AT Pro not finding buried quarters

Hilsat

Purchased a new ad pro last week and took it out for a while today. While detecting I started to notice that none of the targets were what the at pro said they were and were near the surface. All were either pennies or trash. All pennies were near enough to the surface that my cheap Chinese pin pointer could pick them up without digging. So went and buried 3 quarters one 4in one 6in and one 8in. It will not find any. Also purchased the 5x8 coil which is what I stared with traded to the stock coil, same thing. Am I doing something wrong or is it the at pro? Any suggestions appreciated.

- Make sure coil is properly secured
- Check your sensitivity perhaps
- Check your discrimination, maybe you discriminated quarters by accident
- Do a factory reset if those don't work
- Put a different coil on (if you have one), your 5x8 might be faulty

If none of those work, bring the detector back to wherever you got it, or send it in to Garrett so they can have a look at it. Good luck! :)

Something does sound fishy. Do a complete follow on all cable connections then a hard reset, then test again. Anytime anything is changed, ie: batteries or coil or anything else, it is just easier to do a hard reset and start fresh. Just make sure to GB properly before hunting again. The AT Pro doesn't have many customized programs that a hard reset is going to delete anything important, nothing that can't be set back up in less a minute anyways.

Purchased a new ad pro last week and took it out for a while today. So went and buried 3 quarters one 4in one 6in and one 8in. It will not find any. Also purchased the 5x8 coil which is what I stared with traded to the stock coil, same thing. Am I doing something wrong or is it the at pro? Any suggestions appreciated.

You don't say if you ground balanced the detector, it won't do great if it isn't ground balanced. If that is not the problem, call Garrett and they might be able to tell you what else to try or if it needs to be sent in. Best wishes.

P.S. try an air test, if it doesn't detect a quarter at sensitivity 7 of 8 out to 10"-11" using the stock coil, then it is likely something is wrong. If EMI is so extreme in your house that you get beeps and/or numbers on nothing, you may need to do this test outside. Please let us know.

P.S. try an air test, if it doesn't detect a quarter at sensitivity 7 of 8 out to 10"-11" using the stock coil, then it is likely something is wrong. If EMI is so extreme in your house that you get beeps and/or numbers on nothing, you may need to do this test outside. Please let us know.

Tried an air test last evening. Sensitivity 7 of 8 std/zero mode moving the coin at what I would believe a normal speed I get 7" on a quarter held flat 6" with quarter on edge. If I speed the coin to a very fast swing it goes up to 9" flat and 7" on edge.

Tried an air test last evening. Sensitivity 7 of 8 std/zero mode moving the coin at what I would believe a normal speed I get 7" on a quarter held flat 6" with quarter on edge. If I speed the coin to a very fast swing it goes up to 9" flat and 7" on edge.

Sounds fixed! Now pump that sucker up to 9 in pro/zero and go dig some keepers! :yes:

Yes, the ATP hits deeper coins in the dirt with a faster swing too...

<°)))>{

TOTALLY. To the OP. Many people go too slow on their swing, essentially negating the ability of the detector to detect. I've seen it happen. Keep your swing about 3 feet a second, and you'll be fine.

Also, make sure you've factory reset your rig, since putting on the new coil. (Turn it on, then press and hold the power button for a LONG time.).

Cheers,

Skippy

TOTALLY. To the OP. Many people go too slow on their swing, essentially negating the ability of the detector to detect. I've seen it happen. Keep your swing about 3 feet a second, and you'll be fine.

I've had many people tell me that I swing way too fast, and that I'm missing half the stuff! :lol: I just tell them that this detector (back when I used the xterra) responds better with a faster swing.

I've had many people tell me that I swing way too fast, and that I'm missing half the stuff! :lol: I just tell them that this detector (back when I used the xterra) responds better with a faster swing.

I had a couple of kids in a park, one day, making negative comments about "that guy doesn't know what he's doing... he's swinging way too fast, and he'll never find anything". I just laughed to myself and kept on going. I clearly was swinging too fast to slow down going just to explain they were ignorant. *cracks up*

Every machine is different, but with about 1200 successful hours on my AT Pro, I'm pretty confident I'm doing it correctly. I only slow down when I've got potential for masked targets or when I'm separating. In fields for fresh drops? No way!

I learned something new....always was told to go slow...bought an AT Pro and was getting lots of noise, going to try swinging a little faster.

Turn on iron Audio. I did the same thing and a 3 inch quarter it wouldn’t hit. Once iron audio was on dang nails everywhere. I moved to a clean site.. nailed it.
This is called masking. It misses the target due to iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes, going slow, means moving forward an inch at a time every other sweep.. Infested, but rewarding areas get listened to, three or four times before moving forward...

If you can understand how a coil's field operates, you'll understand that, at maximum depth, it will take the same amount of time/swings, to cover a given area, regardless of coil size...

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom