UMC ARROW and MORROW???

montanamuzik

Elite Member
Yay! Found a headstamp I don't think I have. Took a stroll out my front door this afternoon to see if the ground thawed anymore. It did in a few spots. Headstamp is UMC Co No 12 ARROW. The other thing is maybe part of some type of machinery? Can't find any info on it. It has a (I think brass) plate that reads "MORROW 8226" Also found another suspender clasp thing. The oldest items I have found here on my place are 1870s (military buttons) The newest 1915 or so. Curious if this stuff fits in that range? Thanks in advance ~ montanamuzik

Attachments

• umc arrow 003.JPG
    umc arrow 003.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 280
  • umc arrow 005.JPG
    umc arrow 005.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 270
  • umc arrow 006.JPG
    umc arrow 006.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 259
Nice finds! Your ARROW will date from 1901-1910 and is a great find. It originally started out life as the UMC SMOKELESS. Below is a copy of a 1902 ad that explains the change of name.

picture.php

Great Find once again!

Doug

Well thank you kindly Doug. Of all the things I find, the only thing next to coins that is possible to get a fairly accurate date easily is shotgun headstamps and cartridges. For that reason, they are valuable to me and for your expertise...I thank you! Nowwwww.....if you get bored figure out what this Morrow thing is. :laughing:

..."first...was introduced nearly eighteen years ago..." ....1917. That makes sense. This has been pretty fun detecting my own place. It wasn't until I started detecting last year I even knew there had been an old homestead here. About the only other thing so far I have found that implies there were children here was a glass doll leg. (Not that an adult wouldn't have owned a bike) but it's a small piece of the puzzle. I am a little bummed I hadn't detected it before I built as we pushed dirt in every which direction doing foundation, septic ect. I'm sure I buried much away out of the reach of a detector.

Back
Top Bottom