1894 Morgan

CJ319

Forum Supporter
About a year ago, my father in law lent me his coin collection to see if he had anything of value. He had this 1894 Morgan and I found that just over 110,000 were minted. Unfortunately, it’s heavily worn and has been tumbling around in a bag of loose coins for who knows how long. I decided to get it graded and was slightly disappointed, but I figure it’s worth getting encapsulated for preservation.

Attachments

• 2314D1BC-2211-4EB6-9A31-7A9A77B4E52E.jpg
    2314D1BC-2211-4EB6-9A31-7A9A77B4E52E.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 0B7419E6-E7BF-4DA7-865F-D4F2F9B43F4D.jpg
    0B7419E6-E7BF-4DA7-865F-D4F2F9B43F4D.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 224
the good and bad of Morgan silver dollars

The trouble with circulated Morgan silver dollar is that there are so many un-circulated Morgans because the government minted tons of them and stored them in banks and post offices in bags. They did this to keep the western silver mine owners who were influential in politics. This kept the price of silver ore artificially high and poured the profits into the silver mine owners.

So getting mint condition old Morgans is not that hard to do compared to other coins that did not have those politics behind their mintage.

Update:
I was talking about Morgans in general not key dates. Yours is a key date and is selling for $400 - $500 in similar condition to yours.

Last edited:
It’s one of the harder to find Morgan’s in any condition. I like it!

Cool coin. If you don't mind me asking, What's it cost to get a single coin like that slabbed and graded?

Cool coin. If you don't mind me asking, What's it cost to get a single coin like that slabbed and graded?

I paid $150 for the PCGS membership, which got me 4 gradings. It’s $70 if you want just basic membership and then $35 per coin I think. I probably wont go through PCGS again. I’ve read that grade comparisons between PCGS, NGC and Anacs aren’t that far off. PCGS just has a better resale value.

Where did you get it graded and preserved at? I found an 1890 CC Morgan a couple years ago in almost uncirculated condition & would sure like to get it graded, but will not let it out of my sight....lol

Back
Top Bottom