questionable "lost jewelry" website

That is amazing. :roll:

I wish they would post more details on where these people lost their rings. I'd like to find them.

misterfact...

Your story is the reason when I am hunting I don't share my finds with anyone...

I heard a story about a guy metal detecting a beach and found a ring and a couple of beach goers came up to him and asked him if he found anything and he said yes a gold ring and they asked to see it and he showed them and they left... a few minutes later they returned with a cop and desribed the ring the detectorist showed them and he had to give it to them...

Live and Learn ;)

lost ring games

I would think that posting pics of rings we find, we are giving a pretty good discription to any one who has the yams to make a claim against the finder. You won't see moi posting any pics of a twenty thousand $ ring any time soon. The newer stones have laser registration cut into them. Any "reputable"
(I use the word loosely) jeweler can find the original owner. Finders keepers only works when you keep quiet. Example: Someone robs a house, steals a ring, goes swimming, loses ring, you find it, you post it, someone sees it, next thing you know, you're a burglar....Hope I did'nt ruin your fantasy..........Happy hunting......Gil

misterfact...

Your story is the reason when I am hunting I don't share my finds with anyone...

I heard a story about a guy metal detecting a beach and found a ring and a couple of beach goers came up to him and asked him if he found anything and he said yes a gold ring and they asked to see it and he showed them and they left... a few minutes later they returned with a cop and desribed the ring the detectorist showed them and he had to give it to them...

Live and Learn ;)

Agreed, it is the reason I soon will carry a hand full worth of junk and show anyone whom asks what I found the junk. Unless they saw me recover the item in question I would not show anyone my finds if they just happened upon me while detecting. Just my opinion. Plus the way people are now a days I would not doubt there are those out there that would try to swindle you out of a penny much less a ring.

Happy Hunting.
~Tora

I would think that posting pics of rings we find, we are giving a pretty good discription to any one who has the yams to make a claim against the finder. You won't see moi posting any pics of a twenty thousand $ ring any time soon. The newer stones have laser registration cut into them. Any "reputable"
(I use the word loosely) jeweler can find the original owner. Finders keepers only works when you keep quiet. Example: Someone robs a house, steals a ring, goes swimming, loses ring, you find it, you post it, someone sees it, next thing you know, you're a burglar....Hope I did'nt ruin your fantasy..........Happy hunting......Gil

I agree Gil but I don't post intials so they will have a hard time with those types of finds lol...

BTW

Are you calling me a water hunting burglar? :D

uh, Craig

Not in those words exactly. You heard the expression, "people who live in glass house should not throw stones" Have a great day....Gil the one in the "sunshine state".

Agreed, it is the reason I soon will carry a hand full worth of junk and show anyone whom asks what I found the junk.

I've been doing that for a while now. I have a small pile of pulltabs, nails and can slaw peices that I keep in my pouch for just that reason. I add my clad finds to that, and if anyone asks, I show them the junk and coins. Older coins and jewelry are kept elsewhere, and do not get shown off.

Last edited:
As a side note By not showing your Good Finds your less likely to get robbed as well Ya know Greed is a powerful thing an when someone see a Diamond ring or a Silver Coin an such anything can happen. My attitude is if i wanted the world to know what i found it would be on display...Allways use good sense when people ask did ya find anything....

This exchange occured between myself and "Mike-Dr. Amazing". Mike hosts a website where people can post valuable lost rings that they have found. Your comments regarding Dr Amazing's posting rules would be appreciated.

My original email to Mike-Dr Amazing

the website

http://www.reunionsworld.com/LostandFound/LostRings 1990 - today.htm

My original exchange between myself and this lost ring website manager has been deleted because of "no posting of personal emails"

Mike-Dr. Amazing said that it would be "fine with him" to post it.

essentially my original email to this lost ring website said:

"found- lost class ring in Baldwin , Michigan. Claim it by giving details.

Mike-Dr. Amazing said that he would not post it because "I didn't give all the exact details of the ring."

I replied that, "A crook could claim it if I gave all the details."

He replied that, "He would not post my find."

I question ANY lost ring website that demands that you give every detail of the ring you have found. It opens itself to theft.

You might want to contact Dr. Amazing and ask him if he has any concern for the true owners of lost rings.

Mike Korman

I contacted one of the folks who posted a ring lost in Phoenix to ask for more information as to the location and told him I'd happily take my metal detector to look for it. I hope he can give me some useful location information. I think it would be fun to help someone out.

--
Jim

As a side note By not showing your Good Finds your less likely to get robbed as well Ya know Greed is a powerful thing an when someone see a Diamond ring or a Silver Coin an such anything can happen. My attitude is if i wanted the world to know what i found it would be on display...Allways use good sense when people ask did ya find anything....

might sound crazy but i carry a 32 or a 380 with me when i detect inthe woods and in parks which ar located out in the sticks you never know when a gun could save your bacon

Recent Experience at Santa Cruz Beach

Santa Cruz Beach is a GREAT place. However, the homeless and panhandlers are thick as flies on buttermilk (especially north of the boardwalk).

While coinshooting the wall by the volleyball courts last week, a homeless couple came by and asked "Did you find a ring or a set of keys?"

This is the kind of question (especially from bums) that presses my alarm button. Obviously, a positive answer from me would have led to the same type of confrontation that was posted earlier.

No big deal...just sharing.

That website is also poorly put together aswell .

I think im gonna contact everyone that has found a ring on that site and claim them as my own lol.

Not really but there are people that would do that.

Putting all details like that destroys the purpose of having people identify the ring they lost.

Most newspapers run "Found" ads for free. I've put a couple of ads for valuable jewelry in the paper - "jewelry found at X park on date. call 555-5555 and leave message with description". I've only had 2 replies... one where a husband's wife has all her earrings stolen and he was hoping that the thieves tossed them somewhere, and another who was whispering that he lost a Tiffany diamond ring (attempted scam). I would NEVER post a description of a found item anywhere... a good crook will take any info given and turn it in to his/her item that was lost.

I agree I'd never give details.... they have to give me the details.... "IF" or maybe I should say "when" I find something of value, I'll probably distort the photo a little before posting it just for that reason....

but I have to find it before I worry about someone claiming it....:lol:

My answer to the question: Have you found anything? has always been: " Bunch of junk"

Back
Top Bottom