Whites MTX or AT Pro?

Meatco1

Hello:

Ok, I am a complete newbie at this game, but would like to get started.

I have decided to purchase either a Whites MTX, a AT Gold, or an AT Pro. From what I can gather, each seem to be rated pretty equally, and are priced much the same.

What I'm wondering is, which would be a better machine for a utter novice to start with.

I really don't have a clue what I would be looking for (probably just meandering around, and seeing what I can find), though I live on a ranch with rocky soil. There are many old abandoned homesteads throughout the area I live in (Southern Colorado), which I imagine would be kind of fun searching.

Any input would be helpful!!

Respects,
Richard

Sound like

All around hunting grounds, a V3i or Vx3 would be good for you, 3 frequencies with the ability to run single, coins, Copper, Gold, or all three, happy hunting, Earl PS By the way welcome to the forum , Earl

I'm partial to the MXT, i have one myself,that being said, its very easy to learn, but very challanging to master, which keeps you interested year after year, the vdi is spot on, and the multiple modes are nice to, im not familiar with Colorado's geologic compoition, but the prospecting mode searching for naturally deposited gold might come in hndy out there as well.

I have whites MXT Pro and had AT-Pro now have AT-Gold. ATpro loves silver. but then again so does the MXT Pro. What you've got to ask yourself is do you see water hunting in the future? If not then just go with the MXT Pro and maybe add or replace with AT-Pro/Gold in the future if need be. AT-Pro is a great all around machine, It does love silver coins quite a bit tho. My friend has done awesome with the AT-Pro on gold rings at beaches with varying types of ground. Basically, Go with the AT-Pro or MXT Pro. Or maybe look at a diff machine all together. Others will put in their two cents.. This is mine. Take what you will from it. Any way i think you'll have fun.

MXT usually makes you hate it before you love it. I miss the heck out of mine. The MXT and AT pro aren't anything alike. Easiest to pick up the AT pro since you can even just set it on the old bell tone. If you know what you are doing an MXT will usually outperform an AT pro where I live. Results will vary;)

I'm a Whites fan....however it comes down to weight for me. Currently swinging the AT due to a shoulder/neck condition. its about 2 pounds lighter that MXT or V3i. Thinking about upgrading to the Deus just because of ultra light weight.

Hello:

Ok, I am a complete newbie at this game, but would like to get started.

I have decided to purchase either a Whites MTX, a AT Gold, or an AT Pro. From what I can gather, each seem to be rated pretty equally, and are priced much the same.

What I'm wondering is, which would be a better machine for a utter novice to start with.

I really don't have a clue what I would be looking for (probably just meandering around, and seeing what I can find), though I live on a ranch with rocky soil. There are many old abandoned homesteads throughout the area I live in (Southern Colorado), which I imagine would be kind of fun searching.

Any input would be helpful!!

Respects,
Richard

I haven't used any of the detectors you have listed above. I do read a lot about detectors though and follow them closely. For general purpose hunting I'd opt for the AT Pro over the AT Gold. The MXT is probably the best detector White's has ever built for the $$$. It does have a learning curve and it's not the lightest unit out there. Customer support from
White's is top notched as well. To get the most out of both the AT Pro and MXT you will need at least the stock coil and a smaller coil. I will mention one other detector you may want to consider. A Makro Racer. Unit is a new release. It will run with other detectors in some aspects costing many more $$$$. It's a light unit too, the absolute simplest detector to use for the performance it brings to the table. Again to get the most out of it you will need a stock sized coil and a small coil. I wish you the best luck with whatever detector you decide to purchase.

I had the AtPro and AtGold at the same time not long ago. I compared the two side by side in many situations....

I wouldn't pay the extra $ for the Gold again if I had it to do over, I did not see any benefit overall. It is a good machine but the price difference isn't worth it to me anyway.

I would get the AT Pro and also get the 5x8 coil or get a bundle with both coils from a forum sponsor of course.

Meat, If detector weight is an issue then you had better check the specs. The MTX is durable and heavy.

Thank you all for the replies, please keep them coming!!

Weight is not an issue for me, but I'm thinking I might like the water use as well. That being said, I guess I'm leaning towards the AT Pro .

At this time, I really don't want to veer from the 3 brands to choose from.

There are just way to many very good brands out there, that might work for me. Being a complete newbie, I would go crazy trying to decide which brand name, and which model of that particular brand to choose from.

Respects,
Richard

For newbies, I'd get the AT pro. I love mine. I'll be the first to say, factor $100 for a good pin-pointer. It'll make your detecting life easier 100x easier. :D Good luck!

I'd say MXT, Never been a huge fan of the AT Pro, the display seems based off the 250/350 which I hated, although slightly improved with VDI and slightly bigger? If it were my decision I'd go with the MXT UNLESS I planned to hunt in water.

I'm not a fan of my at pro had it for about a month now. But it is super simple to use pretty much turn it on and go. Watch a couple vids and you'll be off in no time. It is a love hate relationship for me I find it really inaccurate the vdi jumps like crazy it's too small on the screen. Everyone says listen to the tones but they are wrong about 30% of the time as well I'm constantly digging targets at 4 inches that grunt like crazy and they turn out to be clean coins. Every one of the 5 silver coins I've dug with it so far have had a ton of iron grunts with them and jumped from the teens to 90s. But I bought it specifically to hunt in water. And well for the price I feel like it's a good deal for water hunting. If I was doing just land hunting I would sell it and buy another detector. I will say that I just sent it away to garrett because everyone says it shouldn't act this way so let's hopefully see if it's defective and works better when I get it back. If I had to do it all again I'd still buy the at pro for water hunting. Don't get me wrong if you use it just for land you'll still like it.

I know it's not on your list but I think the Whites M6 is a much better fit. They are super machines and basically a MXTpro lite model. I've had 5 or 6 of them. They are Whites biggest "sleeper" machines. Way better balanced than the ATpro. But if your planning a lot of water hunting then I would lean toward the ATpro.

Well, I ended up buying a used Whites MXT. I couldn't pass it up, as the price was just too good. I bought it from a nice couple, who had just bought 2 deux(?) machines, and they sold it to me for $350.00

I would like to thank you all, for the time you took out of your day to help a newbie!!

Respects,
Richard

Well, I ended up buying a used Whites MXT. I just couldn't pass it up, as the price was just too good. I bought it from a nice couple, who had just bought 2 deux(?) machines, and they sold it to me for $350.00

I would like to thank you all, for the time you took out of your day to help a newbie!!

Respects,
Richard

Nice choice, and a very good deal. Great detector by a great company. Which coil did it come with? 9.5?

Yes, it has a 9.50 coil, not that I anything about coils. The only other item it came with was a case.

Regards,
Richard

You got a great deal on a great detector. The MXT on dry land is superior to the AT Pro especially in the area of ID. Once you learn the little things about the MXT, be prepared to dig deep. They are as deep as any machine I have ever used and that includes most of the top end detectors. I don't find the MXT heavy at all and I have RA that prevents me from swinging a heavy machine. It is very well balanced. I have the 6X8 SEF coil for mine and it makes the detector even lighter for general hunting. When I need to go deep, I simply change to the 10X12 SEF and a shovel !! Once you learn the MXT, you will never feel outgunned. The 10X12 generally is my go to coil because I have a M6 that I keep a smaller coil on and use in trashy areas. I like having tone ID in those areas and as far as depth goes, there is very little difference in the two. Congratulations on you purchase and you will find the MXT simple and easy to use.
Pesc

I just picked it up, and I misspoke, the couple I bought it from included a $ 100.00 foam lined hard case and a set of headphones, I think "Jolly Rogers".

What ever, these were just very nice people who've spent the past 15 years detecting.

Respects,
Richard

I just picked it up, and I misspoke, the couple I bought it from included a $ 100.00 foam lined hard case and a set of headphones, I think "Jolly Rogers".

What ever, these were just very nice people who've spent the past 15 years detecting.

Respects,
Richard

Even better deal, you could probably get almost $100 for just the headphones and case alone. Jolly Rogers are good headphones, they sell for about $80 new. Sounds like you're all set. Is the detector in good condition?

Back
Top Bottom