting 'NOs' in 6 Arkansas counties!...Where did you think you are? California?

Plenty of arrowheads for sale on Ebay!...I suggest that would be the easiest and most economical go forward in your quest...especially since you are no damn good talking to smelly old farmers evidently, and my dogs dont like you..I wouldnt buy an apple from you, and no, you cant give my dog a treat, get the hell offa my property!...:laughing:

Last edited:
You're not hunting for arrowheads, your hunting for old coins or relics on farmers fields and if you find a cool pointed rock that makes it's way into your pouch well that stuff happens. :D

Come on up to Missouri. Rivers are still legal here. I don't think there is any legal state owned property in Arkansas.

Anybody know where I can legally find in Arkansas? I am in the Little Rock area.

If there's no where local to hunt, you might look into flingknapping. I bought some tools and rock (obsidian) several years back, but was too afraid to ruin it. Well, a couple months ago I ran across it, and made about 20 pounds of nice sharp chips :laughing:

It looks easy on video... :laughing:

I'm pretty sure surface point hunting in Arkansas is just about like hunting in Oklahoma, so your options are most likely plowed fields on private property with permission of course, and public rivers / creeks where access is open. In Missouri and here in Oklahoma you can find points on about any creek gravel bar so they say, and if you have a boat to cruise the larger creeks & rivers that's even better. Just be wary of Corp of engineer sites, pretty sure they are usually off limits but you can check the regs at specific sites if you have concerns. Dirt roads are probably my best sites, they get worked out of the sides of the road cut so do some walking down dirt roads too. Other than that just keep one eye on the ground everywhere, people find them in odd places!

I've only driven through your part of the country-but I know it is very rich in history. I also don't know the laws regarding this matter there. But I can tell you that there were many indian tribes near that part of the state. Finding an arrowhead in a field is like finding that old coin in the ground while metal detecting-- I've actually found some points in my garden. Good luck on your quest friend :cool:

I'm pretty sure surface point hunting in Arkansas is just about like hunting in Oklahoma, so your options are most likely plowed fields on private property with permission of course, and public rivers / creeks where access is open. In Missouri and here in Oklahoma you can find points on about any creek gravel bar so they say, and if you have a boat to cruise the larger creeks & rivers that's even better. Just be wary of Corp of engineer sites, pretty sure they are usually off limits but you can check the regs at specific sites if you have concerns. Dirt roads are probably my best sites, they get worked out of the sides of the road cut so do some walking down dirt roads too. Other than that just keep one eye on the ground everywhere, people find them in odd places!

The way I'm understanding Arkansas law you aren't allowed to hunt rivers or creeks. I think they are more concerned with diggers and I don't see how they could do anything to someone just eyeballing finds.

Here in my AO , I guess you can just walk thru a field and look for the point sticking out of the ground. Hit a farm field that's been turned over ready for planting.
I was working on a house I was building a few years back , during lunch , the electrician just started walking thru the lot that had just had the top layer of dirt pushed off , in about 15 minutes he came back with a few arrowheads. I tried it , but I guess I don't have the eye for it. Good luck.

Puppy-mud, your posts are always fun reading. I still think you're related to Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, or John Steinbeck.)

Tom, I was thinking more along the lines of Hunter S. Thompson mixed in with a little Carl Hiaasen and Dave Barry with some midwest Samuel Clemens.
Ya gotta have really lived to have the insights and wit of our sharp witted articulate brilliant Mud! LOL

Back
Top Bottom