1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime

PacMan23

I've been hunting this colonial field for about a year and a half or so. I've dug some good finds outta there too, but last Friday night I found the oldest US coin I have ever found. I was working the bottom slope of this hill. The conditions were optimal being it had rained the previous 2 days. I was moving pretty slow, had the Etrac with the 12x15 SEF coil. I got a really weird signal @9in down, numbers all over the place but there was a nice little squeeky sound in there. I dug it up and wasn't sure what is was at first, but thought I had a worn out half dime. I put it in my pocket and kept moving.
Now...Saturday morning, having coffee I figured I'd check it out. I'm looking at it and noticed It has just a little detail left. I saw stars around the edge, but then parts of eagle wings on the back. I was a bit confused until I turned it over and saw a real faint bust with the flowing hair. My heart started to race as I now see the date 1794....Needless to say my hands went up, a few woops yelled out, my wife has no idea why I'm so excited. I explained, but for some reason she's not as excited as me. Anyway....bucket list to say the least and rare too. Here are some pics, worn out but she's still there.

Attachments

• 1794 half dime plug.JPG
    1794 half dime plug.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 3,937
  • 1794 half dime field.JPG
    1794 half dime field.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 3,928
  • 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime - Front.JPG
    1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime - Front.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 3,928
  • 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime - Back.JPG
    1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime - Back.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,911
Wow! What an extremely rare find! I wonder how many treasure hunters in the US have found a flowing hair silver of any denomination!

Your 1794 has a whopping mintage of 7756. :shock:

Amazing find! Thanks for sharing!

Wow! What an extremely rare find! I wonder how many treasure hunters in the US have found a flowing hair silver of any denomination!

Your 1794 has a whopping mintage of 7756. :shock:

Amazing find! Thanks for sharing!

I was surprised at the low mintage. Funny...I was there yesterday for about an hour looking for another! Wishful thinking I guess...

Back
Top Bottom