Where on the beach did your best find come from? Conditions?

Crumble

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Wanted to start a thread to kind of see where everyone's best find has come from, and what the conditions were like on that part of the beach at the time. Maybe we can learn something from it.

My two best finds, came from two completely different spots but both were after erosion took some sand off the beach.

Best find ever was about 20 feet from the bottom of the slope, on the flat, in an area that was getting shore break and the bottom was solid pebbles/rocks. There was a ton of iron and very old targets in the area.

Second best find was at the top of the slope after big waves had created a roughly 6 foot cut where the dry sand towel line used to be. Sand was still deep, but there was a lot of old lead weights and greenie/crusty old coins in the area.

What about you guys?

i've made numerous finds at the beaches and everywhere between the dry sand and right into the water (low tide).
to list a few: a Pandora bracelet pretty much on the high tide mark (couple inches deep)
a 14K w/g ring with ice a couple of feet below the high tide mark (fairly shallow),
a 14K w/g band about halfway between the high and low marks (about 8-9 inches deep!),
a silver necklace and pendant half way between the tide marks (4-5 inches deep),
2 silver rings, one in the water, and one just above the low tide mark (shallow targets),
a couple silver rings and a very small 14K pendant in the dry sand/towel area (1-4 inches deep).
a smaller 14K y/g ring with ice just below the high tide mark, maybe 2 inches deep.
coins and dinky cars at all depths, lol.
oh, i mustn't forget the pitchfork i found last summer in the dry sand. part of it was actually sticking out of the sand. :shock:

i generally hunt the low or the falling tides when i can. and most of the above have been in "normal" conditions, no big cuts to speak of, just calmer types of conditions, maybe a little bit of that scalloping effect, but nothing special to speak of.

I usually find my best finds at the bottom of the slope and 10 feet out from there.. during storms I will hunt the top of the slope as some gold can and does get pushed up the slope.

Most finds were in two holes about 10' apart that drunk surfers buried before a big surfing party. They packed up and left before retrieving their treasure. Which I plundered the booty after they had gone.:pirate: One hole .925 necklace and a very large diamond cluster ring had a blue stone in the middle. Second hole a .925 necklace a 1851 large one cent and a small ladies pinky ring and a plan on using it later balloon still in wrapper which I mailed to my brother. Who wasn't amused.:mad::laughing: But the very best finds have always been wet sand after a storm at low tide.

My coolest find by far is a gold coin, my avatar. It was a fresh drop. There was a cut...but it was packed so I headed to low tide line. It sounded like a pulltab. Found two years ago. hh gl cool thread. -Joe

Wanted to start a thread to kind of see where everyone's best find has come from, and what the conditions were like on that part of the beach at the time. Maybe we can learn something from it.

My two best finds, came from two completely different spots but both were after erosion took some sand off the beach.

Best find ever was about 20 feet from the bottom of the slope, on the flat, in an area that was getting shore break and the bottom was solid pebbles/rocks. There was a ton of iron and very old targets in the area.

Second best find was at the top of the slope after big waves had created a roughly 6 foot cut where the dry sand towel line used to be. Sand was still deep, but there was a lot of old lead weights and greenie/crusty old coins in the area.

What about you guys?

Piaget 18K with diamonds. Random spot in dry sand by lifeguard station on South Beach.

Last edited:
I usually find my best finds at the bottom of the slope and 10 feet out from there.. during storms I will hunt the top of the slope as some gold can and does get pushed up the slope.

From my experience I agree that the odds are best in this area, BUT:

1 - I rarely hunt very high into the wet sand and almost never the dry sand, so I can't say I wouldn't be hitting good targets there.
2 - Some of my best finds (including two heavy plat rings) have been in loose sand in offshore bars and appear not to have been recent drops. So if the sand is being moved around, sometimes it will be carrying the gold and plat with it.

As they say, ya never know...

Foiled

From my experience I agree that the odds are best in this area, BUT:

1 - I rarely hunt very high into the wet sand and almost never the dry sand, so I can't say I wouldn't be hitting good targets there.
2 - Some of my best finds (including two heavy plat rings) have been in loose sand in offshore bars and appear not to have been recent drops. So if the sand is being moved around, sometimes it will be carrying the gold and plat with it.

As they say, ya never know...

Foiled

Oh yeah... you are always reading where not to hunt like mounds of sand that was piled high... I was using one as a short cut to get to shore not even swinging my PI when I heard a whisper and decided to check it out... my largest platinum ring came from that soft sand coming in at 14.6 grams... usually those mounds hold lots of light stuff and pennies..

Ocean... wetsand (very sloped) top of the slope Platinum ring 2 carats, with 2 of the locking bands, one 11 o'clock and the other 4 o'clock space between all of the rings, maybe 3 feet,, total weight was 21 grams if I remember correct

Biggest gold ring ever found, that I have seen, 103 grams 14k, mid slope on a Very mild slopped beach...

The Chesapeake Bay... In the drop offs, blow outs, in the water, the heavy gold
Some thing I have learn this year is the sand that gets blown out of these holes carries light rings, so a blow out check the surrounding sands, Most of the time this can be in one direction, so far seems parallel to the beach, same direction as the blow out

I was digging sinkers in a small area on a fairly steep beach in Florida. I walked up above the high tide line to see what another hunter was digging and found a 14k white gold ring with three big diamonds about 10' away from them. I hunt that beach every time I'm down there.

Last May I was in Panama City Beach, Florida. I was heading back to the hotel with my Sand Shark and scoop when two strapping fellows asked me to help them find a ring. They took me to an area where 6-7 young people were checking out trash cans and searching the sand.

I stepped away a few feet and immediately hit a bottle cap. I scanned around some rental chairs and got a second signal. A quick scoop and I was looking at the most gorgeous men's ring I have ever seen. 18K with 4 big diamonds set across the face. Turns out it was his wedding band and he had gotten married the evening before. They confided to me it was worth between $8-10,000.

It was sweet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 375
This is more about the diversity of finding a target rather than the value....

Gold and Diamond pendant
Location: following a guy with an AT-Pro, in his footsteps at the middle of high/low tide

Platinum & Diamond Engagement Ring
Location: high tide line, masked by a lead sinker (under the sinker)

Ornate Silver Ring
Location: visible to the eye and poking through an eroded vertical section of a sand hill

Wheat Penny
Location: low tide, washing back and forth in the surf and visible to the eye

Mine was a real fluke, but should give the non water machine owners a lot of hope...

Way up the towel line, in a pile of debris the beach cleaning machine left behind...

27 grams of 22K...

IMG_3961_zpsb186ac69.jpg

There are areas that are more productive but I think the best stuff comes from wherever you find it sometimes.

Go get it!!

<*)))>{

Mine was a real fluke, but should give the non water machine owners a lot of hope...

Way up the towel line, in a pile of debris the beach cleaning machine left behind...

27 grams of 22K...

IMG_3961_zpsb186ac69.jpg

There are areas that are more productive but I think the best stuff comes from wherever you find it sometimes.

Go get it!!

<*)))>{

I know where you found that at! Shhhhhhh!

Most $$$:

Dry sand @ Minelab AC hunt 2014/2013 - 2 of the grand prize tokens and 1 large bonus token with an old Tesoro:) Netted me an Excal II, Safari, & Propointer. Epydemic can vouch for me:cool:

Most targets:

Dry sand/towel line (Lots of trash as well)

Most fun:

Wet and water, wet being my primary as I do not get a lot of water time. Hoping to change that this year. All my jewelry finds have been high to low tide wet sand as I hunt this 90% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom